• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use Standard or ClearType text?

Years
  • We all love ClearType for its sleek, sexy, smooth edges but I like the sharper standard because ClearType blur hurts the eyes a bit.

Last edited:

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    I'm using Linux, I only know the fonts on my screen are smoothed.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • We all love ClearType for its sleek, sexy, smooth edges but I like the sharper standard because ClearType blur hurts the eyes a bit.
    I don't like ClearType at all. I think it makes the text look blurry. Then again, I don't like anti-aliasing in my games for the same reason (basically the same thing, only for graphics). I like my sharp edges. I think if my monitor had a lower resolution, I'd consider it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I love cleartype. It confuses me why some Win XP installations come with Cleartype as the default, whereas others use Standard.

I find the Linux smoothing to be a little fuzzier, but that could be my monitor for my Ubuntu PC.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I love cleartype and it doesn't hurt my eyes like standard does,and it also came in default for Windows 7.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I think I know why I can't stand ClearType (apart from making me teary eyed.)

It doesn't work with non-English characters, so it makes my screen look patched up, wonky and out of place.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • I use clear type as it makes the fonts look cleaner and smoother on my LCD.. If I was using a CRT monitor, I'd disable it.

It is designed for lcd's so using it on a older CRT monitor is just pointless, IMO

Evilyn

Termination Bliss
    Years
  • I actually didn't know I can change that until I say this thread. >_>;

I use Standard. ClearType is blurry and rapes my signature. D:

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    ClearType all the way, yo. I find standard to be very strainful on the eyes and it just isn't as clean as ClearType is.

Due to the fact that I use a Vista Operating System, ClearType is the default choice of appearance for my computer. Though it's able to be changed back to what is Standard on XP machines, I just can't be hassled to do that. The only place Standard looks nice on is on the Vista desktop for me. Apart from that, like in applications and reading mail and all that lovely stuff that everyone loves to do, I stick to the attractive rendering apart from the ugly and boring standard rendering.

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
  • Ohmigoodness.

Just switched to standard, and my eyes are actually beginning to feel better all of a sudden...
    I'll have to keep it like this and see what happens...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Standard. Clear type makes my head nauseous. Yes, my head.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • ... I don't think I'm doing this right. I don't get a ClearType / Standard font thingy in Window Color and Appearance. ;;

...is all I'm getting. ;_;

usami

biohazard
    Years
  • ... I don't think I'm doing this right. I don't get a ClearType / Standard font thingy in Window Color and Appearance. ;;

...is all I'm getting. ;_;
    You have to click "open classic appearance options" and then "effects".
    Anyway I use clear type, because standard bugs my eyes.

Back