• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Early Game Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    That's true, but from the look of some screenshots, we might be getting some better Pokemon earlier.

reNJKrane

CherryGrove Trainer
    Years
  • Adding to the Gym Leader and Elite Four Rosters, I think GSC really lacked good early game Pokemon. Before Violet City, you only had your starter to rely on and a bunch of mediocre or bad Pokemon like Sentret, Ledyba, Spinarak, and Hoothoot. Although you could have gone through most of the game with them and their evolutions, I am hoping this is not the case for HG/SS with the possibility of a more difficult game.

The only "decent" and easily catchable Pokemon in Gold and Silver before Goldenrod city are Mareep, Wooper, Hoppip, and Poliwag (to Politoed). Hopefully, HG/SS adds more useful Pokemon such as Phanpy (added in Crystal), Teddiursa, or Aipom earlier in the game. :]]]

**Note that I did not mention any first generation Pokemon since I want HG/SS to focus mostly on the second generation. (Not that there were many good 1st gen Pokemon available either! ^__^;; ).

I hope the guy in violet city that trade his onix to a bellsprout is now holding a metalcoat in hg/ss.. & so, a Larvitar in union cave or dark cave, I dont care if its not easy to find one..

Britney's Circus

Livin' In Sin Is The New Thing
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2009
    I don't see what is wrong with the first Pokémon in the game. I like them. Most of them come in handy at some point or another. Wobbuffet would be useless. It has rubbish attack, but great defence, making it useless in-game.
    I agree because Jigglypuff is at the start of the game and that's handy with sing. :D

Gordonator123

Believe...
    Years
  • its better to catch a hoothoot for the hypnosis attack,also if they include hoenn pokemon they might include a poochyena which learns bite(may be helpful),butterfree with confusion,also dont remenber if u can find bellsprout at bellsprout tower, but if u can,catch one and trade it for an onix before battling falkner and maybe catching a gastly in bellsprout tower might be helpful since normal types cant hit him.;)

TheAliveTrain

I love *splashes* Magikarps
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2009
    Although I would agree with you that the game needs more Pokémons (not only on the start), I would just because there are 251 in one dex (which should be filled before the elite4, indeed it was not possible).
    They do this because If you had the good Pokémons you wanted In your team from the start, you would only caught those and any other else (I remember my friend, who had 4 Pokémons caught, which were Totodile, Croconaw, Feraligatr and Togepi), so this is a garantee that you will (most probably) catch some Pokémons.

There are enough Pokémons (they may be bad, but are useful) that can be used for the first gym, on every region.
    Kanto: Mankey, Nidoran | Johto: Geodude, Mareep, Onix(trade), phanpy (crystal) | Hoenn: Shroomish, Wingull | Sinnoh: Budew was, I guess

wnxvale

Lugia...Aeroblast!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2010
    wait a minute hold up!!!!! there are some decent poke's (which turn out to be great poke's) in the beginning of the game
    ex: gastly at sprout tower, pidgey (always a staple), and then mareep
    gastly->haunter-> (maybe) gengar are always good poke's with high speed and sp attack
    pidgey->pidgeotto->pidgeot come on now, theyre epic and they do come in handy
    mareep->flaaffy->ampharos one of the better electric tyrpes IMO

now u cant say there arent any decent/good poke's in the beginning of GSC...

and i think they will probly add maybe 1 or 2 new poke's to the begininng areas, just to add a lil more to the remakes..didnt they do that in FR and LG too???

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I think that there are really good pokemon in the beginning of the games, you just have to think about what they will be when they are fully evolved.

And the reason there are not as great pokemon as some people wish in the beginnings is because they try to make the games a challenge so you won't be able to zip through it with all of you favorite pokemon you got from that first patch of grass outside of New Bark Town.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I think that there are really good pokemon in the beginning of the games, you just have to think about what they will be when they are fully evolved.

And the reason there are not as great pokemon as some people wish in the beginnings is because they try to make the games a challenge so you won't be able to zip through it with all of you favorite pokemon you got from that first patch of grass outside of New Bark Town.

There are great Pokémon at the beginning of the game. Except, the thing with most players is that they want better than that. They want to have the strongest team early so they can easily win through the game. However, getting that early team so soon isn't going to make the game anything, but boring.

If you really think about it, if you gain your entire team so early, then what is going to be relateively fun in the game besides training, playing through the storyline, and beating the gyms so you can enter the Pokémon League. However, if we simply wait, and enjoy going through the game, then as you continue to progress and catch that Pokémon you want, it gives you some more enjoyment and something to do. I think it is people thinking about basically having the strongest first when in-game it doesn't matter what you train as long as you enjoy playing it.

