• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
  • Matter of genre. Lucy tries to be Sci-fi using facts confirmed to be untrue, while Harry Potter claims to be fantasy in a matter of, well, fantasy. The former ruins the illusion by trying to be plausible through science already proven false at its release, while the latter encourages suspension of disbelief by proclaiming the use of magic.

But really, fiction is fiction. I'd understand if this were a documentary, but attempts at realism aside, if you had a great idea for a movie based on something that's not true in the real world, would you not run with it? I'd ask for a bit of imagination on the part of the viewer, especially the viewer of a sci fi movie.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Nah, I can definitely watch something claiming to be science fiction and accept that it's part fantasy, if it's using some science that isn't plausible. It's not like I know everything about every theory ever explored in a sci-fi movie anyways. Might watch Lucy at some point. When I'm hungover or something. 8)

In other news, I'm going to watch Guardians of the Galaxy tonight! Opted for non-3D, as the 3D function in my local cinema still isn't perfect and can take away from some movies rather than enhance them.

Years
  • If we're talking about sci-fi, I assume earlier in the conversation we talked about Lucy and how bad it was. If not, it was bad and the ending made it so much worse. Scarlet was the only thing that made it watchable. :[

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    But really, fiction is fiction. I'd understand if this were a documentary, but attempts at realism aside, if you had a great idea for a movie based on something that's not true in the real world, would you not run with it? I'd ask for a bit of imagination on the part of the viewer, especially the viewer of a sci fi movie.

It being fiction doesn't really matter, it has to have some sort of internal and logical consistency for the end product to make sense and be satisfactory. (at least when it comes to those who see why the decisions made are weird) We have a movie that says "okay, let's be realistic...except for when it comes to the one point our entire movie hinges on, then we can turn a blind eye," and that bugs a lot of people. The difference between this and a fantasy movie or whatever other genre is that often enough, movies in those settings are following a line of logic that makes sense within their world. Personally, I think you just get this thing that ends up being disingenuous all around with Lucy.

To each their own, I know the riveting world of internal structure isn't a priority for a lot of moviegoers.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Science fiction, at its heart, is speculative fiction, which is a kind of umbrella term for scifi, fantasy, sometimes horror or superhero or other genres, but basically anything which presents a world or story where not everything works the same way as it does in the real world. So... faster-than-light spaceships, werewolves, flying broomsticks, whatever.

So with Lucy, instead of thinking of the story as a scifi movie with the premise of "If humans used 100% of their brainpower..." we went with it being a fantasy story in which people do have wells of untapped brainpower then we have the same story, just presented differently.

I liked the movie in any case. It was different and I liked seeing something done differently even if it wasn't perfect. Sometimes it's fun to go along for the ride.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • So with Lucy, instead of thinking of the story as a scifi movie with the premise of "If humans used 100% of their brainpower..." we went with it being a fantasy story in which people do have wells of untapped brainpower then we have the same story, just presented differently.

That's the mindset I went into it with. The movie isn't classified as realistic fiction or anything like that, and "what if" in every sense of the term. I still didn't love it, since it moved too fast and didn't make a whole bunch of sense to me, plus the resolution ruined the flow of it for me. but I will digress for Andy's sake

Years
  • I can't see it that way because every single promo I saw involved percentages.

This is why (and for me, it wholly ruins the immersion):
    It being fiction doesn't really matter, it has to have some sort of internal and logical consistency for the end product to make sense and be satisfactory. (at least when it comes to those who see why the decisions made are weird) We have a movie that says "okay, let's be realistic...except for when it comes to the one point our entire movie hinges on, then we can turn a blind eye," and that bugs a lot of people. The difference between this and a fantasy movie or whatever other genre is that often enough, movies in those settings are following a line of logic that makes sense within their world. Personally, I think you just get this thing that ends up being disingenuous all around with Lucy.

