• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does Anyone else get teased?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
  • Haha i'm in college and I play...

Don't even worry about it dude. It's a game like any other, and I'm sure I could think of much more embarrassing things than playing pokemon. Just be confident, don't let them get you down.

nssfleahedgehog

Master of the W Universe
    Years
  • For me it's not that I'm made fun for liking Pokemon (most people know little about me), it's just Pokemon is made fun in general. At my school, all the goof-offs/a-holes/scumbags/jack***es think it's funny to pretend they like Pokemon (well, it sure seems like they're just pretending). They'd mainly just talk about 1st-gen Pokemon only (like idiots uninformed of gens 2-4), or about Ash & related stuff (the Anime is crap, and very poor-quality, and if the Pokemon Special manga was common in U.S.A. [past the Yellow saga, and in stores], then they'd think twice about Pokemon being "babyish" or "nerdy" thanks to stuff like the violent criminal Teams, the near-death situations, the "bad-to-the-bone"-acting characters, and stuff they'd never put in the English dub of the anime [like Gold patting Blue's butt, and exclaiming "Who's this sexy lady?"]). So basically, people are idiots and scumbags, and if people bully you try various counter strategies, and later you can imagine Nidoking injecting them deadly poisons, and thrashing their limp bodies about, or any other Pokemon-caused death.;)

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
    Years
  • yeah im a high school senoir and i still play pokemon(i lost my pearl version tho)
    but i don't really get made fun of cuz im cool with almost everyone
    so when some askes "is that pokemon?" i reply "yeah! whats wrong with pokemon? you playit too right?"
    then they laugh and i laugh too and remind them of the RBY when every one played pokemon
    hey some girls thinks its cute ;)
    but if your a total introvert around them
    then they'll think is weird
    but yeah is best to be open with it that works for me at least *shrug*

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Nah. I get the occasional "That's baby stuff" and things like that. But other than that, nothing happens that makes me get down.

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
    Years
  • Truthfully, I really don't care what other people think of me.
    There was a time when I used to hide the fact that I still liked Pokémon, however; those days are long gone. When one usually proceeds further into High School, pointless teasings like that tend to stop. Nobody cares what you do there as long as you aren't in anybody's way.

So in complete answer to your question, no, I do not get teased for liking Pokémon. However, it's a bit different when you're a little older. People around my age play Pokémon for the nostalgic feel. In fact, one of the star football players brought in their old Pokémon Yellow during Spanish and everybody wanted to play it. xD

The people who tease you really need to grow up and get a life. If they have nothing better to do than tease you about a hobby, their life must be pretty dull.

haha
    i totally agree with you!!

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2008
    Im 14, in Year 9 at High School, i yeah get a bit of teasing but nothing major, I have a Pokemon backpack, i Play my Pokemon Silver on my Pokemon Edition Gameboy Colour at lunchtime. Tis quite cool, My friends play a bit aswell, we know where abit dorky/nerdy but we dont care, I think the teasing has stopped a little because i think people nowadays, think that Pokemon is awsome! Ive seen Pokemon T-Shirts and backpacks popping up more, because having Retro/Kids things is becoming very awsome indeed. I see kids with Tomas the Tank engine and Bob the Builder bags. :D but i think its cooler to just play the old games, I think you'll be seen as a major nerd if you have like 300 pokemon on diamond or something and you collect shinies. but yeah. POKEMON OWNS EVERYTHING. :D

Years
  • Nope. My family is understanding (plus my two brothers also like Pokemon, which is a plus) and none of my friends know. I have no clue how they'd react either, so I'm keeping it to myself for now.:)

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    meh, not really. xD
    in my high school days, all of my classmates and friends know I like POKéMON, and they care less. :P

why?
    cause everyone there were all addicted to different animé series. :P

now in college, some of my classmates and friends know, but as usual, would care less. :D

~DarkAchu~

Shady Character Lurking Around
    Years
  • My friends couldnt care less about what each other like unless its a girl then we talk and argue about her LMAO

ErickaVolt

Born to kill.
    Years
  • No one never teased me yet, maybe because I don't talk too much about Pokemon on my neighbors, family. But in college an high school, we have a Pokemon Club. Most of my classmates are addicted to Pokemon. PokeManiacs.

