• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen English Name Discussion

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Swoobat_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29#In_other_languages

[URL="https://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4793/capturedcran20110528151.png"]Rhinolove[/URL]. To be fair, it comes from "rhino" (Latin for nose) and the English word love, but... "rhinoceros" is the same in English and French. Trololololololol.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go train my Sirknight and Boober.

While that's uh, interesting, that's what English Name Discussion is for, so I merged yours with this thread for people to discuss how crazy the names of Unova Pokemon are in other languages as well as English. :D

Though rhinolove... hey it could be worse, just think of some of the English names! :(

X8D

Oh My gawd!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2011
    I thought Klink shouldn't have been renamed,Gear was nice

Darthrai

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016

While that's uh, interesting, that's what English Name Discussion is for, so I merged yours with this thread for people to discuss how crazy the names of Unova Pokemon are in other languages as well as English. :D

Though rhinolove... hey it could be worse, just think of some of the English names! :(

Donno, Conkeldurr is probably the worst English name IMO and it is pretty abysmal, but at least it's a pun rather than a bunch of words put together.

By far the worst Pokemon names in any language (apart from Rhinolove) are some of the Japanese Gen 1 names that are just English words, like Lizard, Cocoon, Ghost, Crab, Thunder, Thunders and (especially) Boober. Zenigame might be worse since it's just the Japanese word for "river turtle", so that would be like naming Squirtle "Riverturtle" in English.

EDIT: Time for a straight reply.

1. Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite?
    If we're only counting names that have been changed (otherwise I'd answer Zekrom), then Haxorus - it's just plain awesome, managing to slip puns based on its appearance (ax, saurus) and combine them with Internet slang in a non-clunky way. Hydreigon is also an excellent name, with clever use of Gratuitous German. I do like their Japanese names (Onononononononononononononononononononokusu and Sazandora), though "Sazandra" as it's romanized sometimes reminds me a bit too much of "Cassandra".

2. How do you feel about features being renamed, which are the PokéShifter to the PokéTransfer, the Live Caster to the Xtransciever and High Link (Hilink) to the Entralink? (May have possibly missed some)
    Fairly indifferent to it

3. Do you think that as a whole in this generation, the meanings of the names were more creative than in other generations? For example, Tepig, as in Tepid + Pig. Are there any you favour, but aren't necessarily your favourites?
    Pretty much the same as other generations

4. How do you feel about the name change from Isshu to Unova (varies depending on language)? Was it needed?
    Pretty indifferent to the name change, though there's a bit of Fridge Brilliance in there - while all the other regions had Japanese-sounding names in all languages, Isshu's Japanese-sounding name was changed to an English-sounding one, reflecting the fact that it's basically Poke-America.

5. If you had the power to rename some English names, what would you rename them to and why? Any special reason behind those names?
    Samurott to Shoalgun - A lot less clunky and has a better ring to it.
    Conkeldurr to Conkeldur (one R) - Gets rid of the "durr hurr" feeling of the name and emphasizes the "elder" pun a bit more. "Conkeldar" could also work.

6. Touya & Touko... better in Japanese or English?
    Much, much better in Japanese - "Hilbert" and "Hilda" are somewhat awkward, since they sound a bit too Germanic and old-person-ish; I'd rant more, except that these kinds of names do exist in real life for non-German non-elderly people (Heidi Montag, anyone?). Plus, "Touko" just sounds cuter, and she's the only character that I usually refer to with her Japanese name rather than her English one.

Last edited:

Locket

nothin' but a latiarse.
    Years
  • 1. Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite?
    I really love the name 'Alomomola' - it's so fun to say! Snivy and Oshawoot are also pretty awesome names. For the cities, I think they are better than the other games. Oplecuid and Icciruis are just.. so epic!

2. How do you feel about features being renamed, which are the PokéShifter to the PokéTransfer, the Live Caster to the Xtransciever and High Link (Hilink) to the Entralink? (May have possibly missed some)

I prefer PokéShifer to PokéTransfer but Live Caster is easier to say. I still pronouce Xtransciever as ex-tran-see-ver. I also prefer Entralink to High Link. Suppose that makes me a newbie?:').

3. Do you think that as a whole in this generation, the meanings of the names were more creative than in other generations? For example, Tepig, as in Tepid + Pig. Are there any you favour, but aren't necessarily your favourites?
    Much more creative. I love most of them, its just some are harder to say than just 'Wifgglytuff'.

4. How do you feel about the name change from Isshu to Unova (varies depending on language)? Was it needed?
    It wasn't that necessary but Unova feels so much more better on your tounge than 'Isshu' does. I always thought that Isshu sounded like 'Tissue.. Bless You';L.

5. If you had the power to rename some English names, what would you rename them to and why? Any special reason behind those names?
    Can't really think of any right now. Even though now I keep getting Serperior and Serviper mixed up for some strange reason, thats all I can think of o_o;

JAPANESEE! for once..

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    1. Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite?

My most favourite Town name would have to be Undella Town. Every time I sea it I just think of 'Undella Sea'. There should have been an elusive mermaid Legendary called Arioral in the Bay! My least favourite is Nimbasa City. It's a good name but I preferred its Japanese Name (Raimon).

I prefer Xtransciever and Entralink. Not so much Pokétransfer.

I prefer the names in BW to RBY, definitely. Muk-Muck, Mr Mime- Mr Mime, Voltorb-Volt Orb. The list goes on.

Prefer Unova to Isshu. I never thought that Isshu was a good name. I'm still not sure about Unova though.

Not really

Japanese. Hilda and Hilbert are too weird. I was hoping that they were going to call them Raven and Zahra or something that had to do with the colours Black and White, and somehow relate to Reshiram and Zekrom.

Years
  • 1. Which is your favourite Pokémon, Trainer or City/Location name in Black and White? Why? Did you know its Japanese name - do you prefer that? And which is your least favourite?

I love Foongus/Amoongus and I do not prefer their Japanese names because their English names are awesome and remind me of a certain album by Incubus. Least favorite would be Tsunbea turning into Beartic.Tsunbea is so much cooler to say and I don't understand what Beartic means.

Don't care. Names are names.

I liked the Japanese names for thisgen better myself but Feraligatr is probably one of my favorite names having to do w/a starter.

Unova sounds cooler.

Heatmor to Antheater because that's the only one I can think of ATM XD

IDK what these are...

Beartic's name comes from "bear" and "arctic".

Touya & Touko (aka Hilbert & Hilda) are the player characters

I love Oshawott's name, much better than Wotter... Mijumaru (Osha's Japanese name) sounds cute too.

Touya and Touko... better in Japanese or English.
    JAPANESE!
    I mean, come on, Hilbert and Hilda? I find their names especially funny because BW is based on New York. Nobody in New York names their kids those names. Maybe a little farther south, but not New York.

Hilbert and Hilda are the coolest player character names ever!

Love them! Enough said.

Love all the English names of Gen V.

Last edited:

Darthrai

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016

Japanese. Hilda and Hilbert are too weird. I was hoping that they were going to call them Raven and Zahra or something that had to do with the colours Black and White, and somehow relate to Reshiram and Zekrom.

Yeah, Raven and Zahra would have been way better than Hilbert and Hilda, though "Zahra" sounds a bit too African... A few months ago, though, if the names were canon they would have probably sent me into a rage thinking that Zekrom was going to be portrayed as feminine/female but now it wouldn't matter since both dragons have very manly voices in the anime:P

Back