• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Does HGSS Surpass Platinum?

What's the better game?

• Total voters

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I personally prefer Platinum, there is a lot more to do after the storyline (which was much better) finishes. Kanto in HG/SS seemed like too much hassle, I only completed it to get the Hoenn starters.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Yup. Pokemon Platinum is just a tweak version of the region, even tho HG/SS is one too, it brings back good memories XD

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • I think a better question would be does Pokémon Platinum surpass Pokémon Diamond and Pearl

How is that a better question? Of course it does.

because Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver were made to be completely different from Platinum and shouldn't really be compared.

Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver are both revamps of past games (GS, DP). It's a perfectly fair comparison, if not only slightly skewed towards HeartGold and SoulSilver given the incredible anticipation these remakes have received and the fact they are more recent.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • It's a perfectly fair comparison, if not only slightly skewed towards HeartGold and SoulSilver given the incredible anticipation these remakes have received and the fact they are more recent.
    I suppose one could say though the 'hype' HGSS got may be a bad point for it with some people - higher expectations may mean more disappointment it was as super-duper-amazing as they imagined. Happened with other games (like Brawl - I know a number of people who admit they over-anticipated it).

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    They're both brilliant.

However, I find Platinum more enjoyable, I'm not sure why....I guess I love lots of pokemon available in both games, but whilst in HeartGold/SoulSilver, they all come later on (but there's no training spots), in Platinum, there's a steady stream. I don't think there's a single route where I can't catch a pokemon I like/like it's evos. (first 3 routes, I like every single pokemon available, even Kricketot, due to Kricketune's bad-ass cry). HeartGold/SoulSilver would be inferior on their own, but Pokewalker brings it up to about level.

I think part of HeartGold/SoulSilver's problem is the amount of Kanto pokemon....whilst it'd have pathetic variety if it didn't have them (first routes still do), I've usually found them in LeafGreen, or Emerald, or Diamond, or Platinum, depending on their commonness. Both storylines are good, I like Hg/Ss for its' simplicity (although it's been given the legendary-centric treatment which screwed it slightly), and Platinum for it's general good storyline. And, tbh, if Giovanni wasn't available, and Apollo didn't have Houndour/oom, I'd completely hate Team Rocket. Galactic are just...better. And Cyrus is completely hateable, I honestly felt like murdering his sprite once, whereas Team Rocket Execs seem a bit.....unambitious, and follow like sheep trying to find their leader.Galactic survives without its' leader for a bit (until Mars gets all hormonal on Charon xD)

However, I'm just going to vote for Platinum because I'm playing that at the moment.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Platinum. I don't like Johto Pokemon for starters. But Platinum was everything DP wasn't, DP was everything the previous games weren't, in terms of a new system and all. Platinum sort of doesn't end. It has the frontier; a better re-matching system. I HATE the phone calling thing, it doesn't even say what route they're on. And it works by days o___e

Platinum FTW. I miss my Pokemon Platinum game :(

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • I enjoyed Platinum more then SS. Platinum seem to be a bit longer in my opinion and I liked the story plot. It felt like there was more to the Team Galactic then it was for the Team Rocket in HG/SS.

Emotional Intelligence

You may call me "EI"
    Years
  • HGSS any day. I loved the originals and this both improved them and revolutionised the current meta-game and my god are the sprites pretty. All good in my books.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2010
    HGSS is also a winner for me. The thing i love about it is first of all you go to two regions and well i always loved the Johto league. Just from playing Crystal as a kid

pghahaha

Beware of Hippopotas!
    Years
  • I like HG better because:
    1. It was wayyy more interesting
    2. It had more updated gyms, trainer sprites, and pokemon sprites!
    3. The 3D view at the lighthouse!!
    4. I like the part in Mahogany Town's "Souvenir Shop"
    5. The male character looks cooooooooool! (What is up with Lyra's Hat??!!)
    6. I liked seeing a even newer Kanto!

Last edited:

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    Both games have a lot of problems. Platinum version had a more sensical leveling curve that let your pokemon grow, but in the end basic type advantage knowledge could bring you to the top. It was actually a really easy game.

HGSS was more challenging and I think I got a lot better at Pokemon when playing those games than when I played Platinum. It's not about the leveling curve, you actually had to plan out your battles ahead of time or you were sure to get 1HKO'd by Lance's Dragonites or have some pretty nasty suprises against Blue (unless you EXP grinded).

The storyline on Platinum was a bit better, but you're still comparing garbage to slightly-better-smelling garbage. Pokemon isn't the kind of game you should be playing if you really care about storyline.

Really the only thing Sinnoh had that Johto didn't was snow, which "YAY! I get to move slow".

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I think HG/SS is a lot better than Platinum.

But, Platinum is a great game anyway.

Years
  • ya i'd have to say HG/SS to be better for me, I really liked how they had the pokemon follow you around. The pokewalker was also pretty awsome, and the Pokethon just adds like 12 different games to the whole thing. I didnt like how u had to go find red to get a badge instead of beating the elite four, i thought that should have been a seperate badge but its all good. I dont like game center cause theres only one way to get tokens and i hate that game lol.
    It would have been better if they didnt overuse the bird legendaries in the sinnoh games to make these games better but thats just me also. when i got them while playing platinum i was pretty happy that they were there but wonderd why kinda

I did like the underground with the sinnoh region though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2010
    hard to say. I think they are tied because they each have their own unique aspects that make them awesome :). I like plot in Platina better though because it was more in depth.

Back