• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think the anime has gone Downfall?

Is the Anime Falling?

• Yes

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Feb 5, 2012
    I don't think it went down hill at all. I personally believe the anime is attracting more and more younger people every time Ash reaches a new region. So I voted no.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
  • I don't think it is IMO. Kanto was good back in the day, but now it seems boring. I prefer the new battle styles, animation and attacks, makes it more interesting to watch.

Although I'll admit that the anime hasn't really developed as well as it could have by now but I still like it :)

Guest123_x1

The anime has been going downhill since Johto started focusing more on side stories/fillers than gym battles and the goal of getting into the league championships.
    The downward slide escalated when Misty left. Then May left, then Dawn left, and so on.

Psyshock

Psychic Type Master
    Years
  • Some of us might think it's going downhill because we're getting older and the theme of Pokemon seems kind of kiddy now(at least that's how I'm starting to feel) but I think it's doing OK as of right now. I think its biggest downturn was the whole Hoenn saga when sales were dropping and whatnot.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Best Wishes is a step up from Diamond and Pearl so it's not going downhill. If this where last year, I'd say yes, it is going downhill.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Sinnoh was a big drop in quality for the anime, but Best Wishes is completely redeeming it. Hoenn was quite engaging, though a little long. Johto was vaguely interesting. Kanto/Orange Islands are classic.

So there are good seasons and bad seasons, impressive episodes and terrible ones, but Pokemon is no longer falling down.

ShockHERO

#TeamSonia Member
    Years
  • I guess the people (i think it's still 4Kids) in charge (becides the Pokemon Company) of the anime are finally listening to thier fans and bringing back some of the most favorite elements of the anime's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th seasons, like "Who's That Pokemon" and i herd from a friend that they are bringing back some of the orgional Anime songs from the first couple of seasons. I know one was already on there though. And thier combining old elements with the new graphics, voice overs, ect. And if the Story for the Games Black &White was epic think of what they would do for the anime once Team Plazma & N are in it. N's voice would probally be the same as Barry's. But what sucks is that Ash is still 10 freakin years old. He shold be like in his late teens or adulthood by now yet they changed his voiceover (i know why dont tell me) WTF?!

true true and i agree I stopped watching it after Diamond & Pearl's First season Finished. and u frogot Johto (those three of five sesions were the best) The Orgional and Organge League Seasons were as u said classic and had more anime quality unlike the anime's Sinnoh Saga. It was just too serious and they made some of the heros annoying with catchphrases like "No Need To Worry" and others. Finally the last thing i hated about the "DP" Seasons (not counting Diamond&Pearl) was the length from getting to Gym to Gym and those freakin contest episodes are boring as crap. In the "Advanced" and "Battle Frontier" Sagas The Contest Episodes Has Kinda of an exciting side story to them. But any to wrap this up i just have to say this, My thoughts for a spin-off season like Cronicles is something dealing with Max (man his secnes were funni) I mean the last we saw him was in Battle Frontier. oh i almost forgot.... The Love Intrest..... but that's for another post.

Zerkrom
    TheHedgehog, Master Of Thunder

true true and i agree I stopped watching it after Diamond & Pearl's First season Finished. and u frogot Johto (those three of five sesions were the best) The Orgional and Organge League Seasons were as u said classic and had more anime quality unlike the anime's Sinnoh Saga. It was just too serious and they made some of the heros annoying with catchphrases like "No Need To Worry" and others. Finally the last thing i hated about the "DP" Seasons (not counting Diamond&Pearl) was the length from getting to Gym to Gym and those freakin contest episodes are boring as crap. In the "Advanced" and "Battle Frontier" Sagas The Contest Episodes Has Kinda of an exciting side story to them. But any to wrap this up i just have to say this, My thoughts for a spin-off season like Cronicles is something dealing with Max (man his secnes were funni) I mean the last we saw him was in Battle Frontier. oh i almost forgot.... The Love Intrest..... but that's for another post.

Zerkrom
    TheHedgehog, Master Of Thunder

Last edited:

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • Is the Anime Falling?
    In my opinion, no. The anime has always been lacklustre since Kanto. My opinion may lack water since I didn't watch much of Hoenn or Sinnoh. You could say that is the point; it didn't engage me enough to keep watching since Johto. I only have two shallow reasons why I'm taking an interest in Best Wishes!- one, Dento, and two, I like the new Pokemon. However, I've watched about 15 episodes, and can say that the quality is an improvement from the previous generation.

They made Iris almost blindingly irritating. She is the 8th Gym Leader (in White), for God's sake- and from what I've seen, she's not as competent/has potential as I have hoped. Instead of inexplicably changing Iris, they should have just made Touka the token annoying female. As for Dento, they did a 180 on his personality- he went from shy and unconfident to confident and bold. I was surprised by the change, but accepted it. He may have his Gary Stu moments, but he's still more interesting than Ash and Iris COMBINED. Of course, that is my opinion, not a statement of fact~

Im Guessing its true what you say.its sucks that they are targeting kids now :/
    They've ALWAYS been targeting kids, m'dear. Especially in Japan. Well, the last time I was there, at least. The older kids stick with the game WAY more than the anime.

