• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Exp. Share overpowered?

Sir Codin

It certainly shaves off hours of grinding, which in my book is just fantastic.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Overpowered for what?

Why does it matter if a Pokemon game is easy? What difference does it make?
    It doesn't make the game any easier, all it does is save time. Before, if you grind just a bit, everything was easy. The most challenging part was trying to make everyone's level equally balanced, on top of that was how limited the choices of the Pokemon you can train and encourage you to keep a consistent team throughout, especially if you value time. This addition is an excuse to finally use more than just 6 Pokemon.

In the same way, Nuzlocke doesn't make the games harder. (unless you go for the additional rules) If you play it safe and grind, big chances are everything will be even easier than ever. It's a fake difficulty...hell it's not "difficulty", it's tedium. The same way hard mode in B/W2 wasn't hard at all if you grind.

I don't get what you guys like about grinding, but I sure as hell don't. Pokemon has never been hard and it never will, so I don't know why you're all so worried about "difficulty". That word is, frankly, meaningless in the case of games like Pokemon.
    In fact, the rare cases where it is hard (looking at you, gen 2), it is utterly and stupidly frustrating because of the imbalance and amount of grinding you have to do. This? All this does is save time and tedious work, and it helps the game's pacing immensely.

And what does difficulty do? Mario games never have been difficult, yet they are the most fun games available. The hard parts are available after you beat the game. It is, similarly, the case for Pokemon as well. And even before that, if the game is designed well (which X/Y surprisingly is!), then you can have a lot of fun regardless if it's easy. So why does it matter if it's "difficult" or not? If it's still fun, that should be the least of your concerns.

Now I like to ask a question to the people who turned it off.
    How do you find the game? Still easy? Well, there you go.

Munchlax11

Munch?
    Years
    • Age 26
    • USA
    • Seen Feb 15, 2014
    I boxed my Blaziken because it got way too OP because of the boosted exp. I like this feature. Just make trainer pokemon more highly leveled. Problem solved. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    Not of fan of grinding and don't really have the time to grind like crazy, so the option is very much appreciated. It's also nice to be able to turn it off when you want to focus on a Pokemon for certain EVs. And for folks who want more of challenge, they can turn it off as well. Win-win for everyone. :)

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
    Years
  • It's insane OP I'm at the last badge now and I have an entire 5 man team that's all level 60 meanwhile the trainers are using level 45 Pokemon... I'm utterly wrecking them with non effective moves in one hit... after I beat it I'm going to restart and do a ghost/dark run but I'm going to make sure I never use the exp share thing again.

Roh

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2014
    I'll admit I'm monstrously over-leveled (45-50 range right now, and I'm not even at the third gym yet) and thanks to Super Training, my Tyrantrum has an attack of 160+ and growing. I don't mind though, 'cause I have a rule that I need to gain ten levels between each gym leader, so it's a lot less ridiculous grinding.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Overpowered for what?

Why does it matter if a Pokemon game is easy? What difference does it make?
    Now I like to ask a question to the people who turned it off.
    How do you find the game? Still easy? Well, there you go.

It would have been fine if the exp share was given much later in the game. Being able to use it right from the start of the game and the fact that it just gives bonus exp to everyone in your party just feels too cheap, the sort of "hand-holding" nintendo has been introducing more and more with every gen (now its much easier to EV train+free lucario etc.). Its a matter of principle.

Where is the sense of exploration? Nowadays legendaries are simply given to you on a silver platter and you don't need to bother to find them in the first place (think regis).

The AI and opponent's teams/movepools are still bad in general, you can still find ways to beat them even if you are slightly underleveled. Now that everyone is easily overleveled its laughable.
    If they have put more thought into improving the challenge in the game rather than just giving out freebies it would be great.

Years
  • Yeah, this Exp. Share turns the game into a big rampage-fest. I had six Pokémon when I reached the Grass-type Gym Leader, and four of them were at LEAST Level 36. Not to mention I slammed the Fighting-type Gym Leader in three turns with my Crobat's Acrobatics. xP

If I do some challenge, I can be assured I won't have it on the whole time.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm quite happy with how early they've given you the Exp. Share, to be honest. It helped me to keep all of my Pokémon balanced—none of them were at a higher level than the other. It also gave you the chance to catch up your weaker team members, without having them switch in and out of battles constantly. Thanks to this item, I was able to evolve nearly all of my Pokémon to their last stage by the time I had reached the fifth gym.

Experience Share does make it a little easier to train your Pokémon, but if you feel that it is too easy, then you could always have the item turned off. All you have to do is go to the key items menu, select Exp. Share, and hit the trigger. It only takes a few seconds. :)

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • I find it like an overpowered Exp All.
    I'm not even rotating my six Pokemon party because everyone's leveling up so much without even engaging in battle.

