• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Don't quite know what you mean by the last part.
Since you're the only active FFotM you would win by default. 8D; Lucky you.

I'm still hesitant to say yes to these awards, since we don't have a lot of activity here. Give me some more time to think it over. I'm reading ACC-kun's fic soon, and my mind is prepped for that.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
I think it could work, really. :/ Admittedly there aren't that many fics on here to win it, but TPM has regular awards that work out very well and don't cause any drama llamas like a certain other forum's awards, so I don't see why we couldn't try.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023

I'm still hesitant to say yes to these awards, since we don't have a lot of activity here. Give me some more time to think it over. I'm reading ACC-kun's fic soon, and my mind is prepped for that.

Stir of the THunderstorm is still active.

No pressure for awards I was just curious if it's ever been mentioned.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I'm pretty sure it has, but, as Dragonfree said; there'd be nothing wrong with trying it.

So, who wants to manage it all? *Crowd point at Hanako*

Seriously though, if we could come up with good mini awards, thre's nothing really stopping us from seeing if it'd work or not.

Just my two Cents, anyways.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Peek-a-boo. :3

So yeah, it's still my hard-earned first weekend break from the military, so I thought it would be a downright shame if I didn't at least poke my head in here. Not reviewing this week, though (probably not the next either, since it's apparently a Sunday-only break) but it's my hope to reach a point where I can actually manage some of that too, as soon as I've managed to stuff my last RPing skeletons inside of the closet and get them locked up nice and tight anyway. So yeah, certain authors may expect reviews at an indeterminate point in the future.

While we're waiting for that particular point, though...

What are your views on the people that only post in this thread to say that their next chapter is up or to ask for a review and never actually take part in the conversation?

Meh, I feel about them much the same way as I feel about the people who feel inclined to 'sign off' each one of their posts, which is pretty much the same way I feel about flies. Light nuisance, but mostly I just ignore them. Feels sort of redundant, though, since it already shows in the main section when a new addition has been made to a fanfic. The biggest pity is for them, though, because they're really missing out on the best part of what the lounge has to offer. =O

How do you figure out the gaps between a SPAM fic and a real fan fic with bad grammar ect?

Writer's attitude and general writing record. The profile can also give some indication, as true illiteracy and lack of writing skill really shines through on forums.

Do you always have the same amount of chapters in your fan fictions, or do you just go with the flow of the story?

Unless there was some very specific symbolism (or connection to an existing work) I wanted to work in, I really can't picture myself pre-determining the amount of chapters in a work of fiction. I write as many chapters as I need. No more, no less.

Are you more likely to make your character love his/her Pokemon or to leave the whole bonding thing out of your work?

Oh, there will definitely be bonds. When you have multiple intelligent beings forced into interaction for longer periods of time, I seriously couldn't picture a scenario where a relationship of some kind wouldn't form (unless we're dealing with artificial pokémon like the Porygon line). Whether it's the old 'friendship and love' thing, a case of being united by necessity (I've actually been toying with the idea of having a human and pokémon pair where the two truly, deeply resent each other (not just in the 'friend rivals' sense either. This is a duo wherein one has already attempted to kill the other and has made it quite clear that they'd do it again if they had a way to get away with it.) but still get with the program because their survival is hinged on co-operating), or a less emotional master and servant relationship. In general, I'm inclined to have some sense of friendship and/or loyalty form, even if it's not mutual, but because I enjoy creating the most screwed up people at times, it's...not unheard of for me to draw those to unhealthy extremes (over-protectiveness, possessiveness, and just unhealthy obsessions galore, really).

But yeah, there's usually some kind of bond at the bottom, even if it's a twisted one. :3

How do you treat the subject of character death?

Very cautiously. A character's death can be a powerful plot device, yes, but only if wielded sparingly and in good taste. I'd also want a very pressing plot reason that requires the character in question to be dead, because once I decided to kill them off, they're gone along with all the plot purposes they could serve while alive (unless of course I'm pulling a faux death stunt). So yeah, it will most probably occur at some point of some fic I write (the when and where is still completely open), but only after I've exhausted less extreme methods of impressing the seriousness of the situation. Personally, I'm partial to trauma and psychological breakdown. In some cases, that's way scarier than a character just dying, imo.

