• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evolve Inkay Using an Upside-Down 3DS

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2022
    So! A while ago a guy named OliveCopper had the idea of using a 3DS Key Item to evolve Inkay and I decided to make a working version of it! The way it works is that the player can have a 3DS Key Item, which they can use to flip it upside down. If the player is holding the Upside-Down 3DS and Inkay levels up to at least level 30, it evolves. Here's how to implement it:

1. Add these two items to the items.txt file (replacing XXX with the next number on your list):
    Code:
    XXX,A3DS,3DS,3DS's,8,0,"It's a 3DS! You don't have any games, but it does have a gyroscope in it.",2,0,6,
    XXX,UPSIDEDOWN3DS,Upside-Down 3DS,Upside-Down 3Ds's,8,0,"At Level 30 while holding this 3DS upside down, a certain Pokémon will evolve.",2,0,6,

2. Add the script that will allow the player to flip the DS. Paste this in PItem_ItemEffects, under the Item Handlers for the Exp Share.
    Code:
    ItemHandlers::UseInField.add(:A3DS,proc{|item|
       $PokemonBag.pbChangeItem(:A3DS,:UPSIDEDOWN3DS)
       Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("The 3DS was flipped upside-down."))
       next 1
    })

ItemHandlers::UseInField.add(:UPSIDEDOWN3DS,proc{|item|
       $PokemonBag.pbChangeItem(:UPSIDEDOWN3DS,:A3DS)
       Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("The 3DS was flipped right-side-up."))
       next 1
    })
    (Note: With the code like this, flipping one DS will flip all DS's in the player's inventory. It's assumed that the player will only ever have one so it shouldn't be an issue.)

3. Go ahead and add these to the Icons folder in Graphics (or different ones if you want)
    https://imgur.com/HMoxXqF
    https://imgur.com/qYIaBmG
    (remember to name them correctly)

4. In pokemon.txt set Inkay's evolution as this:
    Code:
    Evolutions=MALAMAR,UpsideDown,30

5. Now on to actually scripting the evolution method. In Pokemon_Evolution, in the list at the top, replace this:
    Code:
      Custom1           = 31
    with this:
    Code:
      UpsideDown        = 31

6. Below that list, in EVONAMES, also replace the "Custom1" with "UpsideDown"

7. Add the custom code. Further down in the same section, replace this:
    Code:
      when PBEvolution::Custom1
        # Add code for custom evolution type 1
    with this:
    Code:
      when PBEvolution::UpsideDown  #Inkay
        return poke if pokemon.level>=30 && $PokemonBag.pbHasItem?(:UPSIDEDOWN3DS)

(Note: I used the custom1 spot with this, but you can use any of the other custom spots of course. Just keep it consistent)

I've tested it out and everything seems to be working fine.
    Script and graphics free to use, just give credit.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2023
    Interesting idea! The way I went about doing this was I put a 3DS on a desk in the overworld, and if the player activated the 3DS while facing it from above (aka "upside down"), the Inkay in the player's party would evolve. Of course, this means the evolutions happens independently of leveling up.

Back