• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Exp Gain too Low in B/W

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Grinding sucks when first starting out, after that, and when Audino's start to appear, nothing to worry about tbh.

I actually like the exp system changes, since it makes it hell easy to train weak Pokemon later on. :3

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I NEVER run from wild Pokemon and never avoid trainers...the Audino like to hide from me

I beat Kamitsure (Elesa) and I've literally only run into about 3 Tabuunes...

SHAKE GRASS SHAAAAAKE

please?

well, at least my team is level 25-ish...now to get them all to level 35-37 before I go to Hodomoe...

just takes time to get into the swing of things I guess

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2013
    I hate to tell you this, but you brought it on yourself. I can't find the reference now, but another forum I'm on discovered that using AR to level up has the opposite effect - your Pokémon need a LOT more experience to level up that way! It's one of the levels of AP, sort of, but no one bothered to figure out a way around it since all you have to do is play through it legit.

Long story short, you messed up your game. You want to get through it, you need to restart. Otherwise you're going to be spending a LONG time grinding.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I hate to tell you this, but you brought it on yourself. I can't find the reference now, but another forum I'm on discovered that using AR to level up has the opposite effect - your Pokémon need a LOT more experience to level up that way! It's one of the levels of AP, sort of, but no one bothered to figure out a way around it since all you have to do is play through it legit.

Long story short, you messed up your game. You want to get through it, you need to restart. Otherwise you're going to be spending a LONG time grinding.

AR was in Black Version

and me gaining 450 exp for beating Bianca's Tepig says hello

Besides, I only use the AR to get event pokemon and items so that I don't have to travel all the way to New York City to get one -_-

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I never had problems training. The only time I grinded was before the E4, but I do that in every game.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    there's another thing, the Elite Four
    normally, I just battle through until I lose, buy more of an item and repeat until I've got over 100 revives and super potions

this time, there's such a large level jump between the Elite Four (high 40s) to N and Geechisu (50-54)

it's kind of a shame his Reshiram/Zekrom is two levels higher then YOUR dragon...

DemonBlood93

Ace Trainer
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I like the Exp gain, wasn't to fast wasn't to slow it was just right for me lmao

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • I never had to grind, except for...Nevermind, no, I pretty much never had to grind. Even for the Elite Four, I didnt really need to, since my Serperior was just that..Superior XD. Audinos are quite good Exp actually. And compared to HG/SS, grinding is quite easy. Run around some grass, wait for it to shake, then run in it..Compared to HG/SS where you either have to battle random Pokemon, or wait for one of those newb trainers you have already beaten call you...

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    hang in there I guess
    they're great games, just lacking exp gain until you get Exp Share and Lucky Egg

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    every player offers a unique strategy...I normally am at least 5 levels or below, yet I (somehow) manage to pull off a win...

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Really? Every time I train my Pokémon, the levels went up pretty fast for me, due to level compensation for Experience Points. It's easier to just chuck an Exp. Share on a Pokémon, and battle a high-levelled Trainer with your favourite battling Pokémon - it's easier. It might be slightly slower, but in the end, it's more fun and less of a chore. And you'll still end up gaining a lot of experience.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Exp Share is good, but I don't use it on Gym Leaders, only Trainers and Wild Pokemon....

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
  • When I played through B/W I never actually needed to grind.

I felt that the way they set up the trainers and wild pokemon was that I would almost always be the same level as the trainers I was facing, which actually added a slight bit of challenge.

The way I trained through the game was like this:
    Pokemon would be ordered in the way I obtained them. Once my first pokemon reached say level 25, he would go to the bottom of the list until every other pokemon on my team, in order, reached the same level.

I found that my way made my team balanced and also made it easier for me to pull off wins. The only time I was actually over leveled is early on when most of my team members were not on my team.

I never used the Lucky Egg and by the time I reached the Elite Four all of my pokemon were around 45. The only time I used the lucky egg was after the Elite Four, and that was only to gain levels faster against the limited amount of trainers there were.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I found it very slow and tedious to train my Pokemon in Pokemon Black and White.

Especially for my Hall of Fame challenge where I am pretty much forced to battle wild Audino to train. It would be a lot better if there were more things to train on then wild Audino, the E4, Cynthia and that Game Freak guy. Well maybe in the 3rd version we might get something more useful for training.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    My strategy in Pokémon games used to be horrible, to be honest, but the new games corrected my game play in the way that I wasn't just training my first Pokémon, but developing a party that I could use throughout the game. I did require some training before the Elite Four, though. The after that, the only time you'll really have to have to train is before the level jump on the right side of Unova, because the Pokémon jump about 10 levels D:. Though if you can defeat them, the new Exp system kicks in, allowing you to be some match against them and jumping a few levels, though I myself haven't reached this quite yet.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    the Lucky Egg helps once you get it at Electric Rock Cave

level up 2 pokemon with that and Exp. Share, then switch the Exp Share around and let another pokemon hold the lucky Egg to battle until your team is at a decent level

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, I found it to be perfectly alright, provided you just play through the game without messing around much, just like my first runthrough.

However, this time, I was constantly over-levelled up until the 8th gym (well, actually up until the battle with Bianca before Tubeline Bridge, where she was, amazingly, stronger than me), and so I'd been using Exp. Share to raise random pokémon a lot and restrict my growth. But now I'm underlevelled for the Elite Four!

So, overall I think it's fine. Although that thing about higher-levelled pokémon getting less experience is really annoying.

Back