• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Family roles in B/W

Arolu

Time to cut some slack...
Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    I think it could be quick and simple if they just turned one of Proffessor Araragi's technicians into your Father. (Like they done with the counterplayer in Sinnoh). That way, he could come and tell you some tactical stuff and help with Pokedex stuff.
    While your Mother could probably just pop by ocassionally in different towns for a holiday (and ask if your wearing fresh underwear) and possibly give you a helpful item along the way. Now those and good parents! Not like the ones who just sit at tables and stare blankly at TV's reminiscing about the Super Contest's they once attended.

coolnick37

Absolute Power
    Years
  • No it's not.
    A champion father, and unknown mother, and a pair of grandparents does not overflow family cap.

Maybe you're not looking at this with an open mind enough. XD

Not with an open mind? :S i dont understand what for i need to have open mind about this.
    Maybe ur just exaggerating this a little bit, cause pokemon games have always had a simple storyline, of course as we got new gens they evolved into more complex ones. But Adding all those stuff wouldnt fit, like having an unknown mother, that sound more like some kind of drama. And by having a father and grandparents as a part of the household, that just doesnt follow the pattern, that we have always had, mother was always a basis on a start of every pokemon challenge. It just doesnt make sense to start living with your grandparents and your father now -.-

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
  • Not with an open mind? :S i dont understand what for i need to have open mind about this.
    Maybe ur just exaggerating this a little bit, cause pokemon games have always had a simple storyline, of course as we got new gens they evolved into more complex ones. But Adding all those stuff wouldnt fit, like having an unknown mother, that sound more like some kind of drama. And by having a father and grandparents as a part of the household, that just doesnt follow the pattern, that we have always had, mother was always a basis on a start of every pokemon challenge. It just doesnt make sense to start living with your grandparents and your father now -.-

I was just taking the ideas that were being discussed and expounding a bit. There are plenty of things they are more likely to do, but I do think story needs to come into play more than it has. At a certain point, you can't make the same game over and over again. In the gamecube versions they tried for a little bit of story, and it made those games much more unique. Yes they will still keep the basic structure of go become the champ, but why shouldn't other events occur along the way?

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • Not with an open mind? :S i dont understand what for i need to have open mind about this.

Expanding what Matt-O has already said,

Making the same formula again and again gets boring and repetitive.

"Drama"?
    Hm....
    "OMG -player-! YOU HAVE TO DESTROY THE EVIL SYNDICATE THAT'S DOING STUFF! IT'S YOUR DESTINY! FRIENDSHIP FOREVER FWEE!"

....yeah.

Point in case, new formulas keep games exciting and lovable. It gets plain if every Pokemon game is just a "different shade of blue" each time.

Having a super bold father that's important in the world somehow and having a mother that stays at home doing.... nothing? is something that has been done by every writer and his cat.

being open to new ideas can potentially make the game so great, you'll have no idea how you stomached the original game without some features.

I mean, can you honestly tell me you increasingly despise every change in a formula since Pokemon Red and Blue version?

----

Okay, Point across. :3

Any ideas or speculations of what the father might do if he's present?

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
  • So far Bel has an on-screen father. There was speculation that Araragi was your mom and that her assistant is Cheren's mom, which I liked.

I liked Timbjerr's idea of the Plasma boss being the father. The mother however In my opinion, I am 90% sure she will be a retired Musical champion (Just how Dawn's mum was a retired Poke Coordinator).

Lol.

Plasma Boss: [pc], I am your father.
    [pc]: NOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...!!

It wouldn't be as powerful this time around...

Years
  • wouldn't it be nice if the player's father had a role in the games??

the only games that had the players father in them were Emerald,Ruby, and Sapphire with Norman as the gym leader. It would be cool if the players father could actually be part of the story line. don't you think so..

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Merged this with the family roles thread.

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
    Years
  • The mom needs to stay in the kitchen where she belongs.

It would be nice to have something different. I don't really pay attention the mom in most games, and in SS I wish she would just stop buying so many freaking berries that I don't use! And in R/S/E, I thought that it was cool that there was a dad, but he was just another gym leader to me.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    It would be a nice thing if they put a storyline to the mom's loss. Like, the dad explains that your mom has gone on vacation and he'll be the one at home. Then later on in the game, you meet your mom in a fancy resort vacation place.
    Some sort of storyline to the family would be nice, but it doesn't have to exactly relate to a holiday trip.

