• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Does ANYBODY still play their GBA games more than the newer games (NDS)?

Mentalii

Back
Years
Yes I sometimes do... Mainly the emerald version, I love challenging the Battle Frontier again and again !
Except this game, I have to admit that I seldom play the old games...

Years
Well, I recently got a GBA SP and ruby, so I'm currently playing it. And it gives more fun and replay value then the other games so far IMO so I'd be playing it for a while and even a little bit more :P

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
I didn't nearly like Diamond as much as anything in Gen 3 when I played it. The Pokemon themselves are great, but I honestly hated the tutorials and just how easy the newer games have gotten compared to the earlier handhelds. Among other things, such as the use of 3D graphics and the inner parts of the atmosphere not being quite as great as in Gen 2 or 3.

WasSollDas

Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 8, 2016
I'm actually quite surprised; most people here prefer nostalgia than better graphics or realistic gameplay, etc.

Actually, before my DS went berserk, I kind of abandoned my game boy SP and gave it to my sister and played my SS 24/7. Now I took it back (which is mean, but well, she rarely used it).

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2012
LOL I stole Ruby from an ex-best friend, bought Leafgreen from a neighbor then bought Emerald from my little brothers friend and played them in that exact order...BTW who remembers that sensation when you beat the elite 4 for the first time? I almost cried i was so happy! :')

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2014
I definitely play my GBA pokemon games more than I play my DS Pokemon games. However, I (at least as of this time) play my Gameboy ones even more.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I never really play old games. :x If I were gonna play anything pre-DS, I'd just play it on an emulator anyway, so the only games I play my copies of are DS and later. I also don't really like the earlier games all that much. Spinoffs are okay but I didn't like ANYTHING in Gen 3--not RSE and not FRLG--so there's another reason I won't really touch GBA games.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a bit surprised so many people do still play them regularly.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Yeah, I do play GBA games more than DS games nowadays. LG/FR are probably the games that I play most, I know the game by heart, the levels of pokemon gym trainers, the hidden items, etc. I just don't find the new games as exciting as the old games. :/

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
On GBA games, I occasionally do that. But on GBC games, I do that like almost everyday. Playing through my Pokemon Red like 2 hours everyday. The old games just have that "feeling" that makes you want to play but it cannot be explained.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
People may hate me for saying this, but I think Black and White pretty much topped everything that came before, so I focused mostly on those. I do miss the berry-growing, though.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
Lately, I have. I recently bought Firered and Emerald for the first time.(as well as an additional copy of Firered which I played through) My current-gen games are all beat so not a whole lot to do on them, so I've found myself playing a lot of the older games lately

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Yeah, I play the old games more than the new games. Not because of nostalgia, but because they are more fun. Mainly RBY and GSC.

Back