So yeah, the mortality rate for my characters is fairly low. The odds of them escaping unscathed, however...>D

Do you occasionally use religious symbolism in fiction, original or otherwise, or do you draw paralells to religious beliefs?

Meh, usually not. I draw on folklore and mythology quite a bit, and I suppose that religion of some kind is pretty much intertwined with that, but at most the religious stuff is bits and pieces from various religions frankensteined with the figments of my own addled mind. I do have some cases of using religion in fiction (Notably the Typheite emperor cult from one of my oldest RPs, the dawnbringer religion in my fictional nordic region, and the Ho-oh worshippers which is a certain character of mine (ACC would know this one) belonged to), but it's always a fictional one. As an atheist, I have no inclination to push a religious agenda in my writing, but since it's a notable part of human society I can't completely exclude it in good conscience either. The only really religious character I've done was...pretty messed up by their religion, though, but that was a poke at extremist belief in general rather religion in particular. :3

If you ever use music in your fan fiction, do you allow it to be real music, like something made by Paul McCartney, or do you create your own singer/band/song?

Meh, I usually don't put that much emphasis on music in my fics. If I need to, though, it's always invented. Part of establishing the whole 'different world' thing. I'm not much of a song writer, though, so I don't do specific lyrics much. x3

As for awards...personally I think FFotM is enough, since there's a lot of room for bruising egos if we have a wast array of categories and some people still won't get into anything. (or get titles they don't want) Besides, that's more work for whoever has to organize it, but it's not a make or break thing for me either way. :3

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Hello, folks. Apologies for disappearing all of a sudden. Working on a short serial for someone's Christmas gift. And by working, I mean "procrastinating like hell while attempting to beat NiGHTS Journey of Dreams."

Would Midsummer Knights also count, even though I'm working on a technically different version?

And to add to the survey discussion...

What are your views on the people that only post in this thread to say that their next chapter is up or to ask for a review and never actually take part in the conversation?

Considering I was guilty of it at one point, I really don't mind so much. It's when people start (for lack of a better term) whining that no one reads their fics that those posts get on my nerves (because, really, I don't get a lot of reviews on a daily basis, so I really don't want to see someone complaining that they aren't either). That and I agree with Alter Ego. I find that it's a shame that the only thing they have to say is "plz read my fic!" in the middle of a serious discussion about the elements of a plot, for example. That and it sort of breaks the tone of said serious discussion.

How do you figure out the gaps between a SPAM fic and a real fan fic with bad grammar ect?

Writer's attitude and general writing record. The profile can also give some indication, as true illiteracy and lack of writing skill really shines through on forums.

^ Word. Usually, I try to look at past posts of the user to see if they're joking or not. If the story is their first post, I also look at the content. Canon raping (ghetto Ash, liberal abuse of the word censor, smut for no reason, PWP) is a huge indicator, as writers with genuinely bad grammar, from what I observe, usually also stick to the tried-and-true plots (new trainers with Ash-esque beginnings, Mary Sues, fluffy/smutless romances, that sort of thing).

Do you always have the same amount of chapters in your fan fictions, or do you just go with the flow of the story?

Go with the flow. Sometimes, a story really can't fit in the same number of chapters as another work of mine, either because there's too much material or too little to call for more than a few chapters.

Are you more likely to make your character love his/her Pokemon or to leave the whole bonding thing out of your work?

This depends on the character. I've created characters who bond with their Pokemon as if they're parts of their family or the only creatures in the world they can trust. Likewise, I've created characters who only see Pokemon as pawns or toys and therefore don't get too attached past the master-servant relationship. It depends completely on what the story calls for. (After all, there's all kinds of people in the world, ranging from the bat **** crazy PETA members Yamato-san was talking about to the equally bat **** crazy artists who find mutilating cats to be a form of unique visual expression. Why should my worlds be limited to even a happy medium?)

Depends on the story and the characters. Background characters may die for the sake of exactly what Yamato-san had brought up: to emphasize that the world I've created isn't the Happy Bunny Candy Land that Ash lives in. Main characters die for major plot reasons, and they will naturally be treated with more respect by the other characters than the complete strangers that died off screen. That isn't to say that death is taken lightly for some as compared to others. Just that every death serves a purpose to add to the story.