If they had at least presented it as "We've discovered a previously unknown section of the brain and we're going to try to figure out what it does" and it turned out to be the powers gained in the movie, it would have been acceptable. As it stands, my immersion was ruined at the first promo I saw.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • So uhm, I don't wanna break the conversation here. But who's going to see the new Michael Bay TMNT movie? I personally am still wondering if I'm going to see it, I LOVE TMNT, but I just don't like Michael Bay stuffs =/

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    So uhm, I don't wanna break the conversation here. But who's going to see the new Michael Bay TMNT movie? I personally am still wondering if I'm going to see it, I LOVE TMNT, but I just don't like Michael Bay stuffs =/

I don't think it will be good at all personally. I'm not excited for it, the turtles scare me. D:

Years
  • It has an awful average on Metacritic (Like, in the 30's) and I don't anticipate it doing that well. I'll pass. :/

I did see Guardians of the Galaxy last week and it was amazing, I recommend. Right up there with The Avengers & Captain America 2 as far as Marvel's best movies, I believe.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Not gonna watch the TMNT probably. At least now until I've run out of other decent options ;)

In other news, did you guys hear that The Last Of Us is officially going to get a movie adaptation? It's really old news, apparently, but I only heard about it recently. Funny, I though Last Of Us was one of those cinematic games that wouldn't do well as a movie because it would be too much the same thing. But I guess this would reach a bigger audience as a generally heartfelt and epic zombie movie. A bit skeptical about Sam Raimi as the director... Time will tell.

screenrant.com/last-of-us-movie-writer/

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Assassin's Creed is also getting a movie adaptation. I don't really play the game, so I don't know if I will see it. It all depends on the trailer :P

I don't think it will be good at all personally. I'm not excited for it, the turtles scare me. D:

Well, mutant turtles aren't supposed to be pretty, right? xD
    The one in the 90's looked more appealing to me imo, but they were more leaned towards kids, which is why in the 2nd and 3rd movie, they didn't really use their weapons that much because parents complained that the 1st movie was too violent, which is why it was more darker than the 2 others that came out.

Tbh, if Michael Bay didn't produce the TMNT movie and everything was kinda different, I would've gone and seen it.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • This is why you guys need to listen to /tv/ when it comes to movies, because they represent the majority of the internet culture, and they've already explained how terrible Lucy is because the "we've only used 10% of our brains" is nothing but a myth and shouldn't be taken seriously, which had them already mark the movie "bad."

So uhm, I don't wanna break the conversation here. But who's going to see the new Michael Bay TMNT movie? I personally am still wondering if I'm going to see it, I LOVE TMNT, but I just don't like Michael Bay stuffs =/
    Surprisingly, almost none of Michael Bay's stuffs were present in the new TMNT movie, so it was decent at best.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Surprisingly, almost none of Michael Bay's stuffs were present in the new TMNT movie, so it was decent at best.

I actually hear the opposite from numerous reviews. Like mediocre acting, horrible scripts, plot holes and eye candy actress. But they said the actions were alright. A lot of them didn't like the turtles at first glance at the trailer, but they said the turtles are not so bad in the movie compared to the trailer.

Knowing these stuffs, I might see the movie since it peaked my interest, but won't expect much of it lmao.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • from what I've read, it's very very bad but not bad enough to be the absolute travesty that many were expecting so as far as I'm concerned there's no reason to see it

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I actually hear the opposite from numerous reviews. Like mediocre acting, horrible scripts, plot holes and eye candy actress. But they said the actions were alright. A lot of them didn't like the turtles at first glance at the trailer, but they said the turtles are not so bad in the movie compared to the trailer.

Knowing these stuffs, I might see the movie since it peaked my interest, but won't expect much of it lmao.
    Funny you should say that, because the latest commercials were showing the praises the film was getting, so I'm wondering where exactly are these positive sources coming from (maybe I should make a separate thread regarding these type of commercials).

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Funny you should say that, because the latest commercials were showing the praises the film was getting, so I'm wondering where exactly are these positive sources coming from (maybe I should make a separate thread regarding these type of commercials).

Did you see from where the praises where coming from? Usually they have stuffs written like

"A must watch movie - Rolling Stones"
    "Best summer blockbuster - The New York Times"

Even on IMDB the movie was rated as an 'okay' movie with a 6.7/10 rating.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Yeah, the movie actually received decent ratings. I'm sure that the story is alright and that there are some funny parts. I will definitely be purchasing wen it comes to Redbox. Anyways boys and girl, IT'S SHARK WEEK!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • It feels like it'll be overly obnoxious and I'm just not into that kind of thing. I never even liked the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles so this is as far out of my alley as a movie could be.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I was somewhat interested in the movie, but I've heard nothing but bad things about it. Sucks that the industry just wants to cash in on old classics, rather than stick to what made those classics great (or preferably letting the classics live as classics).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back