• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think scientists will ever be able to genetically design pokemon in RL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2012
    CRAZY OFF THE WALL QUESTION RIGHT?

Haha! It's meant to make you think!

Ok, so here's my basis.

The advancements in genetics and medicine came to the point(17 years ago mind you) where we're able to grow human parts on rodents and other animals. (Google Earmouse if you dont believe me)

We can clone animals, and even humans, even though it may be highly controversial.

And there's still so much more to learn.

Now, while it may take 100 years, 200 years, whichever. Do you think some scientist in the future, or heck if it becomes commonplace, some rich guy... could, or even would, create pokemon?

Granted, im not saying they're going to create creatures that can shoot lightning bolts from their faces... or any of that crazy jazz (In other words, pokemon without the abilities LOL)

I mean, i would have to say that in 100 or 200 years Pokemon may have been long forgotten. But due to its popularity, who knows how many spin off style games will continue to come from its legacy.

So we'll say "Pokemon of Future Generations" or whatever the form may advance to.

Sure, its a crazy question. But i always thought to myself as a kid, man, if i had a machine like they had in the movie "Weird Science" I'D CATCH EM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, your .02 cents?

(FYI - Let's keep flaming to a minimum please. This is strictly meant for theoretical discussion amongst peers of like interests)

Kraziub

Lives in a Treehouse Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2017
    We'd have 2ft mole things that dig tunnels faster than trains can move.
    That'd be awesome

Years
  • I sure hope so, and very quickly !!!! I think about the same thing everyday. That one morning I would just wake up and normal animals would be replaced with Pokemon :) But then again, we would wanna eat meat and all that. It would be kinda cruel to eat Pokemon. or their eggs. What do the humans in Pokemon eat anyway ? Considering that there is also plant Pokemon.

But I think scientists will try to create Pokemon. Google Genpets. Im not sure what that is, but it looks like a real life pet thingy that is designed by scientists. its weird.
    But if it's real, and they can design those things, why not Pokemon ?

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Well if you think about it irl they would either look artificial or really creepy due to natural deformities in skin and leaves and stuff.

But if I could get over that little bit then sure wth not? And then in a couple hundred years we could replicate at least 60% of the moves (obviously Psychic and dragon moves wouldn't be possible, but we'll see about that too)

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2012
    Haha! Right! Face to Face with a Charizard might be a bit on the scary side!

Then again, if they can genetically design them, im sure they'll most likely be able to eventually also design their disposition too. Then again i've heard dog breeders say you can breed calmer dogs by breeding calmer parents. Don't know the truth behind that, but who knows.

If you could own any of these pokemon, which would it be, and why?

And how far off do you think we are, as a species, from breaking through that scientific barrier?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2013
    Its an interesting idea...if not a scary one.

Think about it, it could be just like in the games. These powerful creatures (pokemon) are being created, and somebody, and likely more than just one, is going to want to use them to take over the world. The results could be disastrous...

I think we're at least fifty years away from such a breakthrough, probably more.

Would be cool to have a real life ditto though. I wonder what it would be able to change into.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Yeah, pretty interesting idea and all that stuff, but the fact still remains that Pokémon are fictional, and even if scientists would at one point be able to create true copies of Pokémon, they wouldn't really feel like Pokémon anyway. They wouldn't have the powers that make Pokémon, well, Pokémon. And like droomph said, they may look cute and all that stuff in cartoony graphics, but Pokémon in real life would just look scary as...

But either way, if it was actually possible, it would be pretty cool, but I think that it would kinda ruin Pokémon as we know it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2012
    Haha, that'd be funny watching someone try and take over the world with an Army of Charizard's or Zekrom/Reshiram or something like that.

Yea, i know they're fictional. But if we ever reach this point in genetic history, ANY Fictional creature/beast/monster/etc... could be created. I think it will change the world as we know it forever!

I dont know if i'd say it would ruin Pokemon though, and i also don't think that they would be too scary looking in real life. I would assume if we get to the point we can create beings from altering their genetic structure, we would also be able to make them look pretty accurate in their depictions.

I think i'd want a pair of Pikachu! For sure!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't think this is ever going to happen. Because...why? We're not moving towards genetically engineered, organic lifeforms. Those can be hurt, need to be fed, etc. We're moving towards robots that can't be hurt, don't need to be fed, and don't have feelings that can be hurt and people don't have to be careful with them like living things. No need to make Pokemon.

-Grayscale-

яιѕєη ƒяσм тнє ๔єα๔...
    Years
  • It sounds fun(I've already thought about this before), really, but it'll never happen. Ever.

