• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Exp. Share overpowered?

Exoaria

such pokemon wow
Years
  • Who else feels a little weird about the exp. share in X/Y? It's bothering me how early I got it, how it doesn't divide experience and simply creates a lump sum for your whole team. I'm effectively 1-shotting everything with every Pokemon in my team. I want to turn it off, but it's quite useful, and I don't know why Game Freak added it in... or at least didn't made the enemies stronger to compensate for it because it's making everything too easy.

Am I the only one that feels this way? The original Gen 1 games did something similar with the EXP. ALL but you could only get that half way through once you'd caught enough Pokemon, and that just divided the experience that was already there.

Years
  • What is does is gives 50% of the exp to everyone in your party who wasn't out during the fight. It could be a bit OP, I guess we'll see. It does make levelling up easier though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2013
    you can allway shut it off. in pokemon battle online your pokemon get set to level 50 anyways when you battle somone

Years
  • It feels cheep to me too. I have pokemon leveling up that I haven't even used before.
    It is giving way to much xp to the pokemon who didn't battle and not taking enough away from the one that did battle.
    I want to turn it off, but I just can't quite bring myself to do it!

Years
  • Actually, it doesn't take away anything from the main pokemon who battled. In this generation, the main pokemon who battled, gets 100% (so does anyone else who enters the battle), then each pokemon on your team gets 50% of the experience value. So if the pokemon you defeated gave 100 exp points to the main pokemon who battled, each of your other pokemon get 50 exp each.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Yeah, I hate it. I was using it for a bit while I was training up weaker members of my party, but it ruins the game by quickly over leveling your other Pokemon.

Years
  • I don't really mind this at all, to be honest.. it keeps the Pokémon in your party evenly leveled, which is fair enough, in my opinion, though I wish it would tell you how much experience the other Pokémon in your party received as well, unless it's the same as the battling Pokémon.

GaryFreakingOak

8 badges in Kanto? I got 10.
    Years
  • Sooo just to understand how this works...100% for the pokemon in battle and 50% for everyone else.

Does this mean you effectively get 350% of the experience you would normally get??? Assuming a 6 member team

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am not going to be using it at all. I have never used EXP Share and and makes the game go by too quick.

I am also one of those people who like having the teams at about the same level, but I plan to train like you are suppose to do.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    It's basically an excuse for you to shuffle your team, considering the variety and abundance of the Pokemon available. That's what I'm doing, constantly change Pokemon in my team. It allows me to use different pokemon without grinding which I really appreciate.

I can see why it's overpowered if you're using the same team throughout - but really, if you're doing that, you're boring.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    Does exp share give EVs to all your Pokemon, too? I think that's another factor take into account.

GaryFreakingOak

8 badges in Kanto? I got 10.
    Years
  • Hmm...maybe this could be used for a challenge. Perhaps you can only use a certain pokemon for, say, 3 or 4 gyms. However, no grinding on wild pokemon allowed. Challenge accepted!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Grinding was such a bother in previous Pokémon games that I don't mind EXP Share's functionality in X/Y in the slightest. If it feels too cheap later, I'll turn it off, but for now I'm loving it because it's let me try training a whole bunch of different Pokémon so far without feeling like I'm wasting time and experience by testing them out.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I'm too used to other RPG's having leaked experience that I honestly don't mind it at all. It might seem cheap, but it's a way to make the game "less boring" by saving you hours of grinding. It's not the best option if you want to professionally train a pokémon because IVs/EVs but if you want to keep a balanced team without spending hours just killing everything in sight with every member in your team until they all have the same level, it does save a million hours of boredom. I welcome it, and, as it's the case with all the things Nintendo tends to do to make the games easier: you can turn it off if it seems "too game-breaking for you".

Years
  • I'm thankful for it, I like my Pokemon to be around the same level and this helps a lot. Saves on tedious grinding as well.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2014
    im not going to be using EXP Share cause I like to have one lower level pokemon in my party for battling to capture wild pokemon, and the exp share will ruin that, IMO

Back