• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emotional vs Physical

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    As far as pain goes, which is worse, and why?

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Emotional by far, you can take all sorts of measures to deal with physical pain, and at times it dies down, but emotional pain is constantly churning in you

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Physical is better, for sure. I've got a high pain tolerance so usually it won't bother me too much... and if it does? There are pills for that.

But there's nothing for emotional pain. You can distract yourself briefly but it's muuuch harder to deal with and never quite goes away, even after whatever situation caused it is well over. D:

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Physical, without a shadow of a doubt, hurts less that emotional pain.

I didn't understand that until very recent events. When something hurts phsycially, the pain dies down, you learn to ignore it. When something has hurt you mentally, no matter how hard you try to ignore it, it's always there in your mind, reminding you of what happened, or what was said or done.

And, with phsyical pain, other people can see it. They can see a cast, they can see a scar or a cut. Nobody can just open your mind up on the spot and see what's wrong. Sometimes you don't even realise anything is wrong.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I don't really separate them.
    Though, the average emotional issue has a tendency to be more persistent than the average physical issue. I blame human cruelness.

I personally have to deal with physical pain a lot more often, though that is a trait of me I believe to be rather unique.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • For me, both are pretty negligible. I've got a high tolerance for physical pain, and I've become so jaded by people around me constantly neglecting me emotionally that emotional pain is nothing nowadays.

Back when I was a teenager though...back when I was weak...I would dote on emotional pain for weeks at a time. Humans are a cruel species indeed. >_>

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Emotional pain is the worst by far. I can deal with being hurt physically, but being hurt emotionally is a different story. You can always bandage up the wounds of physical pain but it is harder to bandage up the emotional pain.

I'm pretty sure there are times when one can hurt more than the other though. For example being stabbed or hit by a car or something cruel like that. To me something as simple as name calling isn't going to hurt as much as the above. something like a broken heart will hurt anyday over a simple punch. That's just my take on it I guess.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Emotional pain causes many to suicide every year in every country. Physical pain only causes that when you're pretty much a vegetable. It doesn't happen very often.

I suffered through more emotional pain in my life than physical; it is definitely worse. I still feel pain from something that happened to be 11 years ago. I still feel the fear of humans instilled into me at the age of eight.

I don't feel my broken wrist anymore, though, and that was nine years ago.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
    Years
  • Echoing what has already been said, it's gotta be emotional. Physical pain can be unbearable at times, but it can be remedied with drugs (y'know, the medical type rather than the recreational/illegal ones). Emotional pain can cause a lot more damage, and sometimes the scars don't fade away.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Physical pain is by far the easiest to get over. It disappears over time, you can take medicine to dull it.

Emotional pain is far harder to shrug off, and it never quite goes away, you either have to feel it out and suffer it, or bottle it up for later. You can only rid yourself of that emotional pain by feeling it's full force or finding some outlet to let it go with. Even when you've felt it out, or expressed it enough to neutralize it's toxic effect, it doesn't vanish. It still hangs around. You never forget it, after all, you can't forget it...it was painful.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Seeing as I am accident prone and have high pain tolerance, makes sense that emotional pain hurts vastly more then physical. It's harder to deal with, when you don't wanna use drugs. You know what I mean?

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Emotional. I hate emotional pain so much, it's not fair.

Years
  • This is a tough one, but I say emotional pain. Emotional pain is deep inside you, and can leave deep scars that may never fade. Physical pain on the other hand, is sort of easier to get over. Medicine could help more for physical pain than it could for emotional pain.

Years
  • Physical pain might hinder me, but it's the emotional pain that'll bring me to tears and completely incapacitate me. Therefore, the latter is much worse, imo.

That, and like a million people already said, you can take medication for physical pain. Emotional, not so much. It's very hard to get over for me, and at times when I feel at my worse, it seems like no one's around, or I can't talk with them for whatever reason. :/

PuNkSter

Typhlosion is on fire!
    Years
  • Well they both take time to recover. Physical Pain can be controlled if you go to the doctor, hospital till you get better but it's hard to control Emotional Pain as it takes over your mind. It's something hard to break out of. Physical Pain does hurt, but Emotional Pain can take it's toll.

I HEART MEGA HITT

ruuuki ♥
    Years
  • emotional

I can handle physical pain alot more than I think I can. In fact, I have a high tolerance to pain after a while because even when it hurts, the worst I could do is cry. When I was younger I used to always get scrapes and stuff. XD

I hate emotional pain the most because it feels like some is trying to rip your heart from your chest... or whatever you want to use for some metaphor. I can't handle pain emotionally because I feel like when I'm upset I want to die. >_<

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Emotional pain is worse by far. Physical pain goes away, you can ignore it. clean the wound, and put a bandaid on it, and it will heal
    but emotional pain leaves scars in your heart that bandages just can't heal.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • My physical wound is healing. But the emotional effect of the fight will remain for a very long time, if not ever. This assures me, myself, that emotional is worse than physical pain.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • Emotional, definetly. Today I felt like dying because of what this guy
    I like said...emotional pain stays with you...physical...not really...

Back