• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Berry Watering Animation

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2023
    Berry Watering Animation
    Current Version: 1.0

R56cdh9.gif

Adds an overworld animation for watering berries like how it was done in RSE.

-------
    I missed the little watering can animation that Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald had, so I decided to make one for the FireRed/LeafGreen protagonist sprites.

To use this, place the sprite files into the "Graphics/Characters" folder, and follow the instructions below on how to implement the script portion of this resource.

-------
    Download:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ap7rhrevdyuel5y/[RESOURCE] Berry Watering Anim.7z?dl=0

Instructions:
    Spoiler:

Pastebin Mirror: https://pastebin.com/raw/zbY0e6ij

Attachments

• boy_watering.png
      boy_watering.png
      3.2 KB · Views: 26
    • girl_watering.png
      girl_watering.png
      3.1 KB · Views: 13
    • girl2_watering.png
      girl2_watering.png
      3.3 KB · Views: 11
    • berrytreeplanted.png
      berrytreeplanted.png
      1.1 KB · Views: 7
    Last edited:

Diegou18

Forever Chandelure lover.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2021
    I get this error instantly when I try watering the berries:

Spoiler:

I could say the cause of the error, but I don't would know how to define that method in a good way.

Years
  • The script works fine for me, but my character didn't do the animation. It's like the same without the script. And i added more characters because they are 8 in total. So i was thinking, should i add this to the PBS metadata file? Like the method of bicycle and etc?

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2023
    The script works fine for me, but my character didn't do the animation. It's like the same without the script. And i added more characters because they are 8 in total. So i was thinking, should i add this to the PBS metadata file? Like the method of bicycle and etc?

Err, how do you know that the script is working if it's not doing the animation lol? Do you just mean that it compiles without error?

I'm not sure what could be causing it to not work for you... Metadata additions aren't required because the script isn't reading the metadata. Maybe check to make sure that you don't have other script sections overwriting the functions that are being edited? Like check to see if you have multiple instances of def pbBerryPlant.

Years
  • The compile thing yes. I'm sure that i followed your instructions to the letter. But, maybe i'll do one more recheck. I don't have any other script using that instances. I will let you know after my recheck.

Diegou18

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2021
    Maybe instructions aren't clear at all (at least for me) because I have 6 phrases in the script with "interp.setVariable(berryData)" inside of "def pbBerryPlant". I didn't know where to place the part of the script that you said about putting it above "interp.setVariable(berryData)" since I have 6. I put it above the one that it's before the messages when you're watering the plant, but I got the error that I've posted before anyways. The other parts of the script are good placed, in my opinion, because they only could be in a unique place (or obvious ones, like the last one), not 6 similar xd.
    Anyone could help me? Why do I need to define that method and nobody has to? Or where do I have to define it, if anyone did it? Did I miss other script that other people have? My PField_BerryPlants script hasn't been modified, except some translations, but they don't affect this. May be the version of my game (it's v17.2)?

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2023
    Maybe instructions aren't clear at all (at least for me) because I have 6 phrases in the script with "interp.setVariable(berryData)" inside of "def pbBerryPlant". I didn't know where to place the part of the script that you said about putting it above "interp.setVariable(berryData)" since I have 6. I put it above the one that it's before the messages when you're watering the plant, but I got the error that I've posted before anyways. The other parts of the script are good placed, in my opinion, because they only could be in a unique place (or obvious ones, like the last one), not 6 similar xd.
    Anyone could help me? Why do I need to define that method and nobody has to? Or where do I have to define it, if anyone did it? Did I miss other script that other people have? My PField_BerryPlants script hasn't been modified, except some translations, but they don't affect this. May be the version of my game (it's v17.2)?

Oh you're right. Whoopsie!

Let me rewrite the instructions a bit...

EDIT: Done.

Last edited:

Diegou18

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2021

I guess I solved the "no method" error. I just deleted the lines "$game_player.step_anime = true" and "$game_player.step_anime = false" due they're not defined in Essentials (at least not 17.x).

