• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you think platinum...

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
  • Do you think that platinum was the real start of the 4th generation games? Maybe diamond and pearl were testout games or something like that. To me I think that platinum was a real start.

I just dont think that diamond and pearl were dominant enough. What do you think?

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Diamond and Pearl were pretty good, but I agree that Plat was the best in the gen so far. I mean, they had Looker. LOOKER. My favorite NPC.

Plus, the Battle Frontier is a good change of pace from regular gameplay.

Ayselipera

Well the third game to all the pokemon generations are usually liked the most. So I wouldn't say Diamond and Pearl were tests they were just not beefed up so much so Platinum could look improved.

The same thing happened with Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    no platinum is just a remake of pokemon pearl and diamond also likeyellow crystal and emerald

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • If it was, then Platinum would have come out first. It's not as if D/P were beta versions, it's more like D/P were v.1.0 and Pt was v1.5 or something like that - an update to the originals.

Years
  • I'm think that platinum had just enough to make it a new game, the features are nice and it really is striking to notice the differences when a pearl and platinum game are played right next to each other. (I agree, Looker ftw)

Still, just a polished D or P with more some new tricks.

Chatot Lover

happy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    To be honest Ive loved Diamond much better than Platinum. To me, DP were the "real" starts of the 4th generation. I mean what can I say? Ive played Diamond more than 400 hours and Ive only played Platinum like 50 hours so far.
    Of course Platinum has new features and there is the Battle Frontier which is a lot of fun but well... when DP came out I was so flabbergasted and couldn't stop playing. The whole WiFi thing was new and just amazing. I was badly looking forward to Platinum and when I got it I was kinda disappointed. It's alright but not "great" or "neat". In my opinion Platinum is just a copy of DP and nothing special.
    Ive always liked the "first" games better than the third game in a generation anyway... Red, Gold, Sapphire and Diamond FTW.

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
  • No I don't, I feel that diamond and pearl were the start of the generation since they added all of the new game mechanics and platinum as more of just an update to the generation rather than the start of it.

Ive always liked the "first" games better than the third game in a generation anyway... Red, Gold, Sapphire and Diamond FTW.
    lol Less content makes a game better.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • Personally here, I think D/P/Pt were all just practice for HG/SS. I mean, look at Amity Square. They took the idea from that, and made it so all Pokemon could follow you. It's just my thought, don't take it too deeply.

Sasuke.

Hope | Less
    Years
  • D/P Like G/S and R/B and R/S are all the two beginning games for a region. Then Nintendo Lurks around and listens to people's wants and sends out a batch with everything you could want.
    i.e: Moving sprites in Crystal, Pikachu following you in Yellow, National Dex in Emerald.
    Then they make the third release fat with the goodies.
    Emerald You can catch All three legends.
    Same in Platinum. You could have almost anything in there.
    And HG/SS can't afford to have a Crystal remake. Almost every legendary is available in that game.
    But regardless, the third game always feels more complete because it has all the flaws you found in the first two and fixed them.

Mawile

The Flying Beast of Beyond!
    Years
  • Diamond and Pearl were sort of milestones, and I agree that they tested plenty of new features. Obviously those new features worked, and Platinum was when we started seeing things really kicking off. My opinion? HG & SS are going to be AWESOMESAUCE if they're anything like Platinum. And I always did like the 2nd Gen best.

Zheeph

2794 3335 3469 - SoulSilver FC
    Years
  • I haven't really played it yet, but it looks like a giant remake, gigantic enough to almost make it look like a new game instead of a complete version of the other two, i can't wait to get it, because i feel a bit stuck with my Pearl, there's just not enough stuff to do, i don't like having just the battle tower, it lacks variety.

Fire Eagle

The Pokemon Legend
    Years
  • I would say that Pokemon Diamond and Pearl was the first ones out of the three versions because in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, there was more sun and regular scenery. In Pokemon Platinum, there's more snow and more ''colder'' spots in the game.

mStar

The Darkness Within
    Years
  • I personally liked Diamond out of all the 3 games, and that Platinum was just a game with some new additions to test out for HGSS.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2009
    Is the same of always.

Crystal: expanded history of Gold and Silver.
    Emerald: expanded history of Ruby and Sapphire.
    Platinum: expanded history of Pearl and Diamond.

For 5th generation I´ll buy directly the 3rd game and not the first two ones lol

Back