• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Exp. Share overpowered?

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
  • Yeah, it feels like cheating to me, even though I know it's not.

Keeping my team of six at equal levels has always been a challenge that I have enjoyed, and it has also added lots of playtime onto the game. I have it on right now, but I want to turn it off because I know it's going to sap hours from the game for me.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I turned it off, but now i have a question:
    Does everone in the party get 50% of the EXP, or is that 50% divided onto the whole team?
    I posted a new thread with this analysis over here.

Here's an interesting sidebar. Even without the Exp. Share, the experience gained by all battling Pokémon is what it would be if they battled alone in prior generations. Oh, and should I note that the experience leveling in Unova is gone? Experience is a constant again.

Given the many Pokémon findable on each Route, it's now quick to level them all up once you have them. It's also easy to level up everyone else. Don't want someone leveled up for later Pokémon nabbing? Don't put it in your party.

EV training is also a cinch, since you can take any Lv.80 Pokémon and battle various opponents while having five EV training Pokémon of any level behind it. Easy to run from battles you don't want EVs from. Once we figure out all the EVs from each Pokémon, EV training will be easier than it ever was.

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
  • I love the Exp. Share, I always used 12 pokemons in my play-through and it's time consuming training them all. Now it makes having reserve, I like the new exp share, it lets people be able to train wider range of pokemon instead of just training just 6 main pokemon.

Considering we have 3 pokedex and almost 450 pokemons pre-national dex, it gives players a wider range of Pokemon to play around and build a team easily. And I really don't get how they made it "easy", grinding was never hard it was time consuming.

Years
  • it is op because it makes battling wild Pokemon practically pointless its hard not to be over leveled just fighting trainers. it wouldn't be so bad except you get in so early in the game. Im pretty sure they give it to you so early as part of the whole speeding up the beginning of the game however unless your constantly changing team members by end game your pokes will be able to just sweep because of how over leveled they will be from it.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • Anyone else remember the Exp. All?

The Exp. Share function is OP, but I love it. That way, I can spend more time on the game itself than having to spent countless hours grinding. It's especially handy when you're doing challenges like Nuzlockes.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • I do not think it is over powered I thin k it is helpful for people like me who likes to evole each pokemon from each route before go on to the next area.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Before I say anything I would like to note that Exp. Share can be turned off. Just go to the bag, choose it, and select Off. If you want to play without it then go ahead and do this and it'll be like it doesn't even exist.

Now then...It's alright. For a while I thought my team was pretty overleveled thanks to it, but then the game caught up to me and now I'm at roughly the same level as enemy trainers. It'll definitely come in handy in the post-game when I start training things for fun. I always hated the hold item Exp. Share because I'd forget to take it off my Pokemon before putting them in the box and I'd waste that little bit of extra time having to go in and get it. Not to mention this has been giving my Wartortle lots of experience, which is great since I haven't used it in battle much.

Hatsuharu

☆ princess of despair ☆
    Years
  • I don't think it's that OP- at least not from what I've gathered so far. I'm about at the second gym, and I'd believe even the EXP Share's boost would still take leveling when your pokemon are level 40+ a while.

I'm not sure, though- I may turn it off in time, but for right now I simply love its mechanic.

Years
  • I turned it off as soon as I got it. I play Pokemon games in a certain way; switching Pokemon around in my party to make sure they're all the same level. I feel that the Exp. Share in X and Y would take away that aspect by levelling my team for me... so I'm not a fan. I'll use it after beating the game to train up Pokemon to fill up the Pokedex... but I would have preferred the old Exp. Share.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2013
    Def OP..

It keeps pushing me up to 10 lvl difference I find hard to catch pokemons instead of just one shotting them. It's going so bad that I actually have to put weaker types on matchups and still worry about 1 shotting if I have S class monsters.

Good for powerlvling and clearing I guess.. but I'm proceeding just too fast.

Years
  • I thought the same at first, but the foe trainers seem to have high enough levels to match what I have so it seems balanced out. It'll be great post-E4 too.

Having played for a few more hours, I retract this comment. It's very OP, I have beaten the third and fourth gyms without taking any damage.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • It does help that considering I am unable to use certain Pokemon in certain battle/ Gym. Those weak against the type can gain some experiences which helps keep my Pokemons' levels balanced.

I do agree that it is kind of overpowered this generation, though.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I haven't used it, koff~

I thought it ringed perfectly in sync with the original experience share in the first games. All Pokemon would receive experience as long as you had it in your inventory. I think they gave it out a bit too soon though. I'm also not sure if it effects the EVs in any way, so I'd keep my eye on it if I was you. There is lots for me to do and capture, so I haven't quite felt the need to use it, as I'm doing my own little private challenge, koffi~

Years
  • I really like it because it helps me keep all of my pokemon at the same level how I like them, without it being overly time consuming. It gives me more time to enjoy Amie and Super training. I've turned it off a few times because one Pokemon would be getting ahead because it was on, but when I get everyone back at the same level I switch it back on.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • No offense, but using it to level Pokémon for the Dex makes the first half of your statement worthless. I did it the hard way with all 649 in Black. Barring legendaries that need to be imported (and will), I can do it again. I will use this tool, however, as it saves me hours of grinding.

I don't want to rush through going through the main game with my team of six so it's staying off and I can level them up individually. However, like I did in the past, I use exp. share to complete the Pokedex. How does that not make sense?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I turned it off as soon as I got it. I play Pokemon games in a certain way; switching Pokemon around in my party to make sure they're all the same level. I feel that the Exp. Share in X and Y would take away that aspect by levelling my team for me... so I'm not a fan. I'll use it after beating the game to train up Pokemon to fill up the Pokedex... but I would have preferred the old Exp. Share.
    Then do as I do. To get everyone to the same level, use the Exp. Share until one of the Pokémon in your party (perhaps the leader, but you can watch for level gains from others aside from your leader too) reaches the target level, head to the Pokémon Center and swap for a lower-level Pokémon, and continue without missing a beat. Problem solved.

I do agree with other comments that it may be over-powered (I'll know by the E4), and that we got it way too early for the power it has. The over-powered comment would be retracted if we got it after, say, the 6th Gym. I think Nintendo was more eager to show off their Mega Evolution and wanted to ensure we didn't miss out on any combinations.

bobpickle

Beginner Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    I actually love the way they gave the EXP share in X/Y. I always catch loads of pokemon and find raising them all up to the same level kind of tedious. The EXP share helps a lot! The fact that you can turn it off solves the problem of people not liking it of course. But I find it makes a big difference.

What are the logistics of it all. Does each pokemon get the EV's as well?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2013
    I actually love the way they gave the EXP share in X/Y. I always catch loads of pokemon and find raising them all up to the same level kind of tedious. The EXP share helps a lot! The fact that you can turn it off solves the problem of people not liking it of course. But I find it makes a big difference.

What are the logistics of it all. Does each pokemon get the EV's as well?

go to super training that the EV training

Back