• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think that prostitution should be legalized?

DoctorSlavic

Shotgun Doctor
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 23, 2011

...or that it does anything other than protect the people who willingly choose to become prostitutes, as in the ones who don't even deserve the protection in the first place...

I could quite possibly have read this wrong, but this sounds like a harsh blow against prostitutes. I mean, we are debating whether prostitution should be legalized or not, not beatin' on people who have that lifestyle for their choices. However, I may have just misunderstood.

I also still stand by what I have previously put forth.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I could quite possibly have read this wrong, but this sounds like a harsh blow against prostitutes.

Very specific types of prostitutes, yeah. I have no intention of giving anyone the illusion that I think willing prostitution is hunky dory, harsh as I may seem. Sorry.

Years
  • I am not going to argue with someone who can not see reason in anything other than what they see is right. If you think that means you win, then congratulations.
    I never said that illegal prostitution doesn't exist in Qld, and I never said that there are more legal prostitutes than illegal ones either.
    If you're not willing to accept that people have differing opinions and views, that really isn't my issue.
    If you're going to quote that article, and I thought you were after reliable information anyway, I'm not sure when news sites became reliable?
    But how about quoting things like "The number of street workers in the state has dramatically declined from 800 offences per year to 60 since the last review in 2004." and "The CMC also found no evidence of sex trafficking or debt bondage in licensed brothels" and maybe "There is also no evidence to suggest corruption or organised crime had infiltrated legal brothels."?

And no the govt site doesn't provide figures. But how can places that 100% REQUIRE protection for oral, vaginal and anal sex cause STDs to spread?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Why not have prostitution legalized? It's there body and they have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies; no one should stop them. Since some of them have STD's it's up to them on whether they want to keep doing their job and risk spreading the STD or stopping. The people that use their services should know the risk of picking up a prostitute, if they get an STD from them, then it's their problem.

:t354:TG

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years

• I am not going to argue with someone who can not see reason in anything other than what they see is right.

Oh okay. Let me just go ahead and disregard you doing exactly that then. G'day.

Why not have prostitution legalized? It's there body and they have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies; no one should stop them. Since some of them have STD's it's up to them on whether they want to keep doing their job and risk spreading the STD or stopping. The people that use their services should know the risk of picking up a prostitute, if they get an STD from them, then it's their problem.

:t354:TG

Well, there's plenty of pages to read up regarding counter arguments there. ;o

Let me start you off with the fact that they don't have the right. You're arguing that they /should/ have the right. More importantly, prostitution is often a form of slavery, not a respectable business of choice. The issue is not black and white like that, and so if you simply "legalize prostitution" you are essentially legalizing slavery, which is unacceptable. In order to even consider something like this, you first have to get into complex theories of practical ways to go about making it work, which has not been going well as we have been discussing earlier.

Even after that, the issue of morality and STD spread is still a pretty big problem. There is very few if any contraceptives that will offer reliable protection from STDs. Even the few that offer any at all are not necessarily reliable.

Not everything is everyone's own problem. Not everything is everyone's own choice, especially in something that so heavily has potential to effect the world around it. To take the example of getting drunk. If you want to ingest poisons, that's your problem. When it starts effecting others around you in the form of it effecting your judgement or anything else like that, boom, not just your problem anymore. STDs are an even more severe example, so I think it applies even more-so to them. That's not even touching the effect of telling society that prostitution is okay.

I could tell you how I'd feel if someone, regardless of how personal, told me I could go be a prostitute. Do I even need to expand on that? Have I made my point that this is not as simple as being their choice and their problem?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Actually, I can see your reasoning, and some of it I may even agree with. I have no problem with your opinion whatsoever. We are all entitled to one, whether someone else likes it or not..
    As someone wise once said "I will forever defend your right to have a differing opinion to me". I accept your opinion, why can't you accept anyone elses? I think that there are valid points being made from several sides of the arguement, yet you don't want to accept any og them?
    I am really not attacking you, just calling it how I see it. And without the attitude.

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
  • Well, on one hand, I think that prostitution should be legalized, although I think they should establish some safety guidelines: for example, STD tests from a neutral third party for both the prostitute and the client, so that both are fully aware of what they may be getting themselves into. Perhaps an agency...a legalized brothel, I suppose you could say, with as much data protection as possible for both prostitute and client. Ultimately, it is their choice to engage in such business, and their problem if they contract anything as a result of it, but that is going to lead to all kinds of mess to the point where it becomes more than just their problem, and if prostitution were to be legalized, the government should try to minimize the risk of any unpleasant consequences, for both sides. You can only be careful so much, after all, and if it WAS legalized, I imagine we'd see court cases about transmission of STDs and all the rest.

But, that said, I don't think society is quite accepting enough yet to allow legalized prostitution. People are inevitably going to look down on others if they make the choice to sell their own bodies, and that is going to lead to all sorts of issues, because society as a whole just cannot accept that people don't have to conform to their expectations of what they think is proper behaviour when it comes to their personal life. My personal opinion is that morality is an irrelevant concept, but unfortunately that isn't how it works in real life, and morality would no doubt play a major role in it, because in terms of general "right" and "wrong" society as a whole puts prostitution firmly on the side of "wrong" and it is going to take a much better argument than just "it is their choice" to convince the majority of people that this sort of thing should be legalized. As long as the majority don't accept it, there are always going to be problems, so with society in the state of mind that it is now, not only will prostitution not be legalized, but it shouldn't be, because it'd stir up so much trouble it'd be unbelievable.

So, whilst I think it should be legalized, because people should be allowed to choose whether or not they want to sell their bodies (provided, of course, that they aren't endangering anyone else) I don't think it should be, because legalization isn't going to equal acceptance, and its just going to complicate matters. A lot of people can't even accept homosexuality yet, and that is an issue that has been raised far more often than prostitution, at least in the media.

Years
  • As an economist, prohibition always has two effects:

1) A failure to stop the practices, rather driving them underground
    2) By being driven underground, it enables coercive practices within the industry

It happens with everything and can't be avoided. I mean, the state hasn't historically been very good at 'dealing' with prostitution, has it? :4

Back