Roles including brothers and sisters will be a delight. Brendan in R/S/E had a sister, even if she had just a slight role. I always thought it was a decent idea to have them go on a journey too and then some time later on in the game you would battle them. :)

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
  • I never missed having a dad. Then again, I have a horrible father who I gladly never see. But that doesn't mean everyone can't have a father... but if they tied a father in well I wouldn't mind. I like the idea of double gym battle with your parents.

And anyone ever thought about siblings (probably, I never read every post in this thread)? Maybe they could be a gym leader... or if one of the nurses/shop keepers was your sis? You could walk in and she could be like "OMG, it's my lil bro/sis!" and maybe she could give you something cool. It would also be cool if your family had rooms in your house, because are you that special that you have the only room in the house?

Mr. L

Tea.
    Years
  • I think a nice idea would be that you've just moved to this region because your father accecpted a role as the Gym leader in a town near yours (The last town you visit and the 8th gym leader you'll battle) and he uses a team of Pokemon that aren't found in your region. I'd also like to see the mother do more than sit at home all day (I thought the fact she moved in GSC was a breakthrough), It'd be nice if she travelled around the region every now and again, not in the way the trainer does, but just random visits to towns and if you find her she could give you a TM.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
  • I think a nice idea would be that you've just moved to this region because your father accecpted a role as the Gym leader in a town near yours (The last town you visit and the 8th gym leader you'll battle) and he uses a team of Pokemon that aren't found in your region. I'd also like to see the mother do more than sit at home all day (I thought the fact she moved in GSC was a breakthrough), It'd be nice if she travelled around the region every now and again, not in the way the trainer does, but just random visits to towns and if you find her she could give you a TM.

Your D/P/Pt mom actually took part in contests. I hope your B/W mom keeps doing musicals, though a reference woulda been nice. Of four contestants, 2 being you and your mom, and she pretends she doesn't do contests? :X

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • This generation, I'm hoping that the father stays at home along with the mother. Like someone already said, he could save money and buy items. He could also give you items depending on how many badges you have.

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    Mom: Musical Teacher that lives in whatever town the Musicals are introduced.
    Dad: Traveler that travels from your region to the other regions. Also the champion of Isshu's Elite 4.
    You: Live in the house alone, but spend most of your time with your friends Cheren and Belle so your not alone.
    Cheren: Whats to become the Pokemon Professor of Isshu in the future and is the assistant of Professor Araragi.
    Belle: Step-Sister or Sister of Berry that lives in Isshu and wants to grow up to be a great trainer like Berry is. Her Dad doesn't want her to be a trainer and instead take up Musicals.

Done. xD (I'm not saying thats the fact I'm guessing based on facts given.)

I never missed having a dad. Then again, I have a horrible father who I gladly never see. But that doesn't mean everyone can't have a father... but if they tied a father in well I wouldn't mind. I like the idea of double gym battle with your parents.

And anyone ever thought about siblings (probably, I never read every post in this thread)? Maybe they could be a gym leader... or if one of the nurses/shop keepers was your sis? You could walk in and she could be like "OMG, it's my lil bro/sis!" and maybe she could give you something cool. It would also be cool if your family had rooms in your house, because are you that special that you have the only room in the house?

As Black, White could be your sister and as White, Black could be your brother.

They would have a place in Hiun City or something that would be cool...

Last edited:

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
  • Mom: Musical Teacher that lives in whatever town the Musicals are introduced.
    Dad: Traveler that travels from your region to the other regions. Also the champion of Isshu's Elite 4.
    You: Live in the house alone, but spend most of your time with your friends Cheren and Belle so your not alone.
    Cheren: Whats to become the Pokemon Professor of Isshu in the future and is the assistant of Professor Araragi.
    Belle: Step-Sister or Sister of Berry that lives in Isshu and wants to grow up to be a great trainer like Berry is. Her Dad doesn't want her to be a trainer and instead take up Musicals.

Done. xD (I'm not saying thats the fact I'm guessing based on facts given.)

As Black, White could be your sister and as White, Black could be your brother.

They would have a place in Hiun City or something that would be cool...

You put some real thought into that. Nice connections, BTW. I kinda like the idea of Black and White being brother/sister. Though, living alone at 14/15/16? Maybe instead of your mm you can live with an aunt or something. AND WHITE AND BLACK ARE REALLY RED AND LEAF!

Back