• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emberstripe Island OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@XWeru

Omnipresent Authority Figure
Years
  • One person every 24 hours. Haven't you seen 'Battle Royale'? :P
    As for the pokémon center, you'll have to check that out in-game or guess.
    When the approximate average length of your characters' actions make it appropriate, the day will change.

M@XWeru

Years
  • Eyclone's kill doesn't count, but considering yours and Umberongirl's actions, you can be pretty sure someone is dying today.

I'll give the rest of the gang a day or two to post, and then I'm moving the story along. Umbreongirl, you are not to reply to Eletj, and I'm sure those who remember all my previous tips and warnings will have an easy time figuring out why.

Anyway, the next, um, part(?) will be up before the weekend is over (and I start my weeks on Mondays, thank you very much), if not sooner. Any character whose player hasn't posted by then suffers the risk of coming down with a serious case of death.

Umbreongirl

As riddled as the tide
    Years
  • <3

There are rules against the characters becoming friends? Oo; I don't remember reading anything in the rules about that. I thought that anything and everything on the island was fair game. But wouldn't that only add to the drama? If those two somehow did make it to the end and they had to end up killing each other off? Or if one of the other players killed Red or Adel off, it would be interesting to see how the surviving friend got back at the other character for it.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • My post will come soon, maybe tomorrow. A combination of school and messed up MS Word hindered me from posting.

M@XWeru

Years
  • There are rules against the characters becoming friends? Oo; I don't remember reading anything in the rules about that.

Of course not. In character, everything's okay.

Okay, I've gotten the replies up for everyone now. These past few days have been a right mess.

Oh, and another thing. Don't any of y'all ever think I'm out to get you, 'cuz I'm actually not, no matter how grim the situation may be. I have all the NPCs written out here behind the scenes, and they act the way their personalities dictate. Also, you'll find that very few situations here will be impossible, no matter how dire they seem, just as long as you're creative enough.

If you really, really get stuck, though - remember that you've always got at least one someone to ask for advice.

Umbreongirl

As riddled as the tide
    Years
  • <3

I'm working on my post as we speak, though I can hardly believe that Adel was the only character attacked thrice times, besides Red, because he just so happened to be with her. And with a sketchy pokemon who may or may not obey her. I'm up to the challenge though, and it will be interesting to see how she worms her way out of this one. >D

Eletj

Once Eletj, Always Eletj
    Years
  • Oh, and another thing. Don't any of y'all ever think I'm out to get you, 'cuz I'm actually not, no matter how grim the situation may be.

Don't worry mate, didn't think so anyway ;). Everyone deserves a challenge.

Last edited:

Arcanemage

Arcanine at heart!
    Years
  • This is for your current rp thread.

Character Name: Bruce Bradley
    Birth Date: February 2

Appearance: He has short spiky hair that is dyed red. He's about 5 feet and 9 inches so he's slightly tall for his age but he's used to getting the strange looks anyways because of his hair color. How many Pokemon trainers have red hair anyway? He always wears dark blue jeans because they're comfortable. He could care less about what's "in" or hip at the moment with the Pokemon world, because Bruce cares more about comfort then popularity. He wears a blue jacket around with him and treasures it greatly because it was given to him by his father before he left to be a Pokemon trainer. His facial features are interesting because his chin juts out a little *maybe that is why he can appear to be obstinate sometimes* and he always wears tennis shoes. He has the build of a wrestler that's tall and wiry and he can run as fast as any track runner in Pallet Town.

Personality: Bruce is a very compassionate guy to everyone he meets. He's willing to put his own time or fancies on the line if someone else is in trouble so that they can have an easier life and not have to suffer. Yet he's not without his faults. All too often, Bruce is stubborn and arrogant about his abilities as a former wrestler and track runner. He's determined at any cost to be the best Pokemon trainer out in the entire region and eventually the entire world. He could care less about making friends with Pokemon, he wants to own them and collect them. Friendship comes second to him sometimes.

He can also be cold and mean to people sometimes because he's a very determined guy. To him, if you get in his way he will find a way to either get around you or he will shove you out of the way. His friends and family have confronted him on this before and he feels guilty about it and is trying to work to prevent it from happening again. He promised his dad that he would set the needs of others before his own needs because that's what a true Pokemon trainer should be all about, not selfish gain.