Am I the only one bothered that they have chased around a kid for 5 years attempting to steal a weak, electric rat and get their asses kicked every single time?
    LOL. They should just catch one (can't remember their reason for wanting Ash's Pikachu). Or get Pikachu with a Ditto in a Day Care Centre. Problem solved! It's more than 5 years, but that adds to their fail charm.

But what sucks is that Ash is still 10 freakin years old. He shold be like in his late teens or adulthood by now
    Logically, yes. He's not meant to age. The anime is designed to cater to new fans, not the old. No wonder he resets all the time. Pokemon to Nintendo is about MONEYZ, not actually keeping old fans happy. It's sad, but that's marketing for you. Pokemon is a reflection of Nintendo's tendency to recycle. #All your odds and ends, things that you can mend, all that junk you've been storing in your shed... RE-CY-CLE!#

It would have been very interesting to observe Ash mature as a person, rather than just as a trainer... consistently... over the many seasons. By now, Ash should be the Greatest F***in' Trainer in the Universe. In Pokemon's defence, who wants to watch Ash and Pikachu own everybody for over a hundred episodes? Like young children care about that. It's all about "KOOL BATTLES!!!1!1!"

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Are you kidding me? Best Wishes has made it ten times better, better animation, better comedy, better sidekicks. I've been enjoying it a lot more these days, I mean I also liked D/P and all the other past series of course but this one has really kept my intrest.

ShockHERO

#TeamSonia Member
    Years
  • In my opinion, no. The anime has always been lacklustre since Kanto. My opinion may lack water since I didn't watch much of Hoenn or Sinnoh. You could say that is the point; it didn't engage me enough to keep watching since Johto. I only have two shallow reasons why I'm taking an interest in Best Wishes!- one, Dento, and two, I like the new Pokemon. However, I've watched about 15 episodes, and can say that the quality is an improvement from the previous generation.

They made Iris almost blindingly irritating. She is the 8th Gym Leader (in White), for God's sake- and from what I've seen, she's not as competent/has potential as I have hoped. Instead of inexplicably changing Iris, they should have just made Touka the token annoying female. As for Dento, they did a 180 on his personality- he went from shy and unconfident to confident and bold. I was surprised by the change, but accepted it. He may have his Gary Stu moments, but he's still more interesting than Ash and Iris COMBINED. Of course, that is my opinion, not a statement of fact~

They've ALWAYS been targeting kids, m'dear. Especially in Japan. Well, the last time I was there, at least. The older kids stick with the game WAY more than the anime.

LOL. They should just catch one (can't remember their reason for wanting Ash's Pikachu). Or get Pikachu with a Ditto in a Day Care Centre. Problem solved! It's more than 5 years, but that adds to their fail charm.

Logically, yes. He's not meant to age. The anime is designed to cater to new fans, not the old. No wonder he resets all the time. Pokemon to Nintendo is about MONEYZ, not actually keeping old fans happy. It's sad, but that's marketing for you. Pokemon is a reflection of Nintendo's tendency to recycle. #All your odds and ends, things that you can mend, all that junk you've been storing in your shed... RE-CY-CLE!#

It would have been very interesting to observe Ash mature as a person, rather than just as a trainer... consistently... over the many seasons. By now, Ash should be the Greatest F***in' Trainer in the Universe. In Pokemon's defence, who wants to watch Ash and Pikachu own everybody for over a hundred episodes? Like young children care about that. It's all about "KOOL BATTLES!!!1!1!"

True what u say about reseting the series but if they wantrd to start from a new begining and i agree that Ash shoild have been Named Master of the world by now i think that in the lase episode og the D/P saga they should have done like they did in the last episodes of DBZ withe thae whole year jumping and the growing up and the children (u know what i mean) and that Best Wishes (Black and White) should have the Male hero from black and white take over or hav him as Ash's son. And the thing abou iris.... I agree 100% percent. I mean even though she was a gym leader (like misty was when she and ash first met) she is proven to be moar immature that even ash was in the beging yet she calls him a kid. /:/ and u know how they changed the 8th leader in the Advanced Saga (Wallace => Jaun) they may change her or her alternate in black version (lol grey version) so yea.........

Are you kidding me? Best Wishes has made it ten times better, better animation, better comedy, better sidekicks. I've been enjoying it a lot more these days, I mean I also liked D/P and all the other past series of course but this one has really kept my intrest.