Now, the only problem that I should fix it's about the static animation of "watering", the problem of "not showing" running sprites after watering a berry and the "walking on Pokémon" while you're surfing after watering a berry too.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2023
    I guess I solved the "no method" error. I just deleted the lines "$game_player.step_anime = true" and "$game_player.step_anime = false" due they're not defined in Essentials (at least not 17.x).

Now, the only problem that I should fix it's about the static animation of "watering", the problem of "not showing" running sprites after watering a berry and the "walking on Pokémon" while you're surfing after watering a berry too.

Well "step_anime" is the script equivalent of the "Stop Animation" flag in events. It makes a character sprite sheet go through its movement frames constantly while not actually moving. Without this, your watering can will be using a static animation (no water dripping out of the can). I'm not sure why it would be undefined when it's a base RMXP function.

Diegou18

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2021
    Well "step_anime" is the script equivalent of the "Stop Animation" flag in events. It makes a character sprite sheet go through its movement frames constantly while not actually moving. Without this, your watering can will be using a static animation (no water dripping out of the can). I'm not sure why it would be undefined when it's a base RMXP function.

My game was giving me the error until I changed "$game_player.step_anime = true" with "@step_anime = true" (same with the false variant). Maybe the part of "$game_player." didn't fit with "step_anime" for some reason. But, in both cases, when I'm watering the plant, the "animation" doesn't appear. I mean, the sprite changes, but doesn't move. When I deleted the line "$game_player.step_anime = true" and the false ones, I noticed that the moves of the animation appeared when my character walked. Maybe there's something missing.

Anyways, the problem with running and surfing are still there. I'm trying to figure it out how to solve them.

Years
  • Hello again!

I just updated the script with your recend "instructions" and when i'm about to watering a plant, this error pops up:

error13.png

How can i fix it? Thx.

Diegou18

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2021
    Spoiler:

I solved it doing what I wrote in the post that's above yours of this quote, but I had some consequences that I mentioned there too. I really don't know how to solve these. Another solution may exist, but I've not figured it out yet.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    To fix the undefined method 'step_anime=' for #<Game_Player> issue, just add this to the top of the script:

Code:
    class Game_Player
      attr_accessor :step_anime
    end

This exposes the step_anime instance variable within $game_player to the outside, allowing you to $game_player.step_anime = true/false. This isn't exposed for the game player by default.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2023
    To fix the undefined method 'step_anime=' for #<Game_Player> issue, just add this to the top of the script:

Code:
    class Game_Player
      attr_accessor :step_anime
    end

This exposes the step_anime instance variable within $game_player to the outside, allowing you to $game_player.step_anime = true/false. This isn't exposed for the game player by default.

Ah, I have that defined elsewhere so that explains why I didn't notice. I'll add that to the script, thanks!

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Ah, I have that defined elsewhere so that explains why I didn't notice. I'll add that to the script, thanks!

Yeah I have the same all the time, not knowing what should or shouldn't be added because some other script somewhere defines it. That's why I eventually decided to release my own Scripting Utilities resource - you could consider the same if it happens more frequently :P

That said, for something that does have a perfectly functioning effect (step_anime), it is quite weird that they didn't feel like making it public.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2023
    Yeah I have the same all the time, not knowing what should or shouldn't be added because some other script somewhere defines it. That's why I eventually decided to release my own Scripting Utilities resource - you could consider the same if it happens more frequently :P

That said, for something that does have a perfectly functioning effect (step_anime), it is quite weird that they didn't feel like making it public.
    Well I don't think I have enough complicated scripts just yet to have enough custom stuff to justify a separate resource, but there have been some things that I've used for more than one of my script resources in the past that I've had to define for each one. Maybe eventually it will be worth making a separate utilities resource. :P

But considering how easy it is to define this and how useful it is to have defined (and how inconsistent it is to not have it defined), might be worth mentioning to Maruno about getting it added to PE for future versions.

Back