For me, yes there are going to be like one or two that I catch early, but I want to play through the game and as I go have new Pokémon to catch and enjoy training for later on. So, if anything were to be changed to the earlier encounters, then it should be minor touches. However, having a Pokémon like, say for example, Sneasel would just be too easy. Not to mention, the location of a Pokémon needs to make sense, it cannot simply be put there because they want to, but rather to have its location somewhere that fits. As another example, in Platinum, we couldn't catch Sneasel until Snowpoint, which is pretty far in the game, however it made perfect sense placing it there and not anywhere else. The same would go for the Ice Cave in the remakes.

[/I used Sneasel as a basic reference, however there are other Pokémon who fit into this category]

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • I agree. I like to slowly gain progress on my team. My only limit is that they're before Mt. Silver so I can use them for the Elite Four. I like to be at pace with the early gym leaders, only having three Pokémon. I don't know how early I'll find Larvitar, but I'll be patient.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Oh, and I just want to put in that just because Gold has these pokemon on earlier routes in the pictures doesn't necessarily mean that they are catchable early in the game. Game Freak/Nintendo probably went to these earlier routes because they want the end of the game to be a surprise and they wanted to show a variety of different pokemon.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • I agree. I like to slowly gain progress on my team. My only limit is that they're before Mt. Silver so I can use them for the Elite Four. I like to be at pace with the early gym leaders, only having three Pokémon. I don't know how early I'll find Larvitar, but I'll be patient.

True, for some reason, I like to gradually build up a team and plan it first (in Emerald, I was left with combusken until after the first gym :P)

I always like the feeling of starting afresh with nothing but your starter and a random buggy thing :P

Britney's Circus

Livin' In Sin Is The New Thing
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2009
    I would still want Jigglypuff at the start near the little building because it's a challenge with Jigglypuff. xD

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • It won't matter to me if they change the pokemon available early in the game or not. I always trained my starters to their second stage before challenging the first gym so falkner was not a problem. I also have to agree that pidgey is a very good early game pokemon. I like training my pokemon and enjoy building my team on the course of the game. It would really be boring if I can capture a larvitar or teddiursa at the beginning and sweep the gyms easily :/ .

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    It won't matter to me if they change the pokemon available early in the game or not. I always trained my starters to their second stage before challenging the first gym so falkner was not a problem. I also have to agree that pidgey is a very good early game pokemon. I like training my pokemon and enjoy building my team on the course of the game. It would really be boring if I can capture a larvitar or teddiursa at the beginning and sweep the gyms easily :/ .

Couldn't you always catch a Teddiursa early on if you went to that little patch of grass at the bottom of Route 45(?) in the morning? My memory's a little hazy, but I seem to remember that you could catch Teddi in Gold and Phanphy in Silver in the same place.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Couldn't you always catch a Teddiursa early on if you went to that little patch of grass at the bottom of Route 45(?) in the morning? My memory's a little hazy, but I seem to remember that you could catch Teddi in Gold and Phanphy in Silver in the same place.
    I really don't remember being able to catch teddy early in the game. Well, I only found teddy and Ursaring the first time when I was exploring Mt.Silver!

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Yes, Teddiursa was able to be caught around Route 45 in Silver only. So, the only way to get it to Gold was by trade. However, when Crystal came out it altered its location and made trainers able to catch it a bit earlier. Crystal had moved Teddiursa to the Dark Cave but it was a rare Pokémon to come by. Now, if they follow this that is fine, but either way, if I were to even catch a Teddiursa I wouldn't mind catching it later in teh game at a little higher level. I think it'll be more fun to train it and build my team at a steady pace. Not to mention, as I slowly build my team rather than hunt for Pokémon too early I think I'll have a bit more fun. Though, I do agree Larvitar could be placed a little earlier in the game instead of in Mt. Silver, but not too early either. I think Larvitar is a pretty sturdy Pokémon by itself and catching it even before the third gym could make things a bit to easy for players.

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
  • I hope they keep some of the early-game choices that Crystal had, since that offered a lot more (even if they were a bit rarer). I don't like being forced to have basically the same team over and over again when I play the game multiple times, or having the same team as everyone else playing the game. I don't mind if they make some of the other Pokemon rare, I can search for awhile if it's something I really want to use on my team.

kellogs

Crunchy
    Years
  • I hope they keep wooper early in the game,so cute :D Im hoping the levels will be a bit higher for training and catching.I would love it if Teddiursa was available earlier,would be a nice change to the standard early pokemon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back