Obviously, I have absolutely no problem with killing off my characters, but I need a reason for doing it. Same thing goes with injuring them. I may be a sadist, but I know all too well that a story just doesn't get the same effect if I go Elfen Lied on everyone I create.

Do you occasionally use religious symbolism in fiction, original or otherwise, or do you draw paralells to religious beliefs?

Viola is a Jesus figure.

If I can find a reason to, I don't see why not. I'm very fond, for example, of the story of Lilith and the Book of Revelations (although I'm ironically not Christian) and will happily use either if the story calls for it.

The problem is I don't usually find a reason to, save for the occasional "using the Lord's name in vain" bit. Prophecies just aren't my thing anymore, and it's incredibly awkward to fit religious allusions into futuristic or sci-fi fanfiction.

If you ever use music in your fan fiction, do you allow it to be real music, like something made by Paul McCartney, or do you create your own singer/band/song?

Again, with Yamato-san here. Although I don't often use music in my writing (because I really don't find a reason to, as few of my characters ever sit around and listen to music), I tend to like creating soundtracks for my work. Unfortunately, by "soundtracks," I mean "music by actual, record-producing artists" and not talent I happen to know and hire. (With that said, yes, Midsummer Knights has an opening and closing theme. What they are, I'll never tell.)

When I do fit in music, however, I just go with real musicians (a couple dancing to Frank Sinatra, Bill getting bored and playing Bach on a piano, a girl singing karaoke to the Go-Gos, that sort of thing) because my attempts at creating Pokemon-related band names have always been lame (the Volbeats instead of the Beatles, for example).

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
Again, with Yamato-san here.

YAY!!! ^^ I'm always right! XD

Jax Malcolm said:
because my attempts at creating Pokemon-related band names have always been lame (the Volbeats instead of the Beatles, for example).

I don't know if I've said it before, but that's exactly the kind of thing I hate in a lot of fics that I've seen. It's like every author out there thinks they're one of the writers for The Flintstones and turn Pokemon world into some pun-filled bastardization of our world. After all the canon research I've done over the years, I've come to one conclusion: the world featured in (most of) the franchise is more or less the same thing as our world. There are real locations (most notably South America), there are real animals (which are simply never focused on), some real people may exist or have existed in the past... about the only major differences are the obvious addition of super-powered creatures that could be contained inside of a ball (history and culture probably being slightly tweaked to suit this fact), Japan having an altered landscape, differences in technological development, and some other miscellaneous stuff.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
YAY!!! ^^ I'm always right! XD

What if you said one day, "I'm wrong"? Would you be admitting a fallacy or just sticking yourself into some mind-bending paradox that will eventually send you spiraling into babbling insanity?

...Because if it's the latter, that would be really cool to watch.

Seriously, though, as much as I have disagreed with you in the past, I'll have to agree with you here... on a level. While it is corny and often unnecessary (as the anime apparently mentions real-life famous faces now and then), the weird thing is about canon is that they occasionally make up puntastic names as well. Brad Van Darn instead of Jean-Claude Van Damme, for example. Clevon Schpealbunk instead of Steven Spielberg, for another example. (Even Schpealbunk's famous film, I Saw What You Ate Last Tuesday, is merely a pun on a real-life movie.) So, to make names up like that would fit in with canon, but the problem is that the anime has absolutely no shame in being corny. If one wanted to write a fanfiction with a more serious tone, then yeah, I'd say don't do it too, although it's not so much because the Pokemon world is our world with a few differences than because it just destroys the tone an author wanted to build in his story. I mean, if you're writing drama or darkfic or something that's just generally not Happy Bunny Candy Land, you just can't throw in a line mentioning Britney Spearow and expect people to take you seriously thereafter, am I right?

Regardless, it'd be interesting to hear what people have to say about throwing in puns just because canon did.

