• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Famitsu's 40 out of 40: Now you KNOW it's good?

Clefairies

I'm always chasing rainbows.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    Sounds promising.
    But I always seem to like things that get bad reviews, so I tend to keep an open mind regardless of reviews, B&W will be no exception, but I am glad they are doing well review wise, I can't wait to explore Isshu!

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    I think BW sounds great, but I'd not give it a ten just because it SOUNDS great. Have these people actually played the game? O_o;

Of course they have - that's kinda how reviews work.

Anywho, this has made me feel even more optimistic about this gen =D

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    This gives nintendo a huge amount of hype, and puts a smile of confidence on my face, as I know these will be well worth the money. And it wouldn't be a big deal if Famitsu was "unreliable" as some of you have said.

Spoiler:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Trust me, Famitsu is literally never wrong when it comes to ratings. I think they got it right. And the over 1 Million pre-ordered copies of B&W seem to agree with them.

And here I thought reviews were based on personal opinion. My bad, I must have gotten it all wrong. I also forgot that the 1 million pre-orders were because Famitsu gave the game a 40/40, and not because Pokemon is a scarily popular franchise.

Oh well, the games still look awful to me. I only check reviews if it's a game I know nothing about. I rarely let them make me get a game, unless it's out of curiosity/skepticism.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    And here I thought reviews were based on personal opinion. My bad, I must have gotten it all wrong. Apparently I also forgot that the 1 million pre-orders were because Famitsu gave the game a 40/40, and not because Pokemon is a scarily popular franchise.

Oh well, the games still look awful to me. I only check reviews if it's a game I know nothing about. I rarely let them make me get a game, unless it's out of curiosity/skepticism.

The personal opinions of multiple people in this case, who have all been correct according to..well, nearly everyone, when it comes down to it.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    The personal opinions of multiple people in this case, who have all been correct according to..well, nearly everyone, when it comes down to it.

What? You lost me.

It's still an opinion, and Famitsu giving it a thumbs up doesn't make it fact.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    What? You lost me.

It's still an opinion, and Famitsu giving it a thumbs up doesn't make it fact.
    Nope but it does help the franchise, it makes it sound good, remember some people are like cattle they take the opinion of people to heart and follow them...

Years
    And here I thought reviews were based on personal opinion. My bad, I must have gotten it all wrong. I also forgot that the 1 million pre-orders were because Famitsu gave the game a 40/40, and not because Pokemon is a scarily popular franchise.

Famitsu is a prestigious gaming magazine, chances are they know what they're doing. The 15 games that have 40/40 ratings are:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)[10]
    2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)[11]
    3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., for PlayStation)[11]
    4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)[11]
    5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[11]
    6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)[11]
    7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)[12]
    8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)[13]
    9. 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)[14]
    10. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)[15]
    11. Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)[16]
    12. Bayonetta (2009, Sega, for Xbox 360)[17]
    13. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009, Nintendo, for Wii)[18]
    14. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, Konami, for PlayStation Portable)[19]
    15. Pokémon Black and White (2010, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[20]
    Pretty hard to argue with that list. And B&W went over a million pre-orders a week and a half ago, not because of the Mag, you misread what i said. I meant that the magazine is basically re-affirming what everybody already knew.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    I wouldn't put too much stock into what Famitsu says lately. A 40 used to mean a lot from them, but now they hand them out like they're going out of style. :/

Just look at the fact that over half of those perfect scores have been in the past two years, when the magazine itself has been around for eons. I'm not going to write off the games at this point, but I'd say not to go on and proclaim B/W as "ZOMG BEST POKEMANZ GAMEZ EVAR!!111" solely based on the fact that Famitsu gave them a 40. Wait until a lot of other places score them both in Japan and North America, play them yourself, and then that judgment can be made.

Years
    I wouldn't put too much stock into what Famitsu says lately. A 40 used to mean a lot from them, but now they hand them out like they're going out of style. :/

Just look at the fact that over half of those perfect scores have been in the past two years, when the magazine itself has been around for eons. I'm not going to write off the games at this point, but I'd say not to go on and proclaim B/W as "ZOMG BEST POKEMANZ GAMEZ EVAR!!111" solely based on the fact that Famitsu gave them a 40. Wait until a lot of other places score them both in Japan and North America, play them yourself, and then that judgment can be made.

That's true, but there are still plenty of oldies on there, and the new games they have are pretty good.

Has anybody else even rated it? I didnt see anything in my last game informer, and i don't get Nintendo Power anymore. D: (Not that thier opinion is a reputable one, but hey)

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Famitsu is a prestigious gaming magazine, chances are they know what they're doing. The 15 games that have 40/40 ratings are:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)[10]
    2. Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)[11]
    3. Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., for PlayStation)[11]
    4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)[11]
    5. Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[11]
    6. Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)[11]
    7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)[12]
    8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)[13]
    9. 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)[14]
    10. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)[15]
    11. Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)[16]
    12. Bayonetta (2009, Sega, for Xbox 360)[17]
    13. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009, Nintendo, for Wii)[18]
    14. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, Konami, for PlayStation Portable)[19]
    15. Pokémon Black and White (2010, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[20]
    Pretty hard to argue with that list. And B&W went over a million pre-orders a week and a half ago, not because of the Mag, you misread what i said. I meant that the magazine is basically re-affirming what everybody already knew.

