• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't Let the Catz say Zero! [DLTMS0 v4.0]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

So I finally got around to doing these properly. r8 me.
Spoiler:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

If anyone went all out and drew 9 pictures for something as pointless as a 3x3 I would be impressed.

Edit - I guess having it all in the same style might look gud though.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

I guess thoughts on this would vary from artist to artist. If it was me putting out art on the public domain, be it a song, a picture of Konata from Lucky Star eating a chocolate cornet wearing a school swimming costume or a video of me and some fellow football team members doing the Hare Hare Yukai I wouldn't mind what people did with it. In fact if somebody wanted to remix something I made it might even feel nice. Of course some will not but I would hope the higher percentage would agree with me, you're putting things on the internet after all

Out of interest what would your reaction be if you spotted somebody using one of your pictures as a set somewhere?

Years

I always wanted a gif avatar that isn't a Pokemon sprite but I can never find something that fits the 100KB size limit, and also I can't seem to utilize LunaPic well.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

I'm not the old-timey, stubborn kind who wants to combat the sharing of my work. If the stuff I make can inspire others and give them ideas to continue upon, that's great. Work I do for money I don't generally put up online, anyway. The only thing I'm adamantly against is commercial use of things without my permission. But that's irrelevant.
From people using my things for purposes without monetary gain, all I can expect is for them to follow their morals and common sense. I'd rather not it be misrepresented/given a whole different meaning. But it's basically an honour system.

Which leaves giving credit. Something I expect of everyone to view as common courtesy. Of course I won't expect them to shove a big URL on their avatar. But a little title tag somewhere explaining where they got it from is appreciated. No matter what, it's usually fine if they don't start claiming credit where they shouldn't. Putting a photoshop filter over someone's drawing and saying "credit: me" isn't very nice at all, as you'd expect. It also annoys me whenever I see a photoset that says "credit: konachan/tumblr/google". It just shows a massive lack of effort to look things up (and it also makes you look like a massive tool).

But again, it's an honour system.

Regarding tags and signature banners and such in general, I don't mind them, because they don't hurt anyone.

Now, editing artwork might imply to some people that you don't consider it good enough as it is. That's something I want more people to consider. Adjusting colours and cropping to make it fit in your context is of course necessary in many sets. It's not done with any offense in mind, but once you start doing major changes for seemingly no reason, you start to wonder why exactly that was necessary.

Also, people who go out of their way to actively remove watermarks/signatures.

**** those guys.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

When I see a big ugly watermark on a good piece of art it makes me sad. I have gone out of my way to remove them in the past just to see an untarnished picture.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

Clearly our priorities differ a bit on the matter, Lappy.

Your take is one I recognize, because I see it all the time. I used to have it myself.

It usually goes something like this;
"They should just be happy that I chose to use their artwork, right? Even if I change it so that I like it better. Can't they just appreciate that?"

Me and my friends and colleagues have had to deal much too often with art thieves, and people who find work that's taken hours of fine adjusting to get right and just change the colours to purple and pull the contrast way up, because that looks so much better, right, and now they're an artist too. All the times I hear about commercial websites, Russian restaurants, and such things using hobbyists' artwork without them even knowing of it. Are the creators just glad they liked it enough to use it on their site banner or their menu? Are they glad someone recoloured their hard work and put it uncredited on tumblr, for thousands to reblog? No. No, they never are. Back when they didn't have to deal with this, with all the drama that follows being an artist on the internet, they might have been okay with it, but now the appreciation in someone choosing to use our work is gone.

This is never black and white. Themes on PC are in almost all cases fine, and they're usually good at giving credit, too. I just wish more people thought about how the artist, the human being who put a lot of effort into this picture, would feel. Because uploads on DeviantArt are not public domain.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

Using stolen artwork for personal gain, be it money or reblogs, is of course wrong. I thought that would go without saying to be honest with you. I actually have first hand experience of something like it and it was irritating. >tfw a football manager image pack you worked on and are giving away for free ends up on ebay

For personal use though nope. I believe in equality. If a person steals anime, music, tv shows, books and software without thanking the producers then why should artists be any different?

Of course if I were to upload a few of my pictures only to see them bastardised perhaps my stance would change slightly. I don't think it would but it might.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

Yeah, you're pretty much right.
My (slightly idealistic) view on piracy is that it's a method for consumers to compare and gain access to products they otherwise wouldn't, while still respecting the work and its author, by purchasing when possible and worth the product. Once again with my bloody honour systems. Though I know it's often not the case.

Now that I think about, it's rather funny how I, someone who consistently browses /a/, can preach universal kindness and respect on the internet.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

I think this is why I've been using less and less themes that are made from using fanart to using things such as sprites, what I'm using now, or more ideally, my own artwork. Of course until I am completely satisfied with my art abilities it might still be a while until I don't use fanart again like Pokey but I feel like I've gotten better with not using fanart as often and when I do seeing about crediting the original artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back