• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Enter Please.

Years
  • Hello, I'm 14 and I have a problem with Pokemon. I mean my friends keeps on telling me that I'm acting childish by playing Pokemon and so on.
    I know that Pokemon ain't for kids. And I'm proud of being a Pokemon Fan but I don't really know what I should tell them.
    thanks x

gvgisdi

Officially addicted to Crystal
    Years
  • Enter Please.

No worries, there are older people playing Pokémon too. You shouldn't care much about what people think about it. :)

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • If they don't like pokemon then good for them. That is no reason to belittle your game of choice. I don't like Call of Duty or Halo but I am not going to go around and tell the fans of that game that your game sucks. If they are true "friends" they would understand that. Plenty of teenagers and older people play pokemon so I see nothing to be ashamed of.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • Pokemon for Little Kids huh? I always Sympathize those kind of people especially if they are teenagers. When somebody says PkMn is for Kids, it means that the contents aren't mature. So, ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME THAT U NEED VIOLENCE AND MATURE WORDS FOR YOU TO PLAY?!?!? Those Kind of people are the real Kids. Why? Simply because, they don't want to accept Pokemon since they believe that will make them manly. But the truth is, they are actually Kids because they are desperate trying to act like adults.

And if someone tries to tell you pokemon is for kids and all that Nonsense, then let him him at least try to Master Pokemon. I bet he won't even Finish the base game itself.....

You gotta be proud that you like Pokemon, especially since you are not the kind of fool who only wants One of those 18+ games to claim their maturness.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    If it becomes such a big problem, simply stop being their friends. Honestly, friends should respect each other, or else its just not a real relationship, if you know what I mean. It's your hobby and your choice, they should respect those choices and so on.

Besides, what's wrong with being "childish"? You're 14, and you only have so many years to go before you get too busy to enjoy your own time. Right now is your own time and enjoy it with whatever you want to do, not what your friends want.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Honestly, I think you should just ignore them. If they keep pestering you about playing Pokemon, then they hardly are you friends right? A friend accepts you for who you are and what you like. Not harass you for liking something that they don't like.

Besides, if you're really pestered about it, you can just throw them the "finger" whenever they start on you. I did that before. Worked like a charm. Except, I got kicked out of the group that I was in when I did that.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    True friendship goes beyond groups- a real friend would never kick you out of anything. Being in a group does not equal having friends, it equals having acquaintances.
    You know you have a friend when they remain so no matter how much you "grow apart" and no matter if you give them the finger for being anuses.
    How are you so sure that these people who are "bullying" Israaa are his real friends? If they were, then why are they teasing him for something as small as this? True friends would understand. They would tease him a bit, yes, but not most of the time. Not whenever they see him. It would be a very occasional experience.

True friends remains at your side, yes. But what you are saying is completely irrelevant to what I was saying. The "group" that I was talking about is a study group, which means there are adults not wanting to see kids throwing "fingers" at everyone. My friends weren't even in that group.

And with that I now disappear...

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Ohh don't be ashamed to like Pokemon.

Who cares what they think? You don't need to discuss the topic around them but you should still like it if you do.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2014
    Everything has been said, but I'd like to input.

I am 15, so is my Girlfriend and we both love Pokemon. We recently watched the entire first season, and we are forever fighting over my DS. I don't think I will ever 'outgrow' Pokemon, and this entire concept of childish video games is laughable.

My favourite joke about people who play only M rated games. *sarcastic voice* 'This game is rated M for Mature because it contains Violence and Swearing, and Violence and Swearing are signs of Maturity.'

And as for your friends, to be honest, someone who thinks and openly says these things to you isn't worth being friends with, but only if you feel that they absolutely mean what they say, and aren't just teasing :3

I used to have friends like that, and I decided I would rather have no friends, then to endure them, or to pretend not to like something I love. It took me a long time to find my place in school, most of my peers are very unpleasant people, and being as... lets say 'individual' as I am made things harder. The friends I have now are great, and most of them like Pokemon too.

If you have a single friend with similar interests to you, I recommend spending more time with this person, than a group of people who don't truly accept you.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    If they are really your friends, they would just let you to be who you want to be. But seriously, if Pokemon are for kids, why would anyone join PC.

Nox Masque

Faceless Smile...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2011
    Age ratings don't mean "This game is for this group and no-one else" they mean "This game is SUITABLE for this group and above". To be honest, the concept of games being developed around killing people mindlessly, such as the infamous Call of Duty series, seems far more immature than a game built around strategy, planning, foresight, and that actually has a storyline. So yes, while it does contain childish elements, it is by no means a child's game- I don't know any three-year-old who would understand the finer points of building a team around being able to choose the right counter for seventeen base types, without taking into account the complexity of EV's, IV's, and individual type combinations.

So, to your narrow-minded friends, simply ask how playing a game affects your everyday actions whatsoever. Because the simple fact is maturity isn't what you use- it's how you are.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • You like whatever you want. It's easy to criticise someone when they are in group, easy to get a target and start on them.
    Don't worry, you aren't the only who has had to endure this nonsense. And you know what? People who makes fun of other because of that are just stupid. You're fan of Pokémon, so what? I'd be curious to see what kind of game your friends play at, instead of jeering at yours...

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I'm 25 and I love Pokemon. I say what everyone has said - they need to leave you alone. You're 14. you're still a kid... enjoy it.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I wouldn't worry about it, most of the fans are people who grew up with the franchise anyways.

That, and the stuff is crack on a cartridge.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • Here are three things to throw in the face of your common fool who bashes you for Pokemon:

1. Next time someone says Pokemon is for little kids just point out that there are more kids playing COD on Xbox live than there are Kids playing Pokemon. (Turn their argument against them.)

2. Pokemon is the second most successful video game franchise in the world with 207 million copies sold. (Mario is #1 BTW)
    Spoiler:

3. Pokemon is rated "E" for "Everyone", point out that "everyone" is not just 8-10 year olds.

Above all, remember, friends may give you a hard time, just show them you aren't going to give up Pokemon because they don't like it, and chance's are they will leave you alone about it.

Years
  • I'm 21 and I still play pokemon. All my friends know I do and my coworkers all know me as the pokemon guy. And other then the occasional light ribbing no one cares. They all respect that its a game I enjoy and love to play and they don't sit their mocking me about it.

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
    Years
  • It just proves these few things:
    1, They're trying so hard to prove that they're more mature and smarter than you but they complete idiotic act only proved they're actually more immature and stupider than you a thousand times.
    2, Proves they they are hiding something.... Hm... Maybe they like Blues Clues or Dora The Explorer secretly...? Lol.

OK that doesn't seem like few, but try to argue with them with some valid points, and if they still resist, then ignore them and let them get bored out on messing with you depending on your decision against them.

It just proves these few things:
    1, They're trying so hard to prove that they're more mature and smarter than you but they complete idiotic act only proved they're actually more immature and stupider than you a thousand times.
    2, Proves they they are hiding something.... Hm... Maybe they like Blues Clues or Dora The Explorer secretly...? Lol.
    3, They're not your true friends.

OK that doesn't seem like few, but try to argue with them with some valid points, and if they still resist, then ignore them and let them get bored out on messing with you depending on your decision against them.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Aaah, isn't that the age where most people try to act sooo maturely but only and up being more childish than your average 9 year old - in this case the negative kind of childish.

Or, see it that way: If you consider people teasing you for what kind of video games you play an actual problem, you're probably living a pretty comfortable life - Enjoy it! :)

Back