• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Experience Share

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In X and Y, we've seen the introduction of a new EXP. Share, which would spread experience evenly to each member of your every time you defeated an opposing Pokémon. In previous gens, though, this was only a held item, and would allow you to share experience with only one Pokémon. What are your thoughts on this change? Do you like it, or do you not like it? If not, then why don't you? Discuss, guys. d:

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Since Gen I I've been wanting this item to return, and I'm glad that it finally has! However, I would have preferred to have both kinds available (i.e. have Exp. All as a key item which can be turned on or off, and Exp. Share as a hold item). Also, the new mechanic for Exp. Share is pretty broken in my opinion... It would have been better to use the Gen I mechanic.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    On one hand, I loved that it made keeping everyone around the same level a lot easier and a lot less tedious. I also love using it post-game for filling the national dex - sometimes it's just faster to evolve them with a quick run-through of the BC than it is to wait on a trade. It's also made EV training much faster and easier, which is a nice bonus when you really don't have the spare time to do that through the other methods. Even Super Training is too slow in comparison.

On the other hand, I turned it off a few times while I was playing through the game because it felt like I was never using my other Pokemon. Frankly, Charizard handled most of the battles, and then I only ever used Meowstic when I got her.

Lihtal

Castle Guard
    Years
  • I think it has its good use and its bad use, for example during the main play most of the time it was off but when i got to the fairy gym i knew my garchomp was kinda useless so i turned it on so it could gain exp. now in the post game it makes EV training with hordes WAY easier. So normal play its broken, but post game its a wonder!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Anything that makes grinding easier is welcomed by me, so I like the new Exp. Share.

Also, I never got why people complained about it being broken when 1) Pokémon's main story has never been all that hard, except for a few battles (or if you do a challenge run) and 2) you don't have to use it, you can turn it on/off whenever you want.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I really like how easy it was to train your Pokes thanks to the new EXP. although it is a little bit overpowered tbh. I would have liked to have the old XP Share as well, in case you want to train just one Pokemon without the rest of your Party getting extremely overleveled!

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • I used to hate it. Now I'm on the fence. For Pokemon you've caught yourself, it's very helpful in leveling everyone at the same time (except sometimes, things overlevel - my Espeon was Level 85 whereas everyone else was high 70s).

The difficulty I'm finding is that in the beginning of the game, upwards of Level 30, there aren't enough badges to permit using traded Pokemon. Without the third badge, my Scyther, Vivillon and Larvesta were on the verge of not listening to me. I had to therefore turn it off, else box them if I was leveling a different Pokemon. (At that time, I just bred an Adamant Venipede and needed EXP share on to level it from Level 1 to Level 30+). If the game introduced the second and third badges sooner, it wouldn't be such an issue; however, you're very limited at the beginning if your Pokemon happen to be traded. It's only useful again after the fourth badge where Pokemon up to Level 60 obey. That's a huge frame considering the gym is Level 35ish and my Pokemon were low-end 40s at the time. I don't think going forward I should have any further issues with it.

I'm also not so sure about how leveling is now. I've never managed to get Pokemon to Level 100 before (I'd always stop at end-game, around Level 50-70). It's a bit shocking to see how easy it was; even unrewarding.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • The problem with the new Exp. Share is that there's no reason not to use it during the story since the lead Pokémon doesn't get any less exp unlike the Exp. All of 1st gen. It made the game way too easy. Vs. Seeker and Audino grinding were better ways to help leveling IMO.

This could be fixed by increasing the level curve, making it mandatory to use the item to have any success in the game.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It does make certain Pokémon overlevelled which can make the game much easier, but it takes the strain of grinding for sure. It has both pros and cons tbh.

Years
  • I didn't like it since it made things waaaay too easy. Didn't use it when I first got it but then tried it out later and ended up getting way overleveled without any effort so I turned it back off.

No plans to use it in the future. Maybe if I buy Y and want to rush to postgame for whatever reasons but otherwise no. 8'(

Candyspider

The cotton candy archanid
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    I agree with what many are saying, that the actual gameplay was never really that hard. I did feel bad after curb stomping Calem the third time, but maybe he should get his own exp share. Not worrying about grinding allowed me to enjoy a lot of other aspects of the game.

Years
  • I kinda was on and off with this thing throughout my first playthrough of X, at points I was pretty overleveled (I know I had a Level 28 Crobat before the second Gym, for one), but when I was at the league my levels were basically at theirs.

As for the item as a whole, it does make grinding easier, but I would have liked if they had the old Exp. Share as well to give to individual team members.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    For completing the PokeDex, Exp. Share was pretty much godsend. Leveling up five different 'mons at the same time becomes incredibly easy. Story mode could've done without it though. Maybe have it as a post-game item?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I turned it off during my adventure because I've read that it made the game too easy. I only turned it on during gym leader battles. :P

Anyway, as to what my thoughts for this change is, I like it and don't like it at the same time. Obvious reason why I don't like it is that it made the game easy. =/ Reason why I like it is because it makes leveling new PKMN easier. :3

arinceo

Eat, Sleep, Pokemon
    Years
  • I think the EXP share was a good idea. Rather than spending time grinding we get the chance to enjoy the story and features of the game a lot more.

Years
  • I used the EXP Share during my playthrough, and I'm currently still using it to grind up my weaklings while my big guns do all the work. It's win-win basically, and I'm kinda sad people are bashing on it just because they claimed it takes the challenge out of the game, but hey you can turn it off if you still don't want to be overleveled.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I really like the new Exp. Share. Whenever I play through HeartGold I usually end up with one very high level Pokémon and a bunch of HM mules; I never go out of my way to grind a Pokémon (I don't think grinding is fun nor does it add difficulty). In BW/BW2 I could have a balanced team of 6 but it required a lot of micromanagement with the Exp. Share. Now in XY, I can constantly swap out Pokémon and keep my team fresh and interesting while keeping up with the level curve. I think the new Exp. Share allows for a lot of freedom with your team and doesn't make the game less challenging. It's wonderful!

The amie buffs are what's OP, lol.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Eventhough I like the idea and all, I actually never use mine because I thinl training and raising your Pokemon in Gen.6 are made easy enough :) For example, you really get an experience boost from hordes and in general, there are lots of wild Pokemon and trainers to encounter and ofcourse, the Battle Chateau thingy on route 7 ;)

So I like the idea, but Im good :3

Back