Wait, my opinion is wrong now?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Nobody's opinion is wrong - what matters is that B/W got a perfect score.

Years

You can like or dislike the games or whatever, you're entitled to your own opinion like everybody else. But, the general consensus is, that B&W is very good, and worthy of Famitsu's 40/40 score, and the fact it reached a million pre-orders re-affirms the notion its a good game. You can have your opinion like everybody else, but im just saying that the majority of the Pokemon gaming community would disagree with your stance.

Years

Your opinion isn't wrong, but your choice to judge the game before you actually play it isn't right, either.

To be honest, the Famitsu score means nothing, other than that it's free advertisement for Nintendo. People's opinions and experiences differ, and of course that means their opinions may not stack up with the reviewers. As someone else in this thread said, your mileage may vary. For me, I preordered the games because the franchise has a proven track record in my experience. For others, they'll skip out on them because they don't like the genre, the way it plays, etc.

The Red Chain

But, the general consensus is, that B&W is very good, and worthy of Famitsu's 40/40 score, and the fact it reached a million pre-orders re-affirms the notion its a good game.
    You shouldn't use the million pre-orders as a reason, since that doesn't make much sense. I don't deny that it looks like it'll be great, but pre-orders are pre-orders. Nobody has really played the game yet, we've only seen previews of it. I believe the insane amount of orders is because of all the new features, new Pokemon, new region to explore, and how highly anticipated the 5th generation is. Nobody can truly say the game is great yet. Those who pre-ordered haven't played it either yet, so there is no telling. The rating is wonderful though. :3

Years
    You shouldn't use the million pre-orders as a reason, since that doesn't make much sense. I don't deny that it looks like it'll be great, but pre-orders are pre-orders. Nobody has really played the game yet, we've only seen previews of it. I believe the insane amount of orders is because of all the new features, and how highly anticipated the 5th generation is. Just cause you pre-order doesn't mean you've played it before everyone else. Nobody can truly say the game is great yet. The rating is wonderful though. :3

The people at Famitsu played B&W before they rated it, as they should have. So that inclines me to go with their opinion since they have a good track record when it comes to knowing a good video game.

Normally i wouldn't put much stock into pre-order figures, but, we're talking about a Million pre-orders. A Million. What other video game can boast that?

The Red Chain

Normally i wouldn't put much stock into pre-order figures, but, we're talking about a Million pre-orders. A Million. What other video game can boast that?
    Doesn't mean it's a good game yet. Pre-order =/= Play. XD;
    A magazine's rating shouldn't set your opinion on a game.. your opinion is yours to make, not for the magazine to decide. ^^;

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    You can like or dislike the games or whatever, you're entitled to your own opinion like everybody else. But, the general consensus is, that B&W is very good, and worthy of Famitsu's 40/40 score, and the fact it reached a million pre-orders re-affirms the notion its a good game. You can have your opinion like everybody else, but im just saying that the majority of the Pokemon gaming community would disagree with your stance.
    Don't forget that Pokemon is the second most popular franchise ever, right behind Mario. Sales mean nothing about the game. Just look at ET. Hell, look at Psychonauts and Grim Fandango.

You could stop trying to make it sound like it's fact and I wouldn't have any beef with what you said, but it's how you said it.
    Your opinion isn't wrong, but your choice to judge the game before you actually play it isn't right, either.

Pretty sure my opinion will be never right or wrong since we're dealing with personal preference and not facts~

Gilgαmesh

Well, I used the whole 40/40 thing to boost my confidence about the games, but this says nothing about how the games will actually turn out until I actually play them. I can understand how the other side might think the perfect score might tell them that this is the best game ever though. Who are we to stop those people and crush their hopes when they're going to get the game anyway?

Sure, it may or may not be logical reasoning for some of you who aren't as hyped about the 40/40 to think lowly of those who are and think the game is the best, but I would personally let them have those hopes. It may not be the right reasons, and I agree with you on that(especially when they're getting hyped when an apparent gaming magazine that rarely gives a perfect score manages to give a perfect score to this game), but putting people down is a tad too harsh, dontcha think? :(

...That's just me anyway. I apologize for my ranting, it's quite late here.

Years
    Doesn't mean it's a good game yet. Pre-order =/= Play. XD;
    A magazine's rating shouldn't set your opinion on a game.. your opinion is yours to make, not for the magazine to decide. ^^;

I had my opinions before i read that article. The review B&W got re-enforced what i already knew. I was already psyched to buy both of them, but seeing the critical acclaim is the icing on the cake.

Don't forget that Pokemon is the second most popular franchise ever, right behind Mario. Sales mean nothing about the game. Just look at ET. Hell, look at Psychonauts and Grim Fandango.

You could stop trying to make it sound like it's fact and I wouldn't have any beef with what you said, but it's how you said it.

Pretty sure my opinion will be never right or wrong since we're dealing with personal preference and not facts~

All im saying is that so far, more people are happy/impressed/whatever about these games, than not. A million pre-orders and a perfect Famitsu score back that up.

Last edited:
    Back