• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone else think that Blaziken was a bad move?

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    The longest recorded chiken flight is 13 seconds, so I doubt game freak will design a flying chicken.

TheDeadpool

My common sense is tingling!
    Years
    Well, yes. I mean, just about all of the third generation and fourth generation were an epic fail. I mean, a giant whale known as Wailord and an old fish known as Relicanth that you have to have in your party in order to released the Regis? Of course, loads of logic there.

Of course, some people think that Blaziken is an amazing Pokèmon. I suppose it's all based on personal preference and when you were introduced to Pokèmon. I have never met any Pokèmon fan that started liking Pokèmon around the first and second generations that have said the third and the fourth generations were better than the first two. Nintendo/GameFreak lost creativity and grabbed onto lifelines. Their lifeline this time was a red chicken that knows martial arts.

Oh, well, life goes on.

well im someone whose been playing pokemon religiously since red and blue were released on my sickly green colored game boy...

and i prefer the third generation over the others... fourth was ridiculous and 2nd is my 2nd fave...

so it goes....

3rd
    2nd
    1st
    (nonexistent pokemon generation)
    (tacos)
    (gamecocks :D)
    4th

Soot & Stars

Check Your Premises
    Years
    Don't get me wrong, I'd use Blaziken in battle as well, but the concept that a fire chicken (birdie) becoming a fighting type over a flying type just escapes me as to how it would seem sucessful.

Infernape and such, I understand, monkey, fighting, like Primeape. But chickens...as fighters? (don't bring up ****-fighting, I doubt that's what they were going for, but who knows).
    That whole evolutionary tree combines to become my least favorite starter in the series. Disregarding performance in battle, the idea was half-assery at it's finest. Torchic was fine, but its subsequent forms were just laughable.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Eh, I love Blaziken. But, I like fire-types, so that's just me. -huggles Hikari and Chictor-

About the gamecock thing...all I have to say to that is...JSU. 8D

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    In my opinion, Blaziken was the better of the two most recent Generations.

1: It was original; there'd never been a Starter that was part-Fighting, before, and it also seemed to go with the burning passion of fighters; being a Fire type AND a Fighting type.

2: It was unpredictable; I doubt anyone would have expected there to be one quite like it. Until Generation IV, it was a burning new idea. (no pun intended, har har)

3: It only really got frowned upon when Generation IV revealed that once again, they were bringing out another Fire/Fighting type. Infernape may appear to be more like a Fighting type, as well, (with examples of Mankey and Primape being solely Fighting) but the fans don't want the same thing twice, do they?

As for the chicken thing.. does it really matter? You don't see a real giraffe sending Psychic waves to attack people, do you? Or a Penguin made out of Steel? On top of that, Chickens are mostly flightless, anyway, and Blaziken doesn't even have any wings to be a Flying type. I personally think it would have been a bit awkward, having it as a Flyer, anyway; especially being themed after chickens, over actual birds.

Oh, and no; I don't believe the train of thought about chicken scrapping. It might be true, but I personally don't believe such, since it just sounds like an off-the-bat thought, because of its likeness to chickens.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Hmm thinking bout something nw and blaizken could fly. By using the heat waves out of its head and jumping it can rocket boost and jump city to city. So yeh now that I tought bout it it coud fly if nintendo used something called imagination.

funkeboodha

Pokemon Trader
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    im cool with Blaziken—i picked Torchic when i first played Emerald.
    my only question is whats up with his fluffy crotch? yaknow? that little tuft of feathers bunched up there?

manganohime

Manga Addict
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2009
    I used to have a Blaziken (had to restart the game :disappoin ) and it was one of my favorites.

Why can't a chicken be a Fighting type?? They're pretty scary... :nervous:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Yeah but the idea for fire type just get crazier.
    A salamander made sense, but what did a chicken and monkey have to do with fire?
    all the others(except chikorita, don't know what animal its supposed to be) made sense.
    Yeah it was a bad move but they made it because the drawing of torchic was cute and they expected us to fall for that, but some people aren't as gullible.
    They shouldn't have made it fighting, because infernape now dominates that area.
    so yeah it was a bad move, but what can we do about it?
    i just don't care as long as it isn't ugly or magikarp weak.