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
  • Hah, myself, no. Because to be honest, here's the deal:

Everyone plays ot did play Pokemon, whether they can admit it or not.

And seriously, at my school, we have quite a lot of Pokemon fans as it is. One of my friends and I are true-blue pokemaniacs, and there are several others I know who are into it to a lesser degree. I was supprised to find that one of the "cool" kids was a fan too, and had completed both Diamond and Pearl. We had a discussion about it and all.

And for those who don't like it, the fact that I'm a Pokemon fan is just a trump card, really. They use it in arguments when they don't have anything else to pull. At which point, they're looking pretty lame anyway. But for the majority actualy, it's just not important enough for them to care. Everyone knows I'm a geeky eccentric, and my Pokemon interest doesn't really supprise them.

Also, I have a tactic, which I mentioned a while ago back in another thread: I carry around with me a memory pen with VBA link and Pokemon Emerald, which I play regularly around school. I'm known for giving out free games, so when they see me play it, they ask for a copy. (Entirely legal! Of course! No really, I feel I'm doing a Nintendo a favour. I'm re-introducing Pokemon to those who forgot.) As I said: Everyone plays or used to play Pokemon, really. This pulls up the "not-so-sure" crowd into "mild fan" status, normaly. It helps that VBA Link allows people to trade and battle over the school network.

So basicaly, yeah, I try and draw the doubters into the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality. And it works =)

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    No, but only because no one knows. If they did I would be getting a lot of crap about it. I hear everyone making fun of it in my section (in band) but it's no big deal. A few people have used cards as field markers and we're making Pokemon posters for some competitions, but it's all in good fun. If I keep my mouth shut I should be fine :D.

ShadowWind

Senkei Senbonzakura Kageyoshi
    Years
  • I know what you mean

i ve grown up with it too became popular while i was in kindergarden and im hooked it became lame in about 4th grade so since then ive kept on the downlow only people who know i play are those on this site and a select group of my friends who also play

Years
  • I have a few friends who play it so it's not that big of a deal for me. But if anyone mentions playing Pokemon at my school, they would be made fun of. But seriously, the game's different from the series. It requires strategy and such. Those guys are probably haven't played since R/B/Y or never played it.

I agree with Hiidoran. They need to grow up. It's their choice of whether they want to waste their time on something that small. It makes me laugh when I think about it. "Hey everyone! This guy plays Pokemon! Let's all waste our time laughing at him! OMG I so need to get a life..."

My guess is that some of them have secrets like this as well.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    nope, actually a lot of people at my school like pokemon.
    but don't care if they call you a nerd for liking pokemon.
    you can accuse them of something also.
    Besides, its their fault if they waste their time on such a random, stupid topic just so they could laugh at you.
    i just hope no one finds out i like pokemon in high school, i'll never hear the end of it.

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
  • I tell everyone that I play/like Pokemon and they don't really care. Almost everyone at my High-School are nice and friendly...

Years
  • Pokemon actually enjoys a mixed popularity at my school. Obviously, the majority of people are disinterested, but there are so many people that do like pokemon that it is no longer a conversation topic because it's considered "within the norm."

Furthermore, the stereotypical "cool" people aren't really cool because our school can't win a single football game, and the band drowns the cheerleaders completely. This levels the social bar considerably; there is hardly a hierarchy of cool activities anymore, but anyone who is good at whatever he/she does is considered socially acceptable. Yesterday, the boys' soccer team had a tournament at our school and won (it came down to PK shootouts; I kicked the second PK in the net, and we won in the handiest way possible), the girls' soccer team had a tournament at a neighboring school and won, and the girls' volleyball team hosted a tournament and won. Needless to say, there was all sorts of euphoria and parading afterward. Oh, the football team? Lost 47-12!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back