• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Elite Battle 2015: Gen 5 battle skin

Telemetius

Tele*
Years
  • Hey there. First time posting here.

I got the same error when I ran the EBS, and diving into the code for the "PokeBattle_Battle" section shows that the V16 update changes the parameters of the "pbRecallAndReplace" function on line 1465.

Code:
    Old V15 Code:
    def pbRecallAndReplace(index,newpoke,batonpass=false)
        @battlers[index].pbResetForm
        if !@battlers[index].isFainted?
          @scene.pbRecall(index)
        end
        pbMessagesOnReplace(index,newpoke)
        pbReplace(index,newpoke,batonpass)
        return pbOnActiveOne(@battlers[index])
      end

New V16 Code:
    pbRecallAndReplace(index,newpoke,newpokename=-1,batonpass=false,moldbreaker=false)
          @scene.pbRecall(index)
        end
        pbMessagesOnReplace(index,newpoke,newpokename)
        pbReplace(index,newpoke,batonpass)
        return pbOnActiveOne(@battlers[index],false,moldbreaker)
      end

Now it has five parameters rather than three, and the names have been changed slightly, so the error is caused by the EBS calling the old number of parameters with the old names. Because Essentials V16 isn't using the old parameters, it can't retrieve information about the next Pokemon being sent out, causing an endless loop. This is the code used by the EBS in the section "#1 Battle" around line 260:

Code:
    alias pbRecallAndReplace_old pbRecallAndReplace
      def pbRecallAndReplace(index,newpoke,batonpass=false)
        @replaced=true
        return pbRecallAndReplace_old(index,newpoke,batonpass)
      end

Luckily there is a quick solution to this that fixes the loop and lets you complete a battle against a trainer. In the "#1 Battle" code section, go to line 248 ("alias pbReplace_old pbReplace") and delete all the code down to line 264 (just before "alias pbRun_old pbRun"). Then copy the code below and paste it on line 248:

Code:
    alias pbReplace_old pbReplace
      def pbReplace(index,newpoke,newpokename=-1,batonpass=false,moldbreaker=false)
        if !@replaced
            @scene.pbRecall(index)
          end
        end
        pbReplace_old(index,newpoke,batonpass)
        @replaced=false
      end

alias pbRecallAndReplace_old pbRecallAndReplace
      def pbRecallAndReplace(index,newpoke,newpokename=-1,batonpass=false,moldbreaker=false)
        @replaced=true
        return pbRecallAndReplace_old(index,newpoke,newpokename,batonpass,moldbreaker)
      end

This lets the EBS use the new parameters so that it can retrieve information about the Pokemon during battle. This is only a temporary fix to help allow you to test your game in V16 using the EBS system, until Luka S.J. officially updates EBS for V16, in which case you should use the updated code. Hope you understood all of this and it fixes the issue for others too!

O.o Well it does! I haven't completely tested it but for now every battle shows absolutely no errors :D

Years
  • O.o Well it does! I haven't completely tested it but for now every battle shows absolutely no errors :D

Glad to hear it's working! :)

I know though that there are some more issues when using the EBS system with V16, which I'll try to have a look at and fix if I can (still not very familiar with Ruby/RGSS coding). One such issue is that using a Pokeball to catch a Pokemon during a wild battle throws up an error similar to the one described above. I think there was also an issue in using items in battle earlier in the thread?

I'm going to be testing EBS with V16 to find anymore issues like these that can be fixed until Luka updates EBS officially, so if you find any errors or problems while testing EBS too then post them here with the error.log information and I'll see what I can do :)

Years
  • Hey guys, back again. Hope I'm not over-crowding the forum too much, but I've managed to fix the error brought up when using a PokeBall in battle. It's the same parameter issue all over again, and here's the fix:

Go into the "#2 Scene" section of EBS and scroll down to line 785. It should say "def pokeBallThrow". Inside the brackets of the function add an extra comma between "shakes" and "targetBattler" and type "critical", or for simplicity sakes just replace the line of code with this:

Code:
    def pokeballThrow(ball,shakes,critical,targetBattler,scene,battler,burst=-1,showplayer=false)

The problem was the V16 update introduces "critical capture" as a feature, so the EBS wasn't retrieving the information on whether the throw was a "critical" or not. Now you should be able to capture wild Pokemon with EBS! :)

UPDATE: I've had a look at the problems with using some items during battle and trying to access the Pokedex, and looking at the code it seems that some of the methods in Essentials have changed. These are the related errors:

Spoiler:

I'll try to do some more research into this and experiment around with the code until the issue is fixed, but I'm not sure if it's something that can be easily fixed since I'm not that knowledgeable in RGSS code, so we might have to wait for Luka to get round to it.

