• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DS vs. PSP

Well, which one?

• Total voters

Lucifer.

Custom'D
Years
  • dezmond said:
    Discs >>>>>>>> Carts

Not strictly true. They both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I'd prefer cartridges for a handheld system. I don't want to sit through loading screens playing a portable game. I want quick, swift screen transactions. Just compare the pace of FF Origins (PS1) to FF Dawn of Souls (GBA) to see how much better the experience is when the screen doesn't need to black-out for a few seconds before battles.

Also, the argument that Nintendo is a kiddy company is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in years. Sure, they didn't do themselves any favours when making The Wind Waker look like a Powerpuff Girls game, but on the whole their style of games hasn't changed since the days of the SNES, and back then I don't remember a whole lot of 16-25 year-olds complaining whilst enjoying ALttP and Super Mario World...

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 27, 2007
    Nintendo is kiddy. That's a fact.

The most people who own nintendo products are children.
    And also the most part of the games Nintendo releases are for children.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • dezmond said:

Don't generalize, please. Nintendo has it's share of mature(I don't mean the rating, mind you) games too.

Most is the key word in the second part of your statement that kinda contradicts what you said in the first part.

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
  • dezmond said:

DS vs. PSP

Oh, that's so kiddy. It must be a fact.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • dezmond said:

That comment is so immature itself, I'm not even going to touch it with a fortynine and a half foot pole. Wait I think I will.

*pulls out 49 Foot Beating Stick*

Do you know that these "kiddy" games are owned (and enjoyed) by tons of people over the age of 25, and that these "kiddy" games are some of the funnest, best-selling, and addictive games on the market? Just because a game doesn't have blood, guns, hookers, and a large "M" in the corner of the box doesn't mean it's a bad game.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Shadow said:
    That comment is so immature itself, I'm not even going to touch it with a fortynine and a half foot pole. Wait I think I will.

*pulls out 49 Foot Beating Stick*

Do you know that these "kiddy" games are owned (and enjoyed) by tons of people over the age of 25, and that these "kiddy" games are some of the funnest, best-selling, and addictive games on the market? Just because a game doesn't have blood, guns, hookers, and a large "M" in the corner of the box doesn't mean it's a bad game.

I'm in the very same opinion. I'll go a step further, and say that PS2 and XBox disgrace videogames by allowing games such as "GTA" and "The Guy Game" on their systems.

Games do not need gory effects, sexual gameplay, or other inappropriate things to be fun. =/

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
  • dezmond said:

Mario isn't kiddy. He's a videogame icon.

Zelda isn't kiddy.

Metroid isn't kiddy.

Pokemon is fairly kiddy, but who cares when the games are so good?

That's 1/4 of (arguably) Nintendo's top 4 games series' that are predominantly aimed at children. You could probably add Kirby and Donkey Kong to the list, but whichever label you slap on them, they're just not mainstream enough (anymore) to matter either way.

Like I said - no complaints were made when Super Mario World and Zelda were taking the 16-bit era by storm. It's only since the the PSOne's release that gamers have suddenly become image-conscious over what they play. Obviously it's not cool to play Paper Mario and Zelda when other games let you hack people to death and steal their money.

Scizor V

"Whatever happens, happens."
    Years
  • Lucifer said:
    Mario isn't kiddy. He's a videogame icon.

Zelda isn't kiddy.

Metroid isn't kiddy.

Pokemon is fairly kiddy, but who cares when the games are so good?

That's 1/4 of (arguably) Nintendo's top 4 games series' that are predominantly aimed at children. You could probably add Kirby and Donkey Kong to the list, but whichever label you slap on them, they're just not mainstream enough (anymore) to matter either way.

Like I said - no complaints were made when Super Mario World and Zelda were taking the 16-bit era by storm. It's only since the the PSOne's release that gamers have suddenly become image-conscious over what they play. Obviously it's not cool to play Paper Mario and Zelda when other games let you hack people to death and steal their money.

Thats true, well gotta roll with the mob I suppose. But I still like those type of games, as they are more entertaining in the long run than the same-ol' hack and slah routine, over and over... Its good I'll admit it but for only a little while then it gets repetitive. Not much thought put into those. But some do have good playable hack and slash games.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • Who else has realized that the DS's battery life isn't what it's choked out to be? Here's a great example- I had mine charging all of yesterday, playing it sparingly(while still being charged), and all of last night. I played it for around an hour earlier today(I guess it was plugged in around half of the time, I was going up and downstairs playing it), and my little brother played it for 5 or 6 hours(I don't know if he played it straight through). Anyway, I asked him to have it back a couple minutes ago, and when I started playing, the light was red. At the time of making my post, the battery is empty.
    10-12 hours my ***.

