• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you spoil your Starter?

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    Huh... Usually.

I usually keep my starter 1 or 2 levels above my team.

My team usually stays around the same level. I am really paranoid about that.

So say my starter is the same level as my team, I HAVE to raise my starter before the others!

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    My starter is generally the highest leveled pokemon in my team. It gets the massages, haircuts and everything else too. So yeah. But there will always be a few others in my team too.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    My starters are usually no higher in level than the rest of my team. It's usually the strongest when I first start off, but after my second catch, I put it in the backseat to allow my other Pokémon to catch up. I probably allow my starters to be first inline for a massage, or haircut, but that's as far as I go to spoil it. By the time of the Elite Four and Champion, my Pokémon's levels become uneven depending on who was most useful and who was not. After that though, my starter is usually on and off my team while I try training new Pokémon for after the main game.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I usually keep the starter, and build the team around him tbh. Do you not find it depends which starter it is to how much you spoil them? I mean, in Kanto, I spoil my Charmanders because they need to be overlevelled to get past Brock and Misty, but if it's a Bulbasaur I'm using, he can usually walk through them, so I level my other pokemon more.

In Johto, I always level Totodile more, because I need Ice Fang to take care of Bugsy's Scyther (Rock Tomb is too inaccurate), but if it's Cyndaquil I chose, he gets levelled up in Sprout Tower and against Bug Catchers on Route 30/31, but then left as he is until Azalea's Gym itself.

Again, in Hoenn, I overlevel Torchic as it needs to evolve to take on Roxanne, but if it's Mudkip or Treecko, I give the others more attention.

In Sinnoh, as with Torchic, Chimchar gets overlevelled. However, so does Piplup so it's strong enough to stand up to Gardenia. Turtwig, however, doesn't get as much special treatment.

Overall, it generally depends how many pokemon I can find to cover their weaknesses, and if they are useful against the gyms or not.

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
    No, not since R/S/E. In diamond I left my starter in my hometown but in platinum I took my starter on my journey for the heck of it.

Fee Nicks

TekMage
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2011
    I try to keep my party fairly evenly leveled, aside from when I need to use a specific pokemon in my team to beat whatever gym I have to do before it (Extrasensory Togetic against Morty or Azumarill against Jasmine's Steelix, to give two examples).
    I did make push my Feraligatr all the way to level 100 when I first played Gold though; I kinda steamrolled over Red with that.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    Not at all, though I do have more pride in my starters than any other pokemon, with the exception of Empoleon in Platinum, whom I boxed after I got a Poliwrath.

Back