• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use your master ball?

Quinn

Shall we get down to business?
    Years
    You know i never use my master ball me or my friends, in black & white i have 8. I always catch the legendary with a quick ball or time ball or a normal Pokeball. It just seems anti climatic, you spend allot of the game leading up to it there so much hype and what you just throw the ball and its over??? No i want to fight the thing and try to catch it! Well what dose every one else use master ball or other?

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
    Years
    I am playing Pokémon Crystal, Pokémon Sapphire, Pearl, White 2 and Pokémon X. On all these, I passed the Elite Four, Defeated the champion and caught the available legendaries, and I still have the masterball on every single one of these. I just don't like using it, for the same reason you stated in the OP. You finally get to fight the legendary, and you decide to throw the damn purple ball of doom in the first turn, and you catch him. "WOO-HOO I DIDN'T EXPECT THAT AT ALL!"...

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
    Definitely on runners, oh god Gen 4 where there are too! Thankfully they fixed runners in Gen 6 but making you find them then can fight them normally. No master ball needed. I do regret not using it on the only wild shiny I've ever seen. Crit and one shot it, was a sad day.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Moved this on over to PGC seeing as its a question that can be covered across every generation.

When I got my first Pokémon game [Ruby], I used to use my Master Ball to capture Groudon all the time. What? I was a kid, I didn't know any better. Eventually I learned it was better to save it for the runaways (i.e. Latios) until I started learning techniques on how to capture those without the use of the Master Ball. Took more time, but it made the hunt all the more fun. Nowadays, the Master Ball just sits in my bag like a prize token really. I never really need to use them anymore. It's always good to have one though, just in case!

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I used it in on zygard but only because i forgot to save before entering battle, but other than that i haven't used it since who knows when.

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
    Nope. I used it in Pokémon gold to catch one of the legendary dogs (was forever ago, I don't remember which one) but since then I never really needed to use it. I always saved it for some reason, I guess I expected some really hard runner legendary to show up, but they never did. OP has a good point though, it is really anti-climactic, isn't it?

Lesqx

eRepublik Player
    Years
    Well.. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. In Pokemon Fire Red i use, in Crystal/Platinum/Emerald i still master ball.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I always use my master ball in every game. I only use it to capture a certain legendary Pokemon of my liking, especially Aritcuno, Suicune, and Zekrom. Why keep it collecting dust, though? xD

Years
    I rarely use my Master Ball on Legendaries or Pokémon that flee. I just take comfort on knowing its there and ready to use. I was thinking about using it to catch Xerneas or Mewtwo, but I caught them both with the Timer Ball because it took me a long time to whittle down their HP with False Swipe.

typhlosionflames

My shadow is a Hydreigon
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2015
    I'm never using a Masterball again. The most used Pokeball I end up using in the end is either the Pokeball or Ultraball.

Quinn

Shall we get down to business?
    Years
    I remember heartgold/soulsilver were the legendary were a little difficult to catch, but now they all have a super high catch rate. They Literally ask you to catch them... no really don't you guys remember in Pokemon black & white if you killed the legendary it looks at you and says "Catch me"

Sirfetch’d

I use the Master Ball on things that are particularly hard to catch such as roaming legends or box legends. I won't use it unless I absolutely have to though as I like the challenge of wearing down the Pokemon and chucking dozens of Ultra Balls at it, haha. The only other time that I have ever used a Master Ball on anything other than what I mentioned was a shiny once. I ran into a shiny Nidoran and all I had was my Master Ball on me. I wasn't about to just let it go so I used it.

damientheomen3

Muffintop, Esq.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2022
    I'm not fond of using the master ball, takes the fun out of the catch IMO. The only times I've ever used it is on shinies that were too low leveled for me to take a chance on whittling down.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I use my Masterball on the Legendary Mascots. I know that might be noobish, but I really prefer the challenge of catching the run aways with regular Pokeballs than a Masterball.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I use the Masterball on roamers like the Beasts or Lati twins to save me a few hours of going back and forth.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    I have only used my Master Ball once, to catch a shiny Mienfoo in Black 2. All my other Master Balls are just collecting dust.

Back