• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Famicom aka. Nintendo Entertainment System (NES™) Discussion Thread

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
If you want a NES try looking for them in thrift stores/goodwill/swapmeet(flear market).I found all my stuff from there since my original consoles were stolen as a kid...bad neighborhoods lol But i sure did enjoy the old stuff, maybe one day i will beat mike tyson or beat ninja gaiden lol

Wow, Ninja Gaiden is a pretty lofty goal haha. And the area I'm in doesn't seem to have a lot of retro stuff. Oldest stuff I've found here was Gameboy stuff (not including video game stores since they're all marktet or overpriced anyhow).

Ragetendo

The Angry Italian
Years
Wow, Ninja Gaiden is a pretty lofty goal haha. And the area I'm in doesn't seem to have a lot of retro stuff. Oldest stuff I've found here was Gameboy stuff (not including video game stores since they're all marktet or overpriced anyhow).

That sucks, i was able to get 2 NES (just consoles) for $10 and i just refurbished them. ebay is a lot of the times overpriced but i find swapmeets to have decent prices since most don't know what they have. i was able to get a $70 game for $8 all because the guy didn't know what he had.

And yes Ninja Giaden is hard because of poor enemy locations plus them respawning if you exit frame, and the end boss is a total S.O.B.Still really fun game lol

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
That sucks, i was able to get 2 NES (just consoles) for $10 and i just refurbished them. ebay is a lot of the times overpriced but i find swapmeets to have decent prices since most don't know what they have. i was able to get a $70 game for $8 all because the guy didn't know what he had.

And yes Ninja Giaden is hard because of poor enemy locations plus them respawning if you exit frame, and the end boss is a total S.O.B.Still really fun game lol

Maybe you should try and beat all three on the NES? ;3 If you've played all three, which one did you think was the hardest?

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Maybe you should try and beat all three on the NES? ;3 If you've played all three, which one did you think was the hardest?
Ive actualy played them all. I can say that the 3rd is the hardest due to the lack of infinite continues. The 1st is of course hard and so is the 2nd. My favourite is the 2nd. Thats the one I have played the most of the three. :D
On the topic of hard nes titles: Anyone else played contra and contra force (super c)?

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I never owned a NES, but I did used to play my older cousin's NES back when I was 6, and to be honest, it's just a blur as to what I played back then. But yes, the games were a lot harder compared to what they are now.

As for favorite musics on the NES,

This one I can only link the exact time because apparently, the music hasn't been seperated.

http://youtu.be/CmFZds1u_zI?t=5m31s
This is the final boss music from Adventures of Lolo 3.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Looking at the usage of sprites from the NES.. let's say that the NES was continued to this modern day. Would you guys prefer the sprite-like graphics from the NES, compared to the graphics from say, Xbox 360, or PS3?

Well, this is a bit-like question, yes. XD How many bits did the NES have? I think eight? Well, would you guys prefer a eight bit game rather than improved graphics, so long as the game is good? Or would you guys expect more?

Ragetendo

The Angry Italian
Years
To be honest yes, because it can show that graphics don't make a game It's a supporting feature. Due to the lack of resources NES games had to be challenging and fun....some companies failed *cough* LJN *cough* But because they couldn't rely on graphics to keep the consumers mind preoccupied they had to make a good game or fail like LJN. Not to say there isn't good modern games, I've got a few favorite modern games, but its like there's been a big shift to graphics > Substance. There was graphical concerns in the 80's and 90's but it was dwarfed by the actual games, take Super Mario Bros vs Super Mario Bros 3...Super Mario Bros clearly has inferior graphics but its still one of the most loved games of all time...Why?....Well one reason is nostalgia other is very addictive gameplay. So to answer the question Would i want 8bit back...If they made high caliber games like metroid,zelda,mario than yes. Maybe its just me the old school gamer who doesn't want to let the 8Bit-16Bit die.

Years
Does anyone own the first Final Fantasy on the NES and have beaten it? I want to try it out on a real console sometime, but I don't know anyone with an NES ;.;

I never managed to beat it while I still owned the title, eventually the save battery on the cartridge died so I was left with no motivation to re-play it after getting a good ways in.

I'm acually working on Ninja Gaiden 1 now, although I'm playing it on VC, the enemy placement in that game is rather horrid. I prefer Castlevania, which might be slightly easier, but relies far less on twitch reflexes. (IMO)

While I do like 8-bit graphics, I feel like 2D gameplay really hits it's stride in 16-bit. (SNES/Genesis)

Back