• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you still tip?

Sirfetch’d

Was discussing this with a friend and thought it would be appropriate here too.

Do you still tip when going out to restaurants, ordering in, or if someone helps you with something such as carrying luggage? How much do you normally tip if so? If you are someone who works for tips how often to people fairly tip you?

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I tip anywhere that tips are generally expected or common. I usually try to give something between 15-25%. I've got a well-paying job these days, but I used to work for minimum wage and I definitely understand how much it can suck. Therefore I try to be generous.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2017
    yeah, i always tip 15% when i eat at a restaurant. it's just a natural thing to do.

Lucid

Guys, tip, tip and show some fucking humanity. Waitresses and waiters get payed way below minimum wage, they count on tips. Slow day? Too fucking bad. The add hole in the kitchen will still get payed. They also saddle on the bs kitchen work that the back staff lags or decides not to do. If you're place has a bar? Lol. That waiter is loosing money, even if they open and serve their own beers. Most waiters get payed half minimum wage. This is why people's food gets spit in.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    over here in nz the tipping system isn't a thing so i've never had to do it here
    when i went to america for five weeks i had to tip and i only tipped like 10% the first time before i found out that 15% was minimum thanks to the person i was eating with so i embarrassingly got up out of my seat and nearly tripped over a table while going to the waitress to make up for my mistake
    i wouldn't be opposed to tipping in nz but since our minimum wage makes the need for tipping almost nonexistent it's just not something we think about unless we're doing it out of kindness

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Admittedly I used to forget tipping in the past. But now that I am at a job where I get tips (that are a privilege not a right where I work. They can take them away if they ever felt like it no lie) I've done my best to tip whenever possible. I just really think about it as I'm already spending money on something I don't need to actually spend money on so a few extra bucks isn't going to hurt especially if it helps someone else out.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • ~Every tipping discussion ever~

US people: I always tip because wait staff live on tips so you are a literal monster if you don't tip.

Rest of the world: Wait staff get paid like any other regular worker ever so I only tip if the service was excellent or maybe I round up the price and leave a few spare cents.

Now look at your location and choose your line to c/p!

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Rest of the world: Wait staff get paid like any other regular worker ever so I only tip if the service was excellent or maybe I round up the price and leave a few spare cents.

what Went said, lol

Though sometimes I might leave one or two extra euros/pounds, it depends.

Yeah I tip the pizza delivery dudes quite a lot, otherwise i just feel like shit for not doing it. The only exceptions being if like, I barely have cash on me and stuff. u_u

I always try to give delivery people the amount I need to pay plus a few more and tell them to keep the change, but that's just because I'd feel bad asking them for change. :(

Thephantomalien

Thephantomalien
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2015
    I live in Australia and we rarely tip at all; mainly due to the fact that its not needed because people who work at places like restaurant's get paid pretty well. So is not getting tipped detrimental in other countries and if so how much do you generally get paid for working at a restaurant's and places.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Harley Quinn pretty covered everything tbh. Tipping here in NZ isn't really a thing and we wouldn't tip unless it was out of kindness or the person's done a bit of an extra good job.
    I've never really tipped so when my family goes out to dinner sometimes at some nice restaurant, dad usually leaves a 10-20 to the waiter/waitress.

Years
  • I'm usually not the one paying for food at a restaurant where I should tip, but if I was I would do so. I'm just so used to it happening that I would be like, okay, here's my bill, what else do I have to pay, okay good here you go.

Haven't tipped any other kind of person in a while, because uh. Haven't had a need to. That's part of the reason if I order food, I will go out and walk and get it myself. :X Partially to avoid that hassle (especially since I don't tend to carry cash on me to just hand to a delivery person), and partially because I figure I shouldn't be a lazy bum because the stores tend to be right up the street.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • yeah whenever we go out to eat, i tip. well i use to always tip $3, but my boyfriend gets mad so he always tips lol.

