• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Does ANYBODY still play their GBA games more than the newer games (NDS)?

Years
Before Black and White, I played Emerald quite a lot since I found it to be a thousand times better than Pearl. I still play Emerald from time to time, mainly to hear the awesome themes found in the Battle Frontier :P

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 27, 2014
of course hoenn stands out because it was so different, there's no other way to play anything like it unless you play the gba games yourself

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 12, 2012
I won't even touch the DS games anymore. They're not nearly as good as the GBA ones. Sure, the graphics are majorly improved, but the first 250, are the better generation of Pokemon, in my opinion. And the DS games (aside from HGSS of course) kinda ruined that.

Future Arceus

I hate my name
Years
Hoenn has been, and will always be, my favorite region. The story line was my favorite out of any Pokemon game and of course there's Emerald.
Emerald is amazing because you can clone in game.. : D now who doesn't love that...
I found the plot lines of the newer games to be a bit quick to say the least...
I beat diamond in 17 hours and White in 14 1/2 hours...meanwhile, in my emerald i'm on hour 22 and still chugging along...
GBA FOREVER!

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
Dude every day. If you lived at my house you'd catch me playing the day away with Ruby, Gold, and Red all the time. I just can't leave those games.

EDIT: I don't exactly play them for nostalgia. I play them because I really enjoy them and pokemon kinda stops at Gen 3 for me. In fact, nostalgia is a factor that really never comes into play for me and I don't really see playing GBA games as "retro gaming". Even Red and Gold, and I know Red is pretty retro now, both games don't have any nostalgia factor for me. I just really like playing them and catching whatever pokemon I still don't have. For example, all this time I never had a Yanma in gold until yesterday.

Oh, and of course I always play FireRed. You have to add that to the mix.

Last edited:

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
yeah lots of people still play it even if they weren't young even me i've played all the pokemon old GBC Games and all the hacked GBA Games they are cool but not as cool as 3ds games love them really much :D

Years
I actually bought an NDS, went to play Heart Gold on it. Ended up selling Heart gold and getting a hold of Fire Red. I now play that in my free time much more than any of the other games, it was not that they were poor games. I just barely had interest in any of the Pokemon over 251, god forbid the ones exceeding 386.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I've recently been playing through LeafGreen and Emerald again, so I'm definitely playing more of my GBA games than my DS games at the moment.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I use Gen III for practically every challenge I do, so I play them a lot. When I'm not doing challenges, I still play through them. Right now, I'm replaying Emerald for the ump-teenth time. I play Gen III a lot, even more than the DS games.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I still play my Emerald sometimes, I mostly go to the Battle Frontier or just wander around Hoenn because it's still my favorite region :)

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2012
I'm still playing my Pokemon Leaf Green and Fire Red games so that I could transfer the Pokemon to my NDS ones. I'm also playing my Ruby and Saphire games, but not for a while...

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Mm, yes of course. Emerald is the game I play most often. I do like the newer games but I find myself having much more fun replaying Emerald time and time again. I haven't ever beaten Black because I was simply bored by the time I got to E4 and tend to abandon replays of Pearl and Platinum in favour of messing about in Hoenn.

Divider

Grand Master Johto Champion
Years
Yep I got a modded fat psp with gbSP-Kai on it and I use it for all the hacks and roms. So much easier than switching cartridges.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Haven't touched Emerald in quite a while. And I definably should get back to my Fire Red playthrough...

I play DS games more because of 3 things.

1. Online Battling.
2. Gameplay in Gen 3 sucks. Why? Because it can be slow at times, and Physical and Special moves vary on typing. That means they made Gengar's Shadow Ball...crap...
3. More appealing to look at. (Call me a graphics over gameplay person if you want, I don't care. But I'm not. I play Minecrat for gods sake.)

Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2012
I tend to play console games more than GBA games, but I play GBA games over DS. The newer DS games just don't seem up to par to me. I find a lot more enjoyment in the older games.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
this might sound dumb but i dont like gen 4 games at all . i prefer playing pokemon ruby on my 9 year old gba sp ( it is also a special edition with a groudon print on the back side :) ) rather than playing pokemon diamond on a ds ( never liked D/P/P )

Back