• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever gotten mistaken for the opposite gender?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I think there have been 4 people (who were all strangers) that mistook me for a woman. The 1st time it happened, it kinda made sense because I had long hair and I was wearing red skinny jeans. Then the other times, I had medium or short hair so it threw me off that there are some people who could mistake me for a girl when I'm clearly a dude. I don't have a feminine voice at all. :p

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Online I used to (and sometimes still do) get confused as a guy. I guess the username, avatar and signature is always a tad boyish even if my gender is set to female.

In real life that used to happen till about 2ish years ago. For a girl I always kept my hair extremely short and I never really dressed up like one either. I've kinda grown a it up since then I guess, doesn't really happen anymore.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
    Yes this happens to me all the time. Yesterday even I was grocery shopping with my friend and we were at the deli getting out meat and the manager walked out and said "are these two ladies ok?"
    tbh it doesn't bother me, but it bothers me when either the people im with laugh, or when the correct themselves.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    Nope not really. I did get wolf whistled by a passing car not too long ago though so maybe someone either mistook me for a girl or maybe someone really likes me and it's not just women who get wolf whistled.

I'm open minded about it all.

Years
    In real life, I never got mistaken for a dude although my voice does sound like that of a 12-year-old boy so if one thought I was male it would have likely been that.

On PC though, I have been mistaken for male a countless number of times even though my gender is clearly set to female. The fact I tend to use a lot of male-looking avatars/sigs (such as the avvy of Mark Foster I have right now) could most likely be to blame for this, so I'm not surprised in the slightest. Doesn't even help my name doesn't look all that girly either.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    On the internetzzzz?
    Sometimes it happens, some people think that only girls use moe anime girl as avatar :P

IRL?
    Ignoring the fact that I don't meet with people, no, it never happened.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    On the internet, so far I haven't.

Real life? Well sorry, I look too feminine to even be considered a guy.

However, my close friend tends to get mistaken for a guy. She just entered college, and so far has fooled tens, probably reaching a hundred but we don't really know. That's a record.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Quite often. I get the comment on youtube "Are you a guy or a butch lesbian" all the time, and disappointingly I'm not either. In real life it happens quite a bit too. Perhaps the most obnoxious time was when my ex's aunt was so convinced I was a dude that she told him to tell me to "stop pretending to be a woman".

I think it's more funny than anything though. I am quite androgynous. lol

Poki

Banned
    Years
    Ladieri
    ahhhahhah
    hahaaahahahahaha
    ur girly man
    hahahahah

Anyway... Yes. I get mistaken for a guy on the net. A lot.

It also happened irl once, when I was about 11; I was wearing a hoodie, my hair was in a bun, and I had sunglasses on, so I wouldn't blame 'em. Oh well. **** happens. I don't like looking girly, anyway.

Last edited:

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    not irl
    my face is relatively soft & androgynous but the rest of my body... well, people will see a man
    this is a tricky question to answer once you factor in gender identity

as for online
    i've been confusing people since 2008 apparently
    and i'm very good at doing so

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Online, nobody has ever outright referred to me as a dude as far as I know, but I'm sure it's happened. Just as I'm sure I've referred to other people as the wrong gender before.

IRL? It's never happened, and I think I'm too 'feminine' for it to happen. {XD} I dress pretty girly, my hair is down to my waist, my voice is soft, my face is soft, and I'm, uh, curvy. It'd be kinda hard to mistake me for a dude. =p

Yukari

This has never happened to me online or in real life.

I guess I'm just lucky as far as Online goes, (Or there's something I don't know) but my height, really deep voice, broad shoulders, and generally large build make it pretty hard to mistake me for the opposite gender.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    No, I've got boobs.

:D

On PC it's happened quite a few times though. Mostly when I actually set my gender to male, so that's okay.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I don't think so. I mean, it's pretty obvious I'm a girl, judging from my username and stuff like that. XD As far as offline, people have never mistaken me for the opposite gender either. lol Probably because they notice my boobs lol pervs. However, I do crossdress at my convention a lot... but that's because I walk right into that trap. XD

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Literally every time. I've never been mistaken for the opposite sex though.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
    Online I used to (and sometimes still do) get confused as a guy. I guess the username, avatar and signature is always a tad boyish even if my gender is set to female.

same. I get it all the time on every single website I play on or use the forums unless I strictly specify I'm a girl sighs. It's the username and I "talk" like a guy. Sometimes it's funny how people are confused though.
    In real life, never. I look very feminine even though I rarely dress up like other girls, unless the mood strikes. I also never wear makeup unless it's to a really fancy smacy party.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    my long(ish) hair and other facial features might lend me a SLIGHTLY feminine look but I have a pretty deep voice so if my appearance didn't give it away that does.

Back