Years
  • Well, it depends on the country I'm in, really. In Germany you usually tip around 10% in restaurants, though it's not a necessity and people usually understand when poor students don't have enough money haha
    In Italy it's not really a thing apparently. I tried to tip once and the waitress was really confused lol
    In the UK I usually just leave a few coins/change.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Before I started working or really had money of my own, if I would go out I would just leave a few dollars. I didn't really understand what was acceptable or why it even mattered, plus I was mega frugal.

Now I think leaving the appropriate amount when someone does a service says a lot about your character. At restaurants I typically tip 20% unless the service really wasn't good then I'll tip 15% or 10% if it was horrendous, but that rarely happens. It does suck I suppose when your bill is about $40 and now you have to shell out 9 more dollars on top of that, but it only stings in that moment and I think it's just important morally for me to do. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be servicing this person in the future and the kindness will come back for me.

Just reminds me last night I went out for drinks and apps with two of my friends. When the bill came it was a little over $43.00. The tip was about 9 dollars for 20% and I had to break another 20 to get change to give the appropriate tip. My friend butted in and was like "don't bother just leave 4 dollars, who cares?" Idk that just bothered me, like it's five more dollars I probably would have spent on shitty coffees for myself that I don't need. Anyway I left 10 because it was really good service.

Years
  • Also, for delivery, there are often delivery fees. The delivery fee's are only partially dispersed to drivers. But, then again, I am not going to pay $3 for a delivery fee, and then an additional $3 for a 20% tip on $15 worth of food (for two people). That would cost around $21 dollars...or a 40% tip.

If a business does that, I will limit my overall additional costs to around 25%. So, the $3 delivery fee + $1 tip = 27% additional cost.
    Sadly, the driver will only get about $1-2 of that $4 tip. That's on the business, not me. I am not supplementing for these businesses taking a cut of the delivery driver's wages in tips. Then again, in the US, the owner is never to blame...and then incorrectly cite laissez faire.

Also, if food is spilled in the bags, and the driver doesn't mention it (i always check my food before I pay)...I won't tip. Might be different if the driver is upfront and apologizes...but in a college town, spilled food is pretty common especially when I order chinese (and they usually just hand the bag smiling regardless). But, if the driver is FAST, I will tip another $2-3 in addition to what I was originally going to tip.

If we are forced to play into this idea of tipping being an incentive (which it's really about forcing costs on customers rather than servers) then I will punish/reward through my tip and not feel bad about it. The funny thing is that in the US it's never the servers' fault and there is this idea that you should always tip, but then again, there is this ambivalent idea that there is some incentive in the tipping system...I call bull on this contradiction.

If there is a gratuity charge for a party of 5 or more (15-20%), I won't tip anything additional. Then again, why the hell should I have to tip a certain percentage? That, again, defeats the whole idea of there being this incentive system.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I pretty much almost always tip $3 - $5 depending on how much I liked the person. It doesn't matter to me how expensive the bill was, in my mind they do the same amount of work delivering food to the table that they would otherwise. If I make them go out of their way - send something back, request something, or anything like that that gives them any inconvenience or difficulty - I'll usually add more to that, but usually it always ends up being at most $5.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Nope, never. Sure, it may do good for the pitch black void I call a soul but I'm too greedy of a bastard nature wise.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
  • At restaurants the only reason I or one of my family members would not tip is if someone did a really awful job serving us. Even if the customer service was so-and-so, it seems like it's just routine for us to tip waiters.

For delivery people or people who just help us out though, not so much. I'm not sure why. If someone helps me with, say, a big job, I'd probably pay them a little more than just a tip. But if it was just a quick help sort of thing, I generally don't.

Years
  • There are plenty of restaurants I go to myself and if they have the offer to provide a tip in a place where i'm sitting down at a booth or bar or something, then I might tip them. But if i'm at the mall and eating somewhere in the food court like, say, Chipotle, Tony Luke's or Five Guys then I don't bother.

Back