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
the weird thing is about canon is that they occasionally make up puntastic names as well. Brad Van Darn instead of Jean-Claude Van Damme, for example. Clevon Schpealbunk instead of Steven Spielberg, for another example. (Even Schpealbunk's famous film, I Saw What You Ate Last Tuesday, is merely a pun on a real-life movie.) So, to make names up like that would fit in with canon, but the problem is that the anime has absolutely no shame in being corny.

not only does the anime have no shame in that, but you bring up the ENGLISH VERSION. I think I've made it clear several times that I follow the original Japanese version of the Pokemon franchise a great deal. And I never explicitly said that canon doesn't do it (hell, I myself might be overlooking, or have yet to be aware of, a punny pop-culture reference or two that occurs in the Japanese canon.... actually, I think Gligar Man might be a good example). All I said is that fanfic writers often go overboard and compared their works to The Flintstones (which, as anyone should know, was notorious for using mineral-based puns at every corner).

What if you said one day, "I'm wrong"? Would you be admitting a fallacy or just sticking yourself into some mind-bending paradox that will eventually send you spiraling into babbling insanity?

dunno.... but speaking of paradoxes....

Do you use time-travel in your story? If so, how?
Yes, I do anticipate the use of time-travel in one or two of my stories... however, I plan to be very, very careful with its usage. I've done a lot of theories on the subject, and time is an extremely dangerous element to be screwing around with (if anyone's interested, I can delve further into the matter). I intend to showcase some harsh consequences that result from a mere two years going back (and even the choice to revert the present to its original state will show to be a difficult one as well).

Also, on the matter of Celebi and Dialga, I do plan to differentiate their powers. Celebi only travels through time, but never alters it, thus resulting in a time paradox. Anyone who's traveled from the future is pre-destined to go back with Celebi once their future occurs. Although it probably won't actually be shown, in a rather humorous manner, I'll have one character hypothesize on the time paradoxes and state that, even if a time-traveler put a gun up to someone who should be alive in the present, and they were about to pull the trigger, some freak incident will occur that insures the person's survival, such as the gunman being suddenly crushed by a wooden beam or struck by lightning. Dialga, being a more powerful being with full manipulation of time (as well as being a twin god whose counterpart manipulates space), actually is capable of altering the present. Dialga's powers also exclude it from the time paradox phenomenon, so Celebi (or anyone traveling with it), despite having the weaker time powers, can still directly affect the present if it were to somehow manipulate Dialga's actions at any point in history.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
It is one of the ideas going about my mind. I wont say how yet, though. Probably involving Dialga.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023

You have no clue how much I want to answer that. I can't, however, for fear that my fic will be ruined if I do. It involves Celebi, and the fact that if you were to, say, kill Hanako Tabris in the past, someone would become Hanako, and Hanako would never have died... No offence Hanako, I just needed a name. Anyways, it's sort of like; if something major happened; E.G. The Second World War, and someone went backwards in time and killed Hitler, someone would step up and take Hitler's shoes. He may have different looks, a different family, but he is created by Dialga/Celebi to stop a paradox that would destroy the world.

If you look at it this way, it's sort of like the way they could've prevented Donnie Darko doing what he had to do.

Did that make sense? I don't think it did. Ah well, when my fic is completed I will quote this, and we'll all look back on this post of lunacy and laugh.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
You have no clue how much I want to answer that. I can't, however, for fear that my fic will be ruined if I do. It involves Celebi, and the fact that if you were to, say, kill Hanako Tabris in the past, someone would become Hanako, and Hanako would never have died... No offence Hanako, I just needed a name. Anyways, it's sort of like; if something major happened; E.G. The Second World War, and someone went backwards in time and killed Hitler, someone would step up and take Hitler's shoes. He may have different looks, a different family, but he is created by Dialga/Celebi to stop a paradox that would destroy the world.

If you look at it this way, it's sort of like the way they could've prevented Donnie Darko doing what he had to do.

Did that make sense? I don't think it did. Ah well, when my fic is completed I will quote this, and we'll all look back on this post of lunacy and laugh.

I also love the "course-correcting" thing that comes along with time travel/seeing the future. I also plan on using the course correcting clause if I do use the time travel thing. Say you see into the future and know that someone is gonna die. You try to save them. But when you save them then they'll still fall down the stairs, if you warn them about the stairs then they will die some other way. I like how they did that in Lost.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Nov 7, 2011

I had an old fanfiction idea that will probably never come to pass that involved time-travel. I also had a one-shot that also used time-travel in the exact method (pretty much) that would have been used in the old fanfic idea I mentioned. It involved Celebi and the like. Currently though, no time-travel has been planned. xD

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
not only does the anime have no shame in that, but you bring up the ENGLISH VERSION. I think I've made it clear several times that I follow the original Japanese version of the Pokemon franchise a great deal.

