• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Facebook's Real Name Policy: A Danger to Internet Privacy?

Zeffy

g'day
Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    They had that rule? I never knew, my friends name on Facebook isn't his real name. Its something like Hey You. xD

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    ...So?
    It's not like it matters. What's the difference with putting your real name on the internet where strangers can see it and telling it random strangers in the street?
    I Robert James Hannan do not mind stating my full name on the intertubes.
    My Username on most websites is Hannan100, which is my surname anyway. Of course on a couple it's Dark Noo Noo, but that's not the point.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I'm not seeing a big deal either. Granted, I don't want PC members stalking me and finding me, unless we've agreed to add each other on there, but even still, I want people I actually know in real life to be able to find me. MySpace was annoying with the fact that people would have the most obnoxious names ever like "Scissorhand Scott" or "Diabolical Daniel" or "PoOkiE-BeAr BBY<33!!!~~" You get me. And you would never be able to find people you actually want to talk to on Facebook if they didn't require your actual name. They even state that that's the purpose of the real name requirement, because no one wants to see "MrS. TuERkE LOVES heR HUBBY!!!<3" posting updates all the time.
    My thoughts exactly.

MySpace was annoying having to find friends, yet only come up with nothing in the end, because they are using some weird or ever-so-long username, that it's near impossible to find them with millions of users on the site. Facebook makes this a whole lot easier, and in return has allowed some of my friends that I haven't talked to in years find me on there.

Even for myself, I don't recall using my full name on Facebook. I just put my nickname and last name since most people I know, know me by that. It isn't required for you to put you actual name in there. If you feel uncomfortable with it, and want to be more private about yourself, then use a nickname that most of the friends you have know you by.

That said, this is great for OC, but is actually more suited for Life, The Universe, and Everything. So...moving!

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I don't get the big deal... If you don't put your profile to privacy that's your own fault. :< Plus what's the big deal anyways? Also some of my friends have fake names.... So I don't get this at all. Lol.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • ...Well, isn't Facebook for connecting to real life friends ? I think there aren't that many people connecting with their internet pals. And if they do so, then what's the problem with sharing their name ?

Also, I could link my FB account here. You'd be flooded by Romanian and wouldn't understand anything, including names.

The point : I'm not bothered.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

My thoughts exactly.

MySpace was annoying having to find friends, yet only come up with nothing in the end, because they are using some weird or ever-so-long username, that it's near impossible to find them with millions of users on the site. Facebook makes this a whole lot easier, and in return has allowed some of my friends that I haven't talked to in years find me on there.

Even for myself, I don't recall using my full name on Facebook. I just put my nickname and last name since most people I know, know me by that. It isn't required for you to put you actual name in there. If you feel uncomfortable with it, and want to be more private about yourself, then use a nickname that most of the friends you have know you by.

That said, this is great for OC, but is actually more suited for Life, The Universe, and Everything. So...moving!

On MySpace, your screen name is different from the name you're listed under in searches; unless you make it the same thing. One could have whatever they want as their display name, yet still be listed under their real name for the purpose of searches; and many people referred friends to their MySpace page by looking up their e-mail address or profile URL. Yes, you can try and fake a name on Facebook, but their automatic filters make it frustrating to come up with a good one. Their official policy is that you must use your real name, but people do find ways around that.

I don't get the big deal... If you don't put your profile to privacy that's your own fault. :< Plus what's the big deal anyways? Also some of my friends have fake names.... So I don't get this at all. Lol.

Setting your profile to private doesn't stop people from seeing your name or profile picture.

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
  • I've never had a problem displaying my real full name. In fact, I even threw in my middle name. But I have everything set on private so "friends only" can see anything I put on there, so I control who does and doesn't see my stuff.
    I'm not a very paranoid or privacy-oriented person though.

My cousin has her name on Facebook as "Maiden Sacrifice."
    Obviously, that's not her real name.

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
    Years
  • It actually has always annoyed me that so many people freak out about using they're real names anywhere on the internet. Especially if they refuse to even say they're first name. Will any "creepers" REALLY be able to track you down by mentioning that your name is "Michael"? I mean really? It's extremely difficult to track someone down even with your full name. Think about it, you're most likely going to find other people with the same name as yours and it's not like you can plug a name in a search and find an address.

And really, who would care enough to track you down? Everyone freaking out about it is probably a nobody teenager in some random small town. If you're worried about the anon, don't. Just don't be an idiot and do something so horrendous that the anon decide to strike.

Using your real name on Facebook isn't going to cause random people to hunt you down for no reason, and it's not like having a Facebook means you have to put up all your information. Like I personally don't have my phone number up on FB, I just don't want random prank texts or calls from people.

Back