• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you want Brock to return ?

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Brock's my favourite character in Pokemon. (I was watching like mad from Kanto to Johto, stopped watching every week ever since Hoenn. So yea, I want him back!

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    Personally i wouldn't mind having Brock back. He is in my book good character when used right playing strong role(especially in early seasons), guiding Ash helping him to grow into better trainer, giving him many useful tips and coming up with strategies for him providing lot of knowledge for group.
    He was also like older brother to them, taking care of everyone having his share of moments. Brock is known for being obsessed over girls, shows signs of irrationality when having to deal with finer things in life being very inexperienced in that aspect while at same time being capable, eccentric, collected and mature when it comes to pokemon and bringing order when conflict arises between group giving us often character which had that level of mystery and stability balancing out impulsiveness and tension between cast.

If writers used him properly expanding on that traits they could do something great out of it.

So if writers revamp his role providing justification behind Brock return doing something with him, than yes i would like to see him back. Since his newly found carer of being doctor is unexplored territory it certainly provides material to work upon and do something out of it giving room to Brock character to be fleshed out more.

If i could choose i would rather have Misty or May back instead though having more active dreams.

What? Brock died well before DP; more like somewhere in Johto, just like Misty. All he was was a running gag that mostly stood in the background, and that is true for him for pretty much every series he's been in. I don't care if we ever see him again.

Would you mind explaining?
    In Johto we can still see Misty being full of competitive streak, sarcastic comments having tendency to tease Ash and others about their mistakes, we can still see her love for water types and fears, she was still spunky and tomboyish, with character being full of personality. Misty didn't get enough focus for a long saga like Johto was and she suffered from lack of focus but i didn't noticed any decline in character. Only notable change was that she became less violent and more timid,becoming more patient and level headed at end of Johto, being followed with further character growth it in chronicles and Hoenn. Where Misty grew in more selfconfident and mature character while still being quirky and spunky retaining enjoyable traits.
    Most fans i met liked way she developed being enjoyable in AG.

As for Brock i agree how DP was lowest point of character starting to lose purpose, but in Hoenn he had pretty good treatment even at later point in Battle Frontier. He got Bonsly,his Mudkip evolved, had some nice moments with May actually interacting with each other as well participating in pokemon contest feeling closer as friends which i cant say for Dawn unfortunately.He also got to battle at Pewter gym, helped Ash, showed his skills as breeder utilizing it on many occasions along with Max idolizing him for his knowledge fulfilling each other nicely. I also find how presence of Max helped his character to have someone to who he could relate to, sharing things in common which allowed for good character play of.
    In Hoenn and BF i cant really complain because Brock got pretty good treatment for a sidekick.

p.s.Can't believe it passed so much last time i was here.

Last edited:
    Years
  • He can go back to breeding with Ash.

Nah, i loved Brock his desperate attempts at getting women he had no chance with was funny. Except Lucy had a thing going for him. Personally i don't like Cilan, it's like sure he's there but leaves you to ask the question "Where's Brock at?"

I miss the poor guy, he couldn't see where he was going so that makes me feel bad for him and want the poor bloke back.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Would you mind explaining?
    In Johto we can still see Misty being full of competitive streak, sarcastic comments having tendency to tease Ash and others about their mistakes, we can still see her love for water types and fears, she was still spunky and tomboyish, with character being full of personality. Misty didn't get enough focus for a long saga like Johto was and she suffered from lack of focus but i didn't noticed any decline in character. Only notable change was that she became less violent and more timid,becoming more patient and level headed at end of Johto, being followed with further character growth it in chronicles and Hoenn. Where Misty grew in more selfconfident and mature character while still being quirky and spunky retaining enjoyable traits.
    Most fans i met liked way she developed being enjoyable in AG.

What you're calling "lack of focus, less violent and more timid,becoming more patient and level headed" I am calling loss of personality. It happened to Gary, and DP Ash, too. I dislike Pokemon's interpretation of "character development" as blandness. That said, I prefer DP Ash over BW Ash. Brock had already became the running gag well before this time, but I agree that he was treated better in Battle Frontier than Hoenn or Sinnoh for the reasons you said.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    What you're calling "lack of focus, less violent and more timid,becoming more patient and level headed" I am calling loss of personality. It happened to Gary, and DP Ash, too. I dislike Pokemon's interpretation of "character development" as blandness. That said, I prefer DP Ash over BW Ash. Brock had already became the running gag well before this time, but I agree that he was treated better in Battle Frontier than Hoenn or Sinnoh for the reasons you said.

I think term your looking for is personality change though,because whether you have liked how certain characters developed or not doesn't deny fact how all of them still had personality with change reflecting their growth.

Just like May for example became less dizzy and more mature/self confident over time gaining more depth and substance as character at the end of their run,same can be applied to Misty,Ash,Dawn,Brock etc.

