• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

English, please!

Which do you prefer?

• English (Australia)

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • English (Belize)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • English (Canada)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • English (Caribbean)

• English (India)

• English (Ireland)

• English (Jamaica)

• English (Malaysia)

• English (New Zealand)

• English (Republic of the Philippines)

• English (Singapore)

• English (South Africa)

• English (Trinidad and Tobago)

• English (United Kingdom)

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • English (United States)

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • English (Zimbabwe)

• No preference

• I do not speak English

• Total voters

Cordelia

Banned
Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I prefer British English even though I am American... they just got it right and we messed it all up XD Honestly, the things we do... but of course, at least we can spell center. =P

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Belize English is a thing? o.o

I'd like a hybrid of Australian (which is essentially exactly the same thing as UK) and American English. I like the way Australia/UK does most things, such as the double L in words like "travelling", the s rather than z in words like "realise" and the extra u in words like "colour" or "favour", so I'd say I'm primarily geared towards that because it's what I grew up knowing. But then again there are some things the Americans do with their English that I can't deny I prefer. I've thought about this before and come up with quite a few, but the only one I can think of right now is the American spelling of "jail". I do not now and will never accept "gaol" as a legitimate spelling for that word. Suck it, Australia.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • American English; it's what everyone speaks XD
    But really, aside from the tone you speak it, I see very little difference between the kinds of English.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • English (Southern United States)

Should totally be an option, lol. You know. Made up contractions like shouldn't've, ain't, y'all, 'em, etc. Double negatives...all that good junk! lol

But in all serious, I'm fine with US and UK English. I still spell words incorrectly according to US English because I use a few UK spellings. I used to mainly use UK English in high school cause I thought it looked better, but some teachers would note my spelling so I had to go back to using US.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • American English, but only because that's where I grew up and it's what I'm familiar with/learned in school. If I grew up elsewhere, I'd probably adopt and prefer that area's dialect/language.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Some American English grammar differences irk me, but I'm OK with the different spellings. I think it would be more interesting to hear the opinions of those whose first language isn't English, because anyone else is pretty much going to choose their own variation XD

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • I prefer British English. It's more distinguished, elegant than the other ones.
    And it's also the easiest to understand for a non english-speaking person like me, since this kind of english is more articulated than the american one, for example. Moreover, at school, english teachers have the british accent.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2013
    I never really cared what English I speak or someone speaks. I've been taught how to speak and write US English, but I don't really mind any other.

Natiya

Imaginarium
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2012
    I speak American English myself, but I love the way UK English
    sounds. I think most American I know go crazy for British English
    though xD

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I use a mixture of US and UK I suppose. I prefer the UK spellings of a lot of words, and I pronounce my words as if I were English and not American. But I prefer some American terms over British ones and vice versa.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Spoken and accents don't really matter. I've always used Canadian-English spelling my entire life, but sometimes I find myself using American grammar..
    As for English accents? :3 I like all of em!

Leavanny

YOU S3T MY SOUL 4L1GHT
    Years
  • I live in the UK currently, so English (United Kingdom), I suppose. Learning English was annoying - I'm still kinda confused when people use other kinds.

Back