• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Exp. Share overpowered?

幕之内 一歩

<b><font color=
Years
  • I had to start the game over after I beat the Elite Four using the exp share. It felt like a cheap win. It's ridiculous. Plus you get it after the first Gym? C'mon now.

Whatever happened to just giving it to a weaker Pokemon to get them up to snuff then good ol'fashion battling to level them properly?

Sometimes I miss the old days of Red and Blue.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Never used it troughout the game and my pokemon's level were still higher than the champion's pokemon. Also the wild level pokemon are too high compared to the trainers. Seriously lvl 58-60 wild pokemon at victory road while the Champion highest lvl is 68? And I actually liked it better when the elite four order was not optional but that you needed to go trough a line. Wich Ranked the Elite four. I remember the good old days were the first elite four member had around the same lvl pokemon as you and that the champion had like +10 lvl xD.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I actually found it useful. In previous games, I've always had to use an action replay to get my pokemon a few levels higher than even the gym leaders. Even now, I started playing Soul Silver recently, and I've noticed how difficult it is to level and grind all my pokemon to higher levels. The EXP share has made that easier for me in Pokemon XY, but I do get the point of XY being too easy.

Then again, I'm not complaining. I was proud of myself when I was able to beat the Elite Four & Champion for the first time in Pokemon game history. XD

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    I hate it. Sure it's convenient, but you won't get that super accomplished feeling when you get your first Pokemon to level 100, because that Pokemon could basically sit on your team doing nothing at all and it, along with 4 other Pokemon on hold, would get an amount of experience points for the work of another Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I reckon it should have been an item that was given to you later in the game, not from the (almost) beginning. It would be useful for training a team of Pokémon if you've finished out the game. It would also become easier to evolve multiple Pokémon and also EV train a bunch of similar Pokémon at once. However, I would have rathered that there was a normal EXP. Share item from the beginning, that worked in the traditional sense. I found myself using my team a lot less, and just using one Pokémon to sweep, and carry. It's a pity that the standard version of the item wasn't able to be used, but at least you had the ability to turn it off.

I feel that if GameFreak gave it the "traditional" option, on top of the new one, but allowed it to be upgraded to the "train your whole team" version, perhaps after your 7th badge, there would be a lot less to complain about. Though I think the intention was to make things feel more streamlined, and have trainers spend less time wandering about the grass.

Yesiamsteve

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    Exp share has made the game a lot easier.. Still good fun though :) won't help you in late levels battles online though ;)

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2014
    I already beat the game without the use of exp share, so I did another playthrough with it turned on. So far ive been a few levels higher then the current gym leader, but tbh I like not having to grind nearly as much as I would have to, and makes me feel that I can train more pokemon then usual.

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    i absolutely love the new exp share.. takes away most of the grind part and makes me focus on the more "fun" aspects of the game :)

EB

Re: World
    Years
  • It's probably already been mentioned, but everyone knows a Pokémon without EVs is rather weak. The Exp. Share this gen acts like a slow-working Rare Candy, which helps newer players out if they're unsure about which particular way to balance their battle exp.

The raw stat numbers is where things get interesting. While the Exp. Share helps keep the party's levels rather even, it doesn't distribute any EVs unless a Pokémon participates in the fight. Newer players get a much needed set of training wheels, but unless they learn to shuffle their first slot, many EVs will go to waste, thus weakening their team overall.

Last edited:

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • I'm keeping it turned off for my story team. But whenever I'm playing around with my older generation Pokemon, I turn it on so I can quickly train the level 1 mons I got from Wonder Trade. It's really a good option for post game, where you want to train lots of Pokemon to level 100, but it's for the best to keep it off during story play.

Really, the game is too easy even without Exp. Share. Like, despite being 6 levels lower than Grant's Pokemon, I easily defeated him with Honedge (Shadow Slash spam) and Braixen. If my Pokemon were at his level, the battle would have been way too easy.

Years
  • The Exp. Share makes the game way too easy. I have it turned off. They should have made it like in previous games, where you give it to one Pokémon to hold and only that one gets shared exp. Grinding is a crucial part of Pokémon. It feel guilty to not have to do it!

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
  • For me, whenever I played Red, Blue or Fire Red, the worst part of the game for me was always having to grind before Cerulean Gym. I often started a new game and got turned off instantly by this. This version of Exp. Share means that there is no grinding, just battling trainers, which for me is more fun.

I can understand why it is seen as overpowered, but as a lazy grinder, it suits me perfectly!

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    It is OP but its nice to finally be able to battle gyms and the E4 without my team being drastically under leveled.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I use it to level up lower level pokemon until they are strong enough to battle on their own rather than putting them in first place then switching them out when the battle starts. Also, in certain instances such as capturing 4 Burmy in order to get Mothim and all 3 Wormadam forms but since all 4 of them only know protect it's just easier to level them up until they start learning attacks.

Years
  • Exp Share really made all of my Pokemon overpowered. If third version or sequel comes out, I'll probably disable it to challenge myself.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2013
    I had it turned on for a short time before I decided it wasn't preferable since the experience distribution seemed way too generous for my liking. I'm more used to the older game mechanics of the series, and I want my pokemon to gain most of their experience the old fashioned way by having them actively out in battle. I like them to be more or less around the same levels as those of the gym leaders whenever I challenge them; having too many levels above your rivals' pokemon means you're just grossly overpowered and it would make gameplay all too easy. There's an increased sense of accomplishment when you are able to defeat your opponents based on strategy more so than just simply having pokemon 10 or more levels above theirs.

The only time I turn on Exp. Share is when I'm trying to power level a newly hatched or much lower level pokemon, and it reduces the time and effort of tedious grinding.

Years
  • I like it. Easier in the post-game to level Pokémon up for Dex completion, and I was only OP between gyms 2-5, I felt like after gym 6, even with EXP share on, I was more on the same level (although that may have been due to avoiding trainer battles so I wasn't over-levelled).

shadowdueler474

Muffins for all!
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2014
    I like the EXP Share, it really makes grinding so much easier. Though it is OP. The game isn't scaled in a way to handle how powerful the EXP Share will make a consistent team.

@G_Sylar I believe EVs are shared. Since leveling up my team in the Elite 4 pokemon that were never sent into battle had their EVs maxed when I was done grinding.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Here's something to think about, koff~

For those who don't have all the time in the world, it's great. You can even turn it off, so what is there to complain about? I despise Magnezone and Rhyperior. Complain about those things instead. Rhyperior. . . really? It looks like a bacon wrapped turd, koffi~

Back