That's all fine and dandy for you, but most people who write English fanfiction follow the English version for obvious reasons. Ergo, the argument still stands in that the people who write fanfiction in English and use punny names can still attempt to use the argument, "Well, canon did it, so why can't I?," which was my point. Would you care to address the general population on this side of the pond that is the Pacific, or would you rather consider me inferior because I acknowledge that most fans in America don't watch the original version of the anime because they neither can understand Japanese nor have the ability to import media (that they most likely can't understand anyway)?

Additionally, you state that you're going off "all the canon research [you've] done," which implies that you're making an assumption about the Pokemon world in general being simply our world with Pokemon in it. My response was saying that, yes, in a way, it is, but canon (dub included, as that's part of canon) also takes liberties that include puntastic, occasionally Flintstone-esque names (if not just downright corny knockoffs of reality). Because it's not exactly uncommon in the anime, a fanfiction author could simply use the excuse "canon did it" and still abuse puns. My question is, then, if people (as in, not just Yamato-san) believe this is okay for fanfics that consciously attempt to take on the tone of the anime -- and if not, where would the line be?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Thanks Oni Raichu. ;o; *wants to remain alive until Valentine's Day (which falls on a Thursday OMGOMG!)

>>; Anyhow...

No.

I think I've made it clear several times that I follow the original Japanese version of the Pokemon franchise a great deal.
That's all fine and dandy like caramel candy, Yamato-san. But do you know that there are people in the world who don't watch the Japanese version, and Jax wasn't just talking to you?

As for the issue of pun names, I feel that they are all right if used for humor purposes. If I'm reading a fic written just to get some laughs, then it's fine. If, however, the pun arises in the middle of a serious fic, then I just have to roll my eyes. If there is a need to lighten the mood of the serious fic at some point, then there are different ways to do this than a pun pulled out of the nose.

That said, I don't use puns. Namely because I don't like them, and also because there's no need for them in my fics.

Bay

Years
Spoiler:

Well, I don't hate puns that much but I see where you guys are going. I'm guilty of having a couple of characters using puns for comic relief in my more serious fics. Yeah, I'm that bad in comedy. XD Pretty much I use puns either in my humor fics or comic relief.

Spoiler:

txteclipse

The Last
Years

I haven't decided yet. I've actually thought about it a lot, and I have a few ideas, but I'd have to wait and see. It would pretty much give away my entire story if I said much of anything, which is a constant annoyance while writing, but hey. It's a fun topic to discuss, in any case, considering there's so many opinions as to how time travel would work. If a person/pokemon was doing the time-traveling, I'd do the whole "if it isn't alive it can't time travel" thing to get rid of the superior-technology-being-taken-back-in-time conundrum. If the time traveling was done by machine, I'd probably have it only be able to do short bursts of time travel or something.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I'm not sure. it hasn't yet come up in my writing, though it will in the future. It involves the suicide of villains in order to avoid jail time, so I'm not sure how much of an emotional imact it'll have on the characters, if any at all.

Spoiler:

Besides that, my characters do have religious beliefs (though this won't come up too often) and my character likes to sing Contemporary Christian songs during karaoke. Which leads us to...

All real artists, though only one or two songs really end up playing any sort of important role in terms of theme. The rest are ones that just pop into my character's head, or end up getting played on the radio or at karaoke parties. I'd rather not come up with made up music, just as I'd rather use real-life companies instead of made-up ones.

No. It wouldn't fit in with the context of my fic. However, if I did, it wouldn't involve Celebi or Dialga. It would involve a Rapidash, some plutonium, a flux capacitor, and the Rapidash would have to accelerate to 88 miles per hour to initiate the process...

On a side note, Chapter 4 of my fic is up. [/shameless plug]

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I'm going to go ahead and post a new question (I don't know if this has been done):

What is your favorite pokemon to write about/Which one would you most like to write about? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back