• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Famicom aka. Nintendo Entertainment System (NES™) Discussion Thread

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • Surprisingly and unfortunately enough, LJN made every single NES game movie adaptation. :x

Actually, I don't think they had the Star Wars franchise. I may be wrong though.

tigerBLADE

1000://PowHammers
    Years
  • Actually, I don't think they had the Star Wars franchise. I may be wrong though.

Oh yeah; except Star Wars and some others I've forgotten.

But still, LJN had the majority of the video game adaptations; they could of gave some other company a try, at least when it came to X-Men for the NES. ;__;

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Ohh, the NES. It outright saved the video game industry in the US while in Britain we just used computers like the Commodore 64 and the ZX Spectrum.

I really think that the NES was easily a very important system, plus it's large range of games is rather impressive. Just avoid most of the pirated stuff and you should be fine.

I'll also scoot over here and show you a rather interesting video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXWgk4ooE0Y

The NES was released in a simpler time, so more experimental titles are quite interesting to look back on. I hated how the controller was like a brick and gave you imprints in your hand, but at least later on they introduced a dog-bone like controller for the system.

Years
  • You guys shouldn't be so hard on LJN they made some decent SNE...oh..right NES titles...carry on.

I've played both Super Mario Bros 3 and Megaman, and I finally managed to beat Megaman by my self (Yellow Devil be scorn!)

I remember one year, 2 of my friends and I managed to beat the Original 8. They sure did have alot of games on the Nes! 6 out of 10 of the total series, and 9 and 10 are NES inspired.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Punch Out is the best NES game. That is all.
    Anyone else amazed by Super Mario Bros 3?

It's almost unbelievable how Nintendo managed to create that game on such a limited system.
    Did you know this is the only NES Mario game I haven't ever played? And also one out of two mainline Mario games that I never played. (The other is NSMB2)

Am I weird for playing SMB2 (JP) before it? (Which is pretty awesome) I'm just waiting for it to be released on the 3DS so I can play it on 60hz. I heard so much good things about it and it better delivers.
    Pfft, you think that looks ridiculous? Have you seen the boxart for the first one?
    Spoiler:
    Did you know this particular Mega Man was playable (exclusively on PS3, and Vita) in SFxT? You should have seen the reactions. It was hilarious.
    But NSMB U? And Luigi U? I want to play those. They look... better. Visually. And from word of mouth I've come across from people who have played it, it is more in line with what they had hoped the original NSMB would have been in the first place.
    I was playing NSMB Wii two weeks before U's release here in Europe but I thought it was so bland and uninspired that I never bothered to finish it, again. But U? I adored it. I actually find NSMBU to be the best Mario platformer after finishing it, including the 3D platformers, but take that as you will. The level design is the best I've seen, even if the presentation is still left to be desired. I'm really looking forward for Super Luigi U. And the challenge mode could give you tons of fun for hours.

I also tried playing NSMB Wii after it STILL but to no avail.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Punch Out is the best NES game. That is all.

The music immediately came to mind just now, haha.

Did you know this is the only NES Mario game I haven't ever played? And also one out of two mainline Mario games that I never played. (The other is NSMB2)

Am I weird for playing SMB2 (JP) before it? (Which is pretty awesome) I'm just waiting for it to be released on the 3DS so I can play it on 60hz. I heard so much good things about it and it better delivers.

I play games out of order all the time, so it's not strange to me, just nice to see someone else playing in the "not so correct" order haha. But I'm sure you will enjoy SMB3. Perhaps I'm a bit biased since like I said, it was one of my first games and my favorite game in general for a long time. Strangely enough, it's the overworlds that really do it for me. I love the design, the music, and how the levels themselves intertwine with the overworld. It's wonderful! :)

tigerBLADE

Years
  • Personally, I would say that the best and my own favourite NES game would have to be the original Legend of Zelda, since, well, I remember all of the secrets that were within the game, and I was one of those Zelda fans who would know that land of Hyrule ike the back of my hand~ But it was pretty fun to play! <3

Punch Out is the best NES game. That is all.

Did you know this particular Mega Man was playable (exclusively on PS3, and Vita) in SFxT? You should have seen the reactions. It was hilarious.