His attitudes fluctuates though, and at times he weeps for Pokemon out there that have no one to care for them, so occasionally his better side comes out and that's what he's working on developing in his life. He's always searching for answers to life's hard questions like "Why am I here?" "What's my purpose on this earth?" And he's been unable to find them at his home or school, and maybe he'll find them on his Pokemon adventures.

History: He was born and raised in Pallet town, and he was very active in his community. He helped out in the local elections, and always supported one candidate or another, as well as keeping good marks. He was a wrestler and a track runner and made it to nationals in wrestling, although he was more of runner for the fun of it. He had 1 sister who cared more about cooking than Pokemon so she stayed home while he set out on adventures.

She had a couple Pokemon of her own to help her cook, but she was never serious about it at all like Bruce was. His mom and dad were great parents to him, and they often went to do family stuff like together like watch movies, or go skiing. That was one of the reasons why Bruce has the resilience to fight off evil in the world and he would not be the same guy if his parents hadn't helped him.
    Pokemon Starter: Beldum
    Pokemon Gender: Male
    Pokemon Nickname: Taurano

M@XWeru

Years
  • Arcanemage: No. Did you even try to read the rules and the introduction?

Dawn's Hat: Sure thing. You're in a perfect place to get killed, anyway.

Wow, I really need to get a more accurate map next time. I'm getting a total migraine over the misunderstandings here, mainly because they point out how poor the map was. First off, the tentacle-thingy stretching through the middle of the island is supposed to be a river - it is not the road that was mentioned in the first post. That road is not marked on the map... along with loads of other stuff. :\ Oh, well.

M@XWeru

Years
  • Well, we're looking at a problematic situation here. First off, it seems to me like there's a very limited interest in keeping this going. I admit that my replies were pretty starved last time around - my only excuse is that I had little time. Of course, as long as there's a single player left, this game can go on.

Second, I don't think the way I intended for this game to be run has come across clearly. I cut the explanation down a lot because I didn't think anyone would want to bother reading it all, but I see that wasn't one of my brightest ideas. Oh, well - let's try to patch it up as well as we can. I'm going to focus this on Umbreongirl's last post, since it's, well...
    Spoiler:

Oh, man. I love that picture. I just had to use it. Just look at that guy- er, ahem...

Anyway, exaggerated but loveable cartoons aside, let me explain. When you role play, at least when I'm the boss, you do not control other people's characters. In this case all the pokémon and people on the island, aside from your player characters, are considered other people's characters for the purposes of what you guys can control. This is really supposed to include buildings as well, but I can yield a little bit and let y'all describe interiors if you really want to, as long as you don't give yourself any advantages; if I want something in there that you haven't added, I'll just make it so that your character didn't notice (no matter how glaringly obvious the feature may have been). I'll even allow you to fill in whatever I leave out about the appearances of the NPCs if you want, since that sort of stuff really doesn't matter.

Don't go thinking I'm just aiming this at you, though, Umbreongirl - this stuff goes for everyone, but your post happens to have all the good examples.

What you can definitely not do, however, is control the actions of any character except for your own (with some exceptions - if you're a hulking monster trying to push a five year-old girl off a cliff, you're pretty much guaranteed to succeed and don't need to stop your post there); this includes such things as flinging Scyther into the fire and making the girl hide inside a wooden closet in a burning building (who would be that stupid, anyway?). I don't know if you'd decided on it beforehand, but you also controlled Eletj's character, which is even more disallowed than controlling the NPCs.

Additionally, you're supposed to (again, I realize I may not have been clear about this) leave it to me whether you succeed or not when it comes to doing risky stuff - or even downright suicidal stuff, like running down a set of crumbling, burning stairs that somehow managed to flash-fry a Scyther but didn't even give a little girl light burns.