This is definitely a small slip-up imo

Emfg

Ohlong
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2023
    you can allway shut it off. in pokemon battle online your pokemon get set to level 50 anyways when you battle somone
    But when you turn it off, you get the feeling you're not playing efficiently. You can't give someone a 1000 bucks and not expect them to use it.

It would've been cooler if they have the exp share as a reward after you get a certain amount of pokemon in your pokedex.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Definitely. They are going to have to fix this in the future. I think this item would be wonderful after the Elite 4, but so early in the game? It's incredibly OP. It need to be like 1/4 of HP or something. All my Pokemon have been 5-10 levels up on the trainers and gym leaders have been a breeze.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    It would have been fine if the exp share was given much later in the game. Being able to use it right from the start of the game and the fact that it just gives bonus exp to everyone in your party just feels too cheap, the sort of "hand-holding" nintendo has been introducing more and more with every gen (now its much easier to EV train+free lucario etc.). Its a matter of principle.
    This isn't hand-holding at all, it's an option. Hand-holding is when a game just downright helps you and tells you exactly what to do. (See: Luigi's Mansion 2 with E-Gadd's forced calls, Skyward Sword with Fi) I am not gonna deny X/Y does have some hand-holding, but it's only just telling the player where to go for the main campaign.

Saying EXP.Share or a freebie Lucario (which I didn't use, nor any of my friends did) is hand-holding is kinda like saying "super play" in New Super Mario/Donkey Kong Country is hand-holding. Super Play is just a way to let people who are bad at platformers still have fun with the games, but it's an option that you only get if you die in a level a lot. A veteran like me would ignore it, but I never complained about it being OP. In fact, I love the addition of that, it lets players experience the whole game without the risk of getting stuck in a hard level. It's similar with EXP.Share, but it has two functions: Helps people who are new to Pokemon or kids so they don't have to worry about being overwhelmed, or helps people who absolutely have no time for grinding or hate it.

Freebie Lucario is fan pandering anyway. Is freebie Lapras handholding too? (And yes, it's pretty damn good in-game.)

Where is the sense of exploration? Nowadays legendaries are simply given to you on a silver platter and you don't need to bother to find them in the first place (think regis).
    I don't know what you're talking about, personally. X/Y is the first game to give me any sense of exploration since R/S. The region is big and well-designed and the variety is endless. The only legendaries (event ones aside) that you can easily miss even after looking through every nook and cranny are the Regis anyway, and I guess Rayquaza and Mewtwo if you were like me.

The AI and opponent's teams/movepools are still bad in general, you can still find ways to beat them even if you are slightly underleveled.
    Exactly! And the one time it is ever hard is when the level difference is huge which ends up more annoying than fun.
    If they have put more thought into improving the challenge in the game rather than just giving out freebies it would be great.
    I disagree. I don't see any point in making the games more challenging, since Pokemon was never designed around that. Making the A.I any smarter and giving them better team will easily overwhelm people who are new and kids. The challenge was always after the Elite 4. (or sometimes the E4 themselves, for some people I guess.)

Personally I'd like a hard mode, but if B/W2 is anything to go by, it'll STILL be easy. lol

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • ^ i couldnt agree with this more. I dont get why people hate on certain aspects of the game just because they dont like it. So there is a free lucario, so what? Dont like him? Dont use him, thats it! Think the EXP share makes the game too easy and your pokemon are quickly overpowered? Turn the thing OFF, problem solved!
    People seem to forget its still a game designed towards children...

You really looking for a challenge? There is the PSS, look for someone with a decent team, set levels, there you go.

And about the topic, the EXP is not OP, its just a free XP for your team members. Great for people who hate grinding (like me) or to train up a pokemon you just caught.

X-Calem

Savior of a Broken World
    Years
    • SG
    • Seen Oct 27, 2014
    If you think about it, while it may ruin the experience for the story, everybody playing Pokemon X/Y has the same advantage, making battling passersby a lot more...interesting.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • And about the topic, the EXP is not OP, its just a free XP for your team members. Great for people who hate grinding (like me) or to train up a pokemon you just caught.

So why play the game if you "hate" training a Pokemon you just caught?
    I'm gonna be twenty levels higher than the gym leader; I only have one badge.
    I'd say it's overpowered.

I'd turn it off, but now I'm addicted to it :(

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I do feel it's a bit OP, yes. I was quite overleveled throughout most of the game, and if I ever caught a new Pokémon who was underleveled I had to turn off the item just so that the level gaps would close. The fact that it's optional makes it better, but not by much. In the end it comes down to how easy you think training should be, and I honestly don't think it should be this easy. I have never swept the Elite Four and Champion so easily.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • doraemonz

Beyond 9 ~*
    Years
  • I have a feeling that the game has gotten a little bit easier. I wasnt expecting the
    elite 4 and champion to go down THAT easy despite being the same level and everything...

Back