D/P season 1 was ok the theme was the only thing i reely liked. but after that it sucked....BIG POKE BALLZ (annoying contedt episodes.... -.-)

Last edited:

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • BTW isn't it "gone downhill," not "downfall"? Oh, whatevs~

True what u say about reseting the series but if they wantrd to start from a new begining and i agree that Ash shoild have been Named Master of the world by now i think that in the lase episode og the D/P saga they should have done like they did in the last episodes of DBZ withe thae whole year jumping and the growing up and the children (u know what i mean)

In a non-insulting way, I want to tell you that it's called a timeskip, bro!

and that Best Wishes (Black and White) should have the Male hero from black and white take over or hav him as Ash's son.

I don't see why quite a few people think that a new main character should be Ash's child. I don't see the significance of that. The problem is how the anime characterises him, not who it is. If they can't characterise Ash well, they probably won't fair any better with Touya. I see your point though- a fresh start would mix things up! =) Until we get bored, and want a new main character... can't win!

and u know how they changed the 8th leader in the Advanced Saga (Wallace => Jaun) they may change her or her alternate in black version (lol grey version) so yea.........

Had no idea! Did they have a good reason? I'm thinking not, as usual. I haven't properly watched Advance, so maybe I can't judge. I barely remember Johto, and Kanto is fading from memory. Grey version- complete with MOVING SPRITES ZOMG! They better not change Iris, 'cos the in-game Iris is pretty cool.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't think the anime has gone downhill yet. A lot of people appreciate the fresh start that BW brought, but Ash becoming a newb all over again is just plain annoying.

Baconkillszombies

I AM NOT A ZOMBIE >.>
    Years
  • Am I the only one bothered that they have chased around a kid for 5 years attempting to steal a weak, electric rat and get their asses kicked every single time?

Lamest villains ever.
    Jessie and James aren't meant to be real villians; they are just side characters who try to act bad I guess. Now they are the goofy nutcases who stand on the sidelines and try to earn money in the most random of ways.

Ever since Arbok aand Koffing left, their roles have been sorta seesawing between Stealing pikachu and comic relief.

As for the original topic: I like the anime in short spurts and I would be disappointed if it ended before ash wins gets to fight one legitimate Championship.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • Jessie and James aren't meant to be real villians; they are just side characters who try to act bad I guess. Now they are the goofy nutcases who stand on the sidelines and try to earn money in the most random of ways.

I get what you mean, dude, but they're still technically antagonists. They're villiains. Just because they're not as evil as villains are expected to be, doesn't make them any less of villains.

Ever since Arbok aand Koffing left, their roles have been sorta seesawing between Stealing pikachu and comic relief.

I thought they've always been both? The changes are episodic, imo. I miss Koffing and Arbok~

As for the original topic: I like the anime in short spurts and I would be disappointed if it ended before ash wins gets to fight one legitimate Championship.

Yeah, watching too many episodes numbs the brain! Brain-numbing is sometimes awesome, but you still need it to remember how to click to the next episode.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    It's the same as it's always been. Older fans are just growing out it for the most part due to how much the series rehashes things. I'm sure the younger generation thinks it's the coolest show ever.

wittyname

None
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2011
    I love the show. But I have only one problem with it, Ash always ends up sucking whenever he enters a new region. Why? It's excruciating to see him get into the top 8 in the johto league only to see him get owned by a wild treecko (or however you spell it) and a gym leader a few episodes later.

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • As soon as Johto finished really. Since then in my opinion Ash completely changed, he's not the same character anymore. You can also say the anime's downfall relates to the movies getting worse and worse. It's because it's more about advertisement and branding the new Pokémon rather than a good tv show.

No series will be as good as the first few, but DP was an all time low. At least Best Wishes is alright.

I know Ash starts out as a newb for the last couple of regions, which I agree with up to a point. Making him completely forget everything is a tad annoying. But, he's never been great at catching Pokémon, ever. There's only a few occasions where he has done well to catch a Pokémon, so the Snivy episode was good to see.

Just wish the anime would stop saying about type advantages and disadvantages every damn episode. Kids would know that by now by playing the games, give the younger generation a bit of credit.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Just wish the anime would stop saying about type advantages and disadvantages every damn episode. Kids would know that by now by playing the games, give the younger generation a bit of credit.

Don't forget that not everyone who watches the anime plays the games so that talk about types, moves and abilities are necessary.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • Don't forget that not everyone who watches the anime plays the games so that talk about types, moves and abilities are necessary.

More the fact that a lot of anime watchers are casual watchers who aren't as clued up on the entire laws and strategies of pokemon battles and so need reminding a lot.

Not being disparaging or obviously saying this with any intended malice to the people on this board, but people who generally join and participate on online forums for Pokemon Anime are the more fanatical and geeky (yes I include myself in this) set of Pokemon anime watchers who naturally already know nearly everything there is to know. There's also an audience who just watch the show but aren't as committed to knowing everything and spending their free time researching and debating Pokemon (hey maybe they have lives :D).

It's the same reason why Ash always uses his Pokedex, even if it's a pokemon he's already seen in the past.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Eh, I find that it is the same quality as it always was. A enjoyable show if you watch it just to have fun.

Back