I'm pretty sure the pokemon wouldn't look like pokemon anyways.

Years
  • No it could never happen. You would need to manipulate intelligence and evolution in order to make a real life pokemon and the way pokemon works is too complex for the real world.

Also as previous posters already said, a real-life pokemon wouldn't look right as they only look good with their cartoony looks.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I doubt they would be anything like they are in the games and I can't really see it happening! However it would be a heck of a creation.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2012
    I did say though, that i wasn't assuming they'd ever create anything with "Powers" as that is just out of the question.

And i dont think anyone can officially state "Pokemon only look good with their cartoony looks" unless we've seen real life pokemon to compare with.

See, as this is just a theoretical discussion, thinking outside the box is almost required. Some responses here seem based on strictly what we know NOW, not what could happen in the future.

150 years ago, if you told someone "Eventually we'll be able to carry around tiny little pieces of plastic, that we can view our friends from across the world, talk to them, send them information, and store it in our pocket" they'd have said 'YOUR CRAZY WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO DO THAT??"

With time, comes advancement in what can be done. I believe we are already in the beginning stages of what may soon become genetic engineering in the fashion i speak of.

Open your minds to what the future MAY bring, not what you think we're limited to in the present.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    Okay first of all, it is very plausible to make Pokemon looking animals. They won't be actual Pokemon. They will be animals but genetically altered so as to match the appearance of Pokemon. For example, just take a rat,a big rat, and change genetically its color to purple and its pupils to red. Won't you have a Rattata? You will. But what's so interesting about owning a purple rat if it can't use its fangs just like Rattata does or fire beams? Nothing special. There are many Pokemon, specifically from Gen1 and 2, that can be created due to their easy designs.
    We would never though be able to make their special powers and abilities come true. They are science fiction. I mean, how are you going to make a fox use its brain to move things. Even humans can't do that. Also, how about Dark Pulse and all those sinister moves? You know that Dark Type is Evil Type in Japanese? So I don't think we would be stupid enough to make evil Pokemon that can fire waves of pure darkness and evilness. Anyway, we may be able to make Pokemon that can use simple attacks like flamethrower or watergun(there are animals that are close to using flamethrower, they just need a flammable substance and some fishes and seals can squirt water from their mouth to knock prey off.So we would just make them squirt more water and with more pressure by fixing their lungs and abdominal muscles to be strong enough). Also thunderbolt because some animals can use electrical discharges so what's so complicated about making them firing those discharges? But I don't think we would be able to make them use Ice Beam and especially natural disaster type attacks like Hurricane,Earthquake,Blizzard etc Haha no way!
    Milk Drink, Softboiled would be rather easy. Just add a whole lot more proteins and nutrients in milk and eggs. Recover could be very possible as well. In the far future it will be no problem at all regrowing limbs. Scientists will probably find out the way lizards do that,copy it and put it in the Pokemon genes.

Now another trouble is the stats. Okay they could easily make Pokemon have high Def by thickening its skin and bones or condensing its muscles and blubber very much so as to form a kind of 'wall'. Speed is easy too. Attack very easy.Just strengthen its muscles. Sp.Def is also okay. Use blubber or some rubbery materials to withstand extreme weather conditions and lightnings etc
    The problem is with HP. Sp.Att wouldn't even exist as we wouldn't be able to develop Pokemon special attacks like beams and anything crazy. But HP? How in the world would they make a Blissey with all that HP?

So to sum up, Pokemon are highly possible to be created. At least we would have the technology to turn animals into Pokemon-looking creatures. But just a very few number of simple attacks could be made. And no real stats. Scientists would probably create something looking like Chansey but don't expect it to have tons of HP. So you had better not even try how many slaps it can take. It will fall after one ;p

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    you really want to make temperamental pokemon that may or may not take control of the weather, climate and other things, then have humans, who are well known for wanting to control everything by any means necessary, take control of them?

say goodbye to peace and hello to thermo nuclear pokemon war

Dragonight

Random guy!
    Years
  • It would be really cool if they could! (though they do have to make them friendly... Don't want to face an angry Rayquaza or something :D)

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2012
    thermo nuclear pokemon war

LOLOL! This made me LMAO so much! haha! I know you meant it in all seriousness, it just seemed overly humorous!

@OreoMaster - Finally someone who see's the possibility in all of this! :)

Although, im still not convinced the attacks will be all to easily recreated! It would be awesome to see them try though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back