Other than that, I don't really have anything bad to say about the DS, except that fingerprints on the touch screen get annoying :P

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
  • Brittany said:
    Who else has realized that the DS's battery life isn't what it's choked out to be? Here's a great example- I had mine charging all of yesterday, playing it sparingly(while still being charged), and all of last night. I played it for around an hour earlier today(I guess it was plugged in around half of the time, I was going up and downstairs playing it), and my little brother played it for 5 or 6 hours(I don't know if he played it straight through). Anyway, I asked him to have it back a couple minutes ago, and when I started playing, the light was red. At the time of making my post, the battery is empty.
    10-12 hours my ***.

Other than that, I don't really have anything bad to say about the DS, except that fingerprints on the touch screen get annoying :P

I played my DS about a week ago, and I put it to sleep to go get a snack. I got distracted, and left the DS asleep. Yesterday, I decided to play for a bit, and the game resumed properly. The batteries lasted one hour thereafter. After the batteries died, I charged the DS.

I use my stylus, so there's no prints on the screen. Besides, clean skin creates too much friction on LCD screens.

Any electronic device that uses rechargable batteries should not be plugged in continuously. You'll ruin the battery life that way.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • HellishHades said:
    I played my DS about a week ago, and I put it to sleep to go get a snack. I got distracted, and left the DS asleep. Yesterday, I decided to play for a bit, and the game resumed properly. The batteries lasted one hour thereafter. After the batteries died, I charged the DS.

I use my stylus, so there's no prints on the screen. Besides, clean skin creates too much friction on LCD screens.

Any electronic device that uses rechargable batteries should not be plugged in continuously. You'll ruin the battery life that way.
    First of all, Sleepmode isn't gameplay time. A DS would be a waste of money if you decided to keep it sleeping all day.

When playing Mario 64 DS, using the stylus to change your view is completely retarded. It's very easy to see why the on-screen buttons are placed next to the real ones, and pulling the stylus from behind the machine in a sticky situation isn't really worth the trouble, is annoying, and in some situations, is suicidal(:P).

And no, my system didn't do this because I had it charging too long, it's been doing it since I have used mine. The same with my other two siblings' DSs.

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • dezmond said:

Did you, actually think for 2 seconds before you typed that?

Actually...the average gamer age is 25...:P

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
  • a1337a said:
    Lucifer, you fail at comprehending the state of the videogame scene, now.
    In the 16bit Era, you know why no-one complained? Because gaming WAS for kids back then. But gaming has grown now, evovled, and if you truely think you can compare today to the 16bit heyday of Mario, well then you're as lost in the past as Nintendo is :P
    Gaming is no longer a niche market for children.
    It's mainstream, and companies have to adapt, or face extinction

O_o When I was about 8, all my friends' older siblings had a SNES/Megadrive/whatever. They played Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Sonic - anything that was fun (key word). 2 or 3 of them were over the age of 16.

Maybe that's what it was like where you live, but here, the 16-bit era was a time where games were around to be enjoyed whether they were technically "mature" or not.

Yes, it'd be nice if Nintendo came-up with some fresh ideas that incorperated more mature looks and features, but to criticise their original creations for being "childish" or "kiddy" is the most demented argument of the past 8 or-so years. Especially when the games themselves are (9 times out of 10) so great. What's the point in limiting yourself to games that fit a certain age-related criteria? Sure, you've got a case where Barney's Big Huge Fun Adventure! is concerned, but most certainly not with the majority of Nintendo titles.

I truly don't believe that it can be used as a criticism anyway. Are you saying that people over the age of 16 shouldn't be playing Mario? Are they immature for still enjoying Zelda?

Nintendo's problem is their lack of third-party support, which is where the 18+ rated games would be coming from. That doesn't make them a kid's company. If Nintendo did a Sega and started developing for Sony, PS2 fans would be lapping their games up.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Brittany said:
    First of all, Sleepmode isn't gameplay time. A DS would be a waste of money if you decided to keep it sleeping all day.

When playing Mario 64 DS, using the stylus to change your view is completely retarded. It's very easy to see why the on-screen buttons are placed next to the real ones, and pulling the stylus from behind the machine in a sticky situation isn't really worth the trouble, is annoying, and in some situations, is suicidal(:P).