EDIT:Unfortunately, chickens really are strong once you get them into a corner.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Mamoswine learns Peck and it obviously isn't a flying type. Now, you just don't go outside and say "Hey look! A flying mammoth!" everyday, now would you?

I agree, Blaziken was an idea desperately thought up when no other hope was given for a fire starter. Chickens are in no way related to martial arts. The creators of Pokemon made a bigger mistake when Infernape was introduced. Now a monkey with martial art skills isn't nearly as silly as a kung-fu chicken, but Infernape had the exact same typing as Blaziken and the same flaming tail as Charizard. It is quite clear now, GameFreak is obviously running out of ideas for new Pokemon. Of course, many have come to look up to Blaziken as most would usually look up to the fire type starter. If you look at it from a neutral point of view, it is quite bad.

LOYALemerald, I'd just like you to know that Pokemon can learn moves outside of their usual typing. Alakazam can learn Thunderpunch and it's not Electric. PorygonZ can learn Icebeam and it isn't Ice. That's just the way Pokemon is.

i know that........ blaziken is not a desperate thought up about overnight, nintendo has some reasons to why they put blaziken in the dex...

Dark Banette

♫♫♫♪♪
    Years
    Blazikein is fine. I don't see why it would be a bad move. It is really strong. The only bad thing is that it has a few big weaknesses. Like ground, water, or flying. The looks are distracting though. For Blazikein is a tad bit on the ugly side. (In my opinion)

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    I think the question here should be "Does anyone think Infernape was a bad move?"

The Johto addition was the greatest, I mean Onix and Scyther had awesome evolutions, etc and some baby pokemon made sense.

Hoenn, while off putting at first ended up being also rather acceptable, I'm not a fan off mudkip or treeko, but Blaziken made up for the uselessness of Cyndiquil from Gen II.

However, D/P is proof in it's self Nintendo should not be making more Pokemon, the legendaries are nice and well done, but theres too much junk in between.

Gameplay wise, etc it's fine but actual new Pokemon are...we don't need anymore.

It's so saddening to see they could go from something Awesome and loved like Charizard to a useless fighting monkey that offends Primape by even existing.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    air slash OHKO. bye bye. especially coming from a charizard.

but thats beside the point. anywhoo, blaziken is a sweet deal. he can do some damage, but of course, is overshadowed by the ever infamous infernape. preferences, is all. I got both, i use infernape way more (duh, he's OU) but for mock battles, throw in blaziken for kicks. ^.^ blaze kickin blaziken!

falling up+
    Years
    Soot and Stars said:
    That whole evolutionary tree combines to become my least favorite starter in the series. Disregarding performance in battle, the idea was half-assery at it's finest. Torchic was fine, but its subsequent forms were just laughable.

I agree whole-heartedly

Blaziken ruined the string of cool fire starters. Good stats, bad design, Charizard ftw :p

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I did expect a Flying Type when I first saw Torchic, because whether it's a chicken or not, it's a bird. We haven't known Nintendo to say, "Oh, -insert animal here, such as mice- can't really do -insert thing here, such as electrocute things-, so we won't make the Pokemon do that." It doesn't seem that hard to believe that Torchic had the potential to become a Flying Pokemon. But, knowing Nintendo, it was also a possibility for it to become a Fighting Type. I think it has reference to ****fighting, but that's not the main point of it.

What I think is interesting is that I don't recall people thinking anything was wrong witrh Blaziken until Infernape was released. Before then, Blaziken was original, unique, and considered "cool" by probably a few more than it is now. I, personally, think it still is original, unique, and cool. It's Infernape who was the bad move. All they did was take Blaziken, make it a monkey, and give it some better stats. As soon as I saw Chimchar for the first time I knew Pokemon was about to go a bit downhill, and now, whaddaya know? We've got tons of evos for first-gen Pokemon with terribly ugly designs, WAY too many legends (which was completely unnecessary), and yet ANOTHER Fire/Fighting starter.

I guess I may be a bit biased though. I mean, one glance at the Combusken on the banner in my sig will tell you that. Blaziken is a liked Pokemon of mine, maybe even a favorite to a degree, and the Chimchar line put me in a mood to defend it...

Back