Last edited:

ShinxHero

Main Director of Pokémon VSLP
    Years
  • Issue on Wild Battles

Okay, so this is strange for this to happen but literally, the second I entered a wild battle via grass, the battle system itself crashed and gave me this error message.

---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: NoMethodError

EliteBattle_Sprites:150:in `setPokemonBitmap'

EliteBattle_Scene:267:in `pbStartBattle'

EliteBattle_Battle:61:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokeBattle_Battle:2151:in `pbStartBattle'

PField_Field:977:in `pbWildBattle'

PField_Field:976:in `pbSceneStandby'

PField_Field:978:in `pbWildBattle'

PField_Field:975:in `pbBattleAnimation'

PField_Field:975:in `pbWildBattle'

PField_Field:1437:in `pbBattleOnStepTaken'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Christian Morris\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm a tad confused of what this is asking me to do. Does anyone know why this is happening per chance?
    (Yes, I'm using the Elite Battle System, made by LukaSJ.)

Years
  • Okay, so this is strange for this to happen but literally, the second I entered a wild battle via grass, the battle system itself crashed and gave me this error message.

Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: NoMethodError

EliteBattle_Sprites:150:in `setPokemonBitmap'

EliteBattle_Scene:267:in `pbStartBattle'

EliteBattle_Battle:61:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokeBattle_Battle:2151:in `pbStartBattle'

PField_Field:977:in `pbWildBattle'

PField_Field:976:in `pbSceneStandby'

PField_Field:978:in `pbWildBattle'

PField_Field:975:in `pbBattleAnimation'

PField_Field:975:in `pbWildBattle'

PField_Field:1437:in `pbBattleOnStepTaken'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Christian Morris\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Assuming to start with, that you aren't one of the 100 people trying to jam Elite Battle, an essentials v.15 script, into v.16, then I would say that error is coming from you not having one of the neccessary graphics in your game. Whether that be a hud graphic or battler graphic, I don't know.

Yes, your right. Going into the code, there isn't anything to suggest there's a coding issue but the error is related to the Pokemon back sprites, so it's possible at least one of the back battler sprites is missing. Here's the line of code the error is created:

Code:
    @bitmap=pbLoadPokemonBitmap(pokemon,back)

I'd suggest downloading all the assets again from the front page, making sure they're installed correctly according to the instructions.

Years
  • Hi, it's the first time i'm posting here on this thread (actually my first post overall). And i came here with a problem, yeah i know that EBS is not upgraded but i've followed a lot of instructions (including the one's suggested by Zodiac123), but something different went wrong.

When i started a wild battle, the wild Pokémon appeared normally, but when my trainer sends out his Pokémon, right after this one appears, the game crashes. Can anyone help me with this?

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Guys, can you just Hakuna your Tatas for a bit? Like I've mentioned before, I don't have my work machine on me at the moment, and won't have for around a week. You're not going to die if you don't use EBS alongside v16 for that week. All I'm asking is to have just a little patience. I will update the system as soon as I get the chance. Also understand that these hotfixes don't properly solve the issue, as changing the EBS to accomodate the new def structure breaks its compatibility with the previous versions. So there is that too. I already know how I'm going to address all the issues (and there is a new significant feature to come to EBS). Just chillax in the meantime.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Guys, can you just Hakuna your Tatas for a bit? Like I've mentioned before, I don't have my work machine one me at the moment, and won't have for around a week. You're not going to die if you don't use EBS alongside v16 for that week. All I'm asking is to have just a little patience. I will update the system as soon as I get the chance. Also understand that these hotfixes don't properly solve the issue, as changing the EBS to accomodate the new def structure breaks its compatibility with the previous versions. So there is that too. I already know how I'm going to address all the issues (and there is a new significant feature to come to EBS). Just chillax in the meantime.

Haha yeah sorry, just had a little "Passing Craze" :D. I understand these fixes don't solve the whole problem, as it's a bit beyond my level; just wanted to share at least the fix that let's you complete a battle so it's somewhat functional.