Really? oo;
    I can imagine the reations of people.. XD

"How does this look like megaman?!" Or something like that. :3

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Personally, I would say that the best and my own favourite NES game would have to be the original Legend of Zelda, since, well, I remember all of the secrets that were within the game, and I was one of those Zelda fans who would know that land of Hyrule ike the back of my hand~ But it was pretty fun to play! <3
    You know I never liked that game. It's the only NES game that I played (well, it and another one) that didn't really feel like it aged well. It pretty much throws you in a huge world while not giving any objectives and just wants you to explore things on your own. Now I can see the appeal, but I don't have the time or patience for that. And I suck at the game, apparently, I can't stop dying. Maybe if I played it when I was a kid I'd have loved it, but today? No thank you.

The other game is, ironically enough, Zelda 2. But that game was awful.

Really? oo;
    I can imagine the reations of people.. XD

"How does this look like megaman?!" Or something like that. :3
    See it yourself.
    People are still mad apparently.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • James explained it in an AVGN episode how Id gave over the source code for Wolfenstein 3D to Wisdom Tree and they redid some stuff and this was the result. Id was apparently mad at Nintendo for borking the SNES version of Wolfenstein 3D.

tigerBLADE

Years
  • James explained it in an AVGN episode how Id gave over the source code for Wolfenstein 3D to Wisdom Tree and they redid some stuff and this was the result. Id was apparently mad at Nintendo for borking the SNES version of Wolfenstein 3D.

Oh; I didn't see that episode of AVGN, hence why I was surprised. :(

I just found it weird how they made that game for the SNES, and made it a clone of another game, when Konami made an entirely different Noah's Arc game for the NES:

Noah%27s_Ark_NES_cover.jpg

I just thought that... Konami would make it a refurbished edition on the SNES, from that NES game.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
    Years

Actually that's just a rumor, not confirmed, but not entirely impossible of course. Id like to know the truth, hoping it was true.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Actually that's just a rumor, not confirmed, but not entirely impossible of course. Id like to know the truth, hoping it was true.

Yeah, I really wouldn't doubt it if it was true. It's entirely plausible.

I think I came across a box for that game (don't think it looked like that though) at a video game rental store long long ago

That's a scary thought. XD

tigerBLADE

Years
  • So I actually found a copy of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. They sold it for 2 dollars. @__@;;

Anywho, did anyone play the "lost worlds" on the NES Super Mario Bros.? I never did, but, I got it for the VC on my 3DS. Is it really that hard?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Do you mean The Lost Levels?

If so, on the NES (or FDS, rather) it is hard. If you play the All-Stars version (or 3DS VC with save states) then it is much more manageable because you can save and don't have to restart the entire game when you lose.

tigerBLADE

Years
  • Do you mean The Lost Levels?

If so, on the NES (or FDS, rather) it is hard. If you play the All-Stars version (or 3DS VC with save states) then it is much more manageable because you can save and don't have to restart the entire game when you lose.

Ah, yes, that's what I meant. :3

All I heard about it was that it had more things like poison mushrooms and different turns to the levels, and things like that. For a Mario game, I just couldn't imagine how hard it can possibly be ever since playing some of the later versions of Super Mario Bros. (like the one for the 3DS).

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Ah, yes, that's what I meant. :3

All I heard about it was that it had more things like poison mushrooms and different turns to the levels, and things like that. For a Mario game, I just couldn't imagine how hard it can possibly be ever since playing some of the later versions of Super Mario Bros. (like the one for the 3DS).
    Well, they're not "different turns". It isn't SMB: Hard Version (that would be the old arcade "VS" edition of the game). It is a new game. It is a sequel. In Japan it is labelled as Super Mario Bros. 2. It's just a lot harder than the first game (and any of the sidescroller Mario games that came after it)

The original SMB was eight worlds long in length, with four levels within each world. The Lost Levels has 13 worlds! And all of the levels are new.

There are poison mushrooms, yes. Also wind gusts that screw up your jumps if you're not expecting them. And this game has Piranha Plants that don't wait for you, unlike the first game.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • The Lost Levels is without a doubt the most difficult Mario experience, the only time I've managed to beat it was when it was an unlock as part of Super Mario Bros DX for the GBC, which allowed you to save your progress.
    It also cut out the wind gusts and some of the other unique features. I don't think it had every level either.

Back