• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald: Wild encounter changes not reflected in pokeemerald.gba build

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
  • Hello!

Trying to get all of this done without asking questions, and I've really gotten very far on extensive research and trial and error, but nobody's really writing about wild encounter modifications.
    I'm using Emerald with Dizzy's upgrades from the rh-hideout.

I'm trying to replace route 101 encounters with Sw/SH and S/M Pokemon.
    I found the json file and modified it, but this alone is not enough. I try recompiling and everything's untouched re: wild encounters.

I find the wild encounters header file and note that all the original encounters are still there with none of my changes.
    Also, deleting this file does not cause the make process to fail, and a new file is not generated, so this file looks 100% irrelevant... Though maybe that has to do with object file caching.
    In an attempt to figure out how to generate the C / assembly code for wild encounters, I did run across mapjson in the tools dir, but there appears to be no documentation on its usage. E.G. what goes in the mode field.

Hoping this is a super easy problem that someone wouldn't mind clarifying for me.

If you happen to know this question has in fact already been answered, fill free to link to it as that might be a location where I can find answers to other problems I expect to encounter.

Thanks for your help!

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    If you use PoryMap, for each route/cave/etc, there's a wild encounter section that allows you to edit the species, and level of the wild Pokemon in the area, as well as many other helpful tools.

pokemonmasteraaron

Years
  • If you use PoryMap, for each route/cave/etc, there's a wild encounter section that allows you to edit the species, and level of the wild Pokemon in the area, as well as many other helpful tools.

Thanks, I actually already know about Porymap, it has come up all over my research, but certain aspects aren't working with the screen reader software I'm using to access my computer, so manually editing is really the only option here.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    So, just to be clear, you've tried editing both src/data/wild_encounters.json AND src/data/wild_encounters.h, and that didn't cause any change in the wild Pokemon that would appear?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hello!

Trying to get all of this done without asking questions, and I've really gotten very far on extensive research and trial and error, but nobody's really writing about wild encounter modifications.
    I'm using Emerald with Dizzy's upgrades from the rh-hideout.

I'm trying to replace route 101 encounters with Sw/SH and S/M Pokemon.
    I found the json file and modified it, but this alone is not enough. I try recompiling and everything's untouched re: wild encounters.

I find the wild encounters header file and note that all the original encounters are still there with none of my changes.
    Also, deleting this file does not cause the make process to fail, and a new file is not generated, so this file looks 100% irrelevant... Though maybe that has to do with object file caching.
    In an attempt to figure out how to generate the C / assembly code for wild encounters, I did run across mapjson in the tools dir, but there appears to be no documentation on its usage. E.G. what goes in the mode field.

Hoping this is a super easy problem that someone wouldn't mind clarifying for me.

If you happen to know this question has in fact already been answered, fill free to link to it as that might be a location where I can find answers to other problems I expect to encounter.

Thanks for your help!
    Which file are you modifying? src/data/wild_encounters.json is the one you should be editing specifically.

pokemonmasteraaron

Years
  • Hi! Yes, I am modifying src/data/wild_encounters.json. Though I got nowhere with that, I was finally able to get a change to go through by modifying the header directly. Now, as you know with C, headers aren't recompiled if nothing which includes them needs recompiled, so I had to touch src/wild_encounter.c to get those changes to propagate. Anyway, so I guess we've at least narrowed this down to one simple question. How do I get the changes in wild_encounters.json to propagate to wild_encounters.h.

Edit: Got it! If I touch a file that includes the header, and I delete the header, the make command does build the header from the json and it does propagate. So my last question is, is there any way to make this easier? I'd rather not be deleting and touching every time I change a wild encounter! I could just write a shell script...but ewwww!

Last edited:
    Back