See, the whole point of this role play is not to have the players in control of the situation, as is the case in the chapter style role plays. You're free to attempt as much stuff as you want - if you happen upon something important (like actually finding the girl in the closet) the rest of your post simply didn't happen, since you'll probably want to react to the situation rather than just amble on. In a situation such as the one atop the lighthouse, I would like for you to do whatever you think you'd have time for while up there (picking the rug apart would be alright - its presence is not too unlikely, and neither are its electrical properties) and then give a plan for your reactions, being as specific or unspecific as you want (though I warn you that fighting, or even going near, a fast, slicey pokémon like Scyther with your squishy human limbs is never a good idea) with the details.

I imagine this is different to what you're all used to (especially if you've been raised around chaptered role plays... which I myself had never encountered before this site), so I was planning on being pretty lenient to begin with. Well, I'm actually planning on continuing being lenient, but Umbreongirl's last post cannot stand. You've got to cut, at least, everything from "scy!". Additionally, I'd suggest you change your tactics around a bit; you have less risky options than standing in Scyther's way. Including jumping off the tower.

Hopefully, this clears everything up. If there are still any questions or doubts, feel free to pose them. Otherwise, let's keep going. It isn't strange that a new system like this would have a few kinks to sort out before it starts working smoothly, but it is my sincere hope that we'll have this thing working soon. I apologize if any of my comments come off as harsh, but I need to be clear and make sure that everyone gets the point as quickly as possible, since this role play probably won't go on for that long. As I've said before, this game is here so that I can work out the kinks before I get the real game on.

Umbreongirl

As riddled as the tide
    Years
  • <3

The reason Scyther burned so easily wasn't because the flames were expecially hot, but because Scyther is a bug type. I thought it would be alright if my character slung Scytrher into the fire using his momentum, if I didn't say that he was for sure trapped into it or not, and let you decide if he came back out of the building after my character. As for the character in the closet, you said in your response to my first post "Perhaps somebody was in the closet after all", and it was never specified whether she ran out or not. The Rhyhorn coincidentally charged into the building at the same time, so I thought "Why not?" With all the fire, smoke, and confusion, plus her not knowing that the other two characters were outside, she might choose to stay in the closet and hope that the Rhyhorn passed her by so she could escape. I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood, but I had three things to deal with at once: The oncoming Scyther, The Rhyhorn, and the fire started by the trainer and her Growlithe. If you're suggesting what I think you are, then you're saying I should respond to one thing at a time, which I can definitely do, I just didn't want to chance it and have my character burn alive in there if you wanted me to do what I did instead: Respond to each accordingly, then move on to the next and leave their ultimate fates up to you.

I'll try to correct it, but i'm inside a burning building. Am I really supposed to make Adel stay in there? I don't have much to manipulate in there. I did what seemed to be the only option for her to survive.

Last edited:

M@XWeru

Years
  • The reason Scyther burned so easily wasn't because the flames were expecially hot, but because Scyther is a bug type. I thought it would be alright if my character slung Scytrher into the fire using his momentum, if I didn't say that he was for sure trapped into it or not, and let you decide if he came back out of the building after my character. As for the character in the closet, you said in your response to my first post "Perhaps somebody was in the closet after all", and it was never specified whether she ran out or not. The Rhyhorn coincidentally charged into the building at the same time, so I thought "Why not?" With all the fire, smoke, and confusion, plus her not knowing that the other two characters were outside, she might choose to stay in the closet and hope that the Rhyhorn passed her by so she could escape.
    It's actually very simple, and I think I stated it back at the very beginning of this thread. You are not supposed to control anything beyond your character.

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood, but I had three things to deal with at once: The oncoming Scyther, The Rhyhorn, and the fire started by the trainer and her Growlithe. If you're suggesting what I think you are, then you're saying I should respond to one thing at a time, which I can definitely do, I just didn't want to chance it and have my character burn alive in there if you wanted me to do what I did instead: Respond to each accordingly, then move on to the next and leave their ultimate fates up to you.
    Ignoring threats is liable to get you killed. What I want you to do is give a plan. "She would try to reach the bottom of the stairs as quickly as possible, to then sneak outside and find cover", would have reflected the fact that she does not, in fact, know anything about the placement of people and pokémon downstairs.

Still, going down those stairs at all would be a less than clever choice. Of course, staying up there and waiting for the tower to fall would not be too smart either. You have a glaringly obvious way out to try if you ask me, but I'll leave that up to you. :P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back