I for once liked development Misty received because it expanded more on her other personality traits which were exclusive to her from very start and often overshadowed by temper having much more substance to her than just going on rampage which was hardl.We saw more of her sarcasm,girly and caring side becoming fairly rounded character.
    Because of starting to mature this also allowed for some notable development with Misty gaining sisters respect and getting over complex of inferiority,getting over Gyarados fear growing in more self confident and tough character while still having charm,her humor and quirky side being passionate about battling,water pokemon,hobbies etc.

Reason why im bringing focus in here is because:
    Lack of screen time=/=affecting quality of someone personality.

If character isn't playing some role in episode nor getting focus he isnt having opportunity to interact with other characters and display his traits.How active character will be and will he interact with others depends on amount of focus he receives in episode.
    Whenever Misty got some screen time in Johto or played some role no matter how minor it was,i remember she showed plenty of characterization being very lively and quirky.Likwise she battled and had little more focus there than it was in Kanto,though those moments weren't treated like cohesive storyline.

Speaking of Brock,i say he was at his best in Kanto,Hoenn and partially Johto.Main problem in Sinnoh was that focus was often put on Ash and Dawn being two co-stars around who story revolved with Brock character being left behind not being given much attention as character.
    Passiveness of his breeder goal also represented issue since this didnt had much to do with battling ,competing or having benchmarks through which progression can be measured like its case with Ash,Dawn or even Cilan.Sad,but true.

Last edited:

Markichuuuuu

YouTube LP'er :3
    Years
  • Eh, maybe for an episode or two but not as a full time main character. He was getting pretty stale by the time Sinnoh came about, and if I want to see good ol' Brock I'll just watch the Indigo League episodes.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Okay, I might as well make the point that, first off, she did not "lose her personality." "Loss of personality" implies a complete elimination of any personality traits. To give you a good example of this, take Ash when he got hypnotized by the Exeggcute. He was completely monotone, almost robotic in nature. THAT'S "loss of personality." Besides, if you honestly think that's a loss of personality, then I highly suggest you avoid shows that have character development, as most shows do very similar stuff to what you described. If I were to use that phrase, I would use it exactly as the phrase implies, a complete absence of any personality traits, period, not simply less than before, but an absolute absence, since I try to choose words and phrases very carefully so as to be as exact as possible.

That being said, to get back onto the topic regarding whether Brock should return, I'll agree to Brock returning if, and ONLY if they actually expand on the breeder aspect of the goal (assuming its completely different from the game breeders), and especially that they actually remove his more Charlie Harper/Glenn Quagmire-esque traits. I mean, just because someone's heterosexual does NOT mean that they have to react to absolutely every girl they see like some sort of sexhound (which, unfortunately, that's exactly what we heterosexual males are stereotyped as nowadays.).

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    I say let Cilan have some of the spotlight, Brock has had a long run, and his character was getting staler and staler. I do agree that a cameo appearance would be great though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    No thanks. I love Brock and all, and don't have much of a reason for being against him coming back, but I think it's for the best if he remains out of the anime. He was mostly used for a comedic tool, and I don't think that's very appropriate since he was just a device at the end of the day. I'm glad they're exploring other options with Cilan and Iris.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Yes please ! Get us rid of that man with scary eyes that annoys me with his inopportune food reference, Cilan :pink_cry: He's so boring !
    I want Brock to be back, but not any Brock, the Brock from the first seasons, the one I grew up with ... I miss this Brock so much.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • Noooo. Brock got to be the same ol', same ol'. I love Cilan, or rather I love Dent, since the dub actually tones down his character to the point where he's dull. :/ If given the choice, I'd rather see Dent stay than them bringing Takeshi / Brock back into things.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I want Brock to return because Brock was so so funny and warm-hearted. He has passion towards the girls and it was funny to see when Croagunk hitted hard when Brock flirted with girls. He has always taken care of Ash's and other character's Pokémon. He knows pretty much everything about Pokémon and their behaviour. Brock is like professor and doctor at the same time and he has been Ash's great friend since Kanto saga. Bring good old Brock back... though I don't watch BW saga (but still).

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2012
    I think Brock was awesome, they should definitely bring him back, if they give him a better role than DP that is.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2012
    Brock was always the character that made me laugh as a kid, noone really fits that role in the new season.

Eclispe

Beginning PsyDragon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    Brock character was really pure golden epic during the Kanto and Johto era,but in Hoenn he started to become a little bit stale and in Sinnoh he became a horrible boring character thanks to the terrible DP series.

I wouldn't mind Brock coming back. I feel theirs still more that the anime could do with Brock. While I do agree that he got a little stale during the DP series, it's nothing that can't be fixed in a later series.

Last edited:

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • I don't really want him to return to the main cast, however I at least would like an update at some point to see how he's getting on in his new career.

His departure from the show was horribly done, even by the anime's usual standards.

Back