This is probably my last post for a while, but don't think that we're trying to pressure you. Take your time because the work you've done is really cool and awesome, and we're only sharing our support and enthusiasm :)

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
    Years
  • Hey, just wanted to say I'm looking forward to his new "significant" feature, and what it has in store for us!

gatolete22

pokegod investigation and crazy
    Years
  • ayuda los script que tu mencionas tienes que quitar los anteriores o no osea los script viejos y si son los viejos script cuales tienen que ser
    Help your scripts you mention have to remove the previous or old bone script and if the script which must be old

Years
  • Hey Luka,

I am quite new to using rpg maker XP and essentials. So my question is that I have essentials 16.1 and I have only changed 1 or 2 lines in the moveffect script and some attack descriptions and accuracy in the pbs. Would these changes need to be reimplemented if I download this glorious elite battler system? As well If I want to use the generation 6 add-on as well, is there a specific order i would need to install the files?

Thanks

Years
  • Hey Luka,

I am quite new to using rpg maker XP and essentials. So my question is that I have essentials 16.1 and I have only changed 1 or 2 lines in the moveffect script and some attack descriptions and accuracy in the pbs. Would these changes need to be reimplemented if I download this glorious elite battler system? As well If I want to use the generation 6 add-on as well, is there a specific order i would need to install the files?

Thanks

I am not Luka, but.

1.) You don't need the Gen VI Pack, because all of the effects are coded into v16.1 Now, you may need the new Gen VI Pack, where they're adding Essentials-formatted PBS files to add in the items and Pokemon from Gen VI that already have the proper codes in v16.1, then yes you need that.
    2.) At the moment, the Elite Battle System is not compatible with v16.1. Luka is working on that, or will be when he gets back on his work computer in a few days. He already knows what he has to do, he just doesn't have the ability to do it yet.
    3.) When EBS for v16 comes out, you will need to install the EBS first, then the Gen VI files. The EBS's Pokemon.txt won't have Gen VI Pokemon (unless Luka adds them with the next update.)

Years
  • I am not Luka, but.

1.) You don't need the Gen VI Pack, because all of the effects are coded into v16.1 Now, you may need the new Gen VI Pack, where they're adding Essentials-formatted PBS files to add in the items and Pokemon from Gen VI that already have the proper codes in v16.1, then yes you need that.
    2.) At the moment, the Elite Battle System is not compatible with v16.1. Luka is working on that, or will be when he gets back on his work computer in a few days. He already knows what he has to do, he just doesn't have the ability to do it yet.
    3.) When EBS for v16 comes out, you will need to install the EBS first, then the Gen VI files. The EBS's Pokemon.txt won't have Gen VI Pokemon (unless Luka adds them with the next update.)

Oh, well thanks for your answer Rot8er! I am still looking into essentials v16.1, i didn't know 6th gen was already implemented thanks

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • 522275706c7726caccd7bf857697be18.png

Update Time!

So the day has finally arrived where the Elite Battle System will work on those v16/v16.1 games. To celebrate the release of the compatibility fixes, I've created a new (and custom) VS animation for any special trainer battles you may like to use.

To use the new VS animation, follow the same rules as with the stock VS animation. There is just a slight change in the file names to note. Instead of naming your VS bars and mugshots vsBar#{trainerid} and vsTrainer#{trainerid} respectively, you name them vsBarSpecial#{trainerid} and vsTrainerSpecial#{trainerid}, respectively.

Quite a few things had to be fixed, and I've changed up the way the resources get handled, but fear not, everything you have in place now will continue to function without any problems. To update your EBS make sure to re-download all the scripts again (apart from the Maths section), and apply them to your project. The resource pack also contains the new graphics and a new PBS/pokemon.txt for your v16/v16.1 needs.

There is still something extra in the works, but I did not want to delay the compatibility fix any further.
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Wow! This update came sooner than I expected! Just been testing it now and everything works like a charm :)... well, almost everything.

This is more of an 'Essentials' issue, but there wasn't any notice of it until I started using EBS v16. When going into the Pokedex screen and highlighting a species you've seen but not caught, the game freezes for a second and then crashes, bringing up this error:

Spoiler:

I traced the error through the code to see if there were any syntax errors, but I haven't edited that part of the Essentials scripts and everything seemed to be fine. I deleted the EBS scripts to see if it worked without them, and it did, but the question mark sprite that appears for seen Pokemon was missing, which I guess is what's causing the error:

NoQuestionMark.png

I even downloaded a fresh version of Essentials to see if the question mark sprite wasn't appearing there, and it turns out it has the same issue. I've also checked the pokemon.txt and that's all fine as well. And yes the question mark sprites are in the battlers folder and all labelled correctly (000.png, etc.) too so I'm not missing them or anything. So the issue is with the question mark sprites but I'm not exactly sure how to fix this. Any ideas?

Other than that though, I'm really enjoying using EBS again in Essentials, and I really like the new V.S Animation you implemented too; helps give that Gen 6 vibe/feel to it ;)

Last edited:
    Back