And no, my system didn't do this because I had it charging too long, it's been doing it since I have used mine. The same with my other two siblings' DSs.
    I've yet to use the stylus fully. I use it only for the Super Mario 64 minigames and The Urbz. Playing Super Mario 64 itself or Metroid I use the wrist strap. I love using that thing, it's somewhat like a flat control stick once you get used to it.

Yeah...when I first got my DS I didn't realize that it was partially charged, I thought it was full. So that died on me ratehr quickly.

I dunno. The battery life keeps switching on me. First week or so, it' die every other day. Then for instance over the Christmas holidays I'd play over the course of a few days (not straight, but for long periods of time. Seeing relatives is boring) and it was lasting. Beginning it was annoying ,maybe I don't notice it now. I don't think I've gotten 10-12 out of it, maybe 8 or 9?

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
  • a1337a said:
    PS2 fans WOULD be, for sure.
    But you know why? Because it's really about choice. Nintendo Consoles can't offer the level of choice that the PS2 and the Xbox do. And you know that's true. You buy a Nintendo Console, you get Nintendo Games. And people like to at least beleive they have freedom of choice.
    If Nintendo released games like they do now, on the PS2 and Xbox, they'd be hailed as revolutionary like games such as Katamari Damacy and Under the Skin are, now.

Well yeah, but I'm not disputing that. What I meant was that every PS2 fan who criticises Nintendo for making kiddy games would most-likely play them if they were on the PS2 or XBox. It's just pure bias towards a single console that shuts their mind to every other console-exclusive game out there.

It's like when GTA hit the XBox. Fans wouldn't shut up about how great it was, even though about a year prior they were probably playing it down just because it wasn't on the XB. It'd be the same if Halo had ever (somehow) made its way over the PS2. A quick peek into the official PlayStation forums shows a truly intense dislike of any big-name games that aren't available on their machine.

In relation to the topic though: the DS is finally being advertised here in the UK. Which is a good sign. :bandit:

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • Lucifer said:
    Well yeah, but I'm not disputing that. What I meant was that every PS2 fan who criticises Nintendo for making kiddy games would most-likely play them if they were on the PS2 or XBox. It's just pure bias towards a single console that shuts their mind to every other console-exclusive game out there.

It's like when GTA hit the XBox. Fans wouldn't shut up about how great it was, even though about a year prior they were probably playing it down just because it wasn't on the XB. It'd be the same if Halo had ever (somehow) made its way over the PS2. A quick peek into the official PlayStation forums shows a truly intense dislike of any big-name games that aren't available on their machine.

In relation to the topic though: the DS is finally being advertised here in the UK. Which is a good sign. :bandit:

That's actually a very good point O_O and very true to

I even admit it myself I had angst against Halo, because I was jealous that it wasn't on Gamecube...now I try my hardest not to be biased, and I think I've succeded decently...

But I still honestly think that they aren't any good launch titles for PSP >_<

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    GTA's going to be a US launch title, so you know that should move some systems. =x

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • TRIFORCE89 said:
    I've yet to use the stylus fully. I use it only for the Super Mario 64 minigames and The Urbz. Playing Super Mario 64 itself or Metroid I use the wrist strap. I love using that thing, it's somewhat like a flat control stick once you get used to it.

Yeah...when I first got my DS I didn't realize that it was partially charged, I thought it was full. So that died on me ratehr quickly.

I dunno. The battery life keeps switching on me. First week or so, it' die every other day. Then for instance over the Christmas holidays I'd play over the course of a few days (not straight, but for long periods of time. Seeing relatives is boring) and it was lasting. Beginning it was annoying ,maybe I don't notice it now. I don't think I've gotten 10-12 out of it, maybe 8 or 9?
    Okay, I guess we're kinda in the same boat. I know that I have gotten a few more hours out of it before, but not really 10-12.

I hate using the stylus, except for minigames. In any other situation, if I can avoid using it, I will.

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    I like both equally XP I have a DS, and will get a PSP. DS has Nintendo games, which I still love because that is what I grew up playing, PSP will most likeley get REAL FF games (I hear Crystal Chronicles is coming for DS, I honestly think it is crappy, along with Tactics Advance) and Metal Gear Ac!d and hopefully, GTA games *drools* so really, both have their strengths and weaknesses. I mean PSP has crap battery life, while DS has less grapics. Oh and Brittany, I hate the stylus too XD

Back