• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    What is your favorite pokemon to write about/Which one would you most like to write about? Why?

Mewtwo and Darkrai. Chapter three of my fan fiction (the second most heavily edited chapter I've made of all time) contains the two of them talking, well, communicating, through their minds. It's extremely interesting to use both of them, as they're both unstable and unsure of themselves and the world, and, instead of trying to do something peaceful; they destroy everything in sight, as we have been shown in various ways.

I figure I may as well post a new question too, just to annoy you guys:

Do you ever get that feeling in writing where you just don't want to write anymore?

When that happens, the plot normally dies, and the story goes unwritten. The reason I asked it is because I'm experiencing it right now. I can't continue the three stories I'm writing, I just can't.

Anybody know how to solve that?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • What is your favorite pokemon to write about/Which one would you most like to write about? Why?

I don't have a particular favorite, but I have a fondness for Haunter, what with its abilities and reputation for being both creepy and a trickster... or at least creepy. (Mmm. Floating hands.)

Do you ever get that feeling in writing where you just don't want to write anymore?

For particular stories, frequently. I tend to abandon stories and plot bunnies now and then, and for others, I just take a break from writing, which means I don't touch it and don't think about it for a few days to let my mind relax. (You know, take a breath before tackling it again with a fresher mind.) Eventually, motivation or inspiration comes back. Not exactly the best philosophy, but it works for me. *shrug*

In general, never.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Do you use time-travel in your story? If so, how?
    Yes, and oh, all the trouble it's landed me in.

Time-traveling is one of the most headache-inducing things my twelve-year-old self decided to stuff into the original version of The Quest for the Legends, and that's a fic that contains two Pokémon called Molzapart and Rainteicune that I still haven't managed to get rid of properly. The thing is, time-travel induces myriads of plot holes if you aren't extremely careful with it and plan out careful restrictions on it from the get-go. Take the Harry Potter series - technically readers are forced to conveniently forget about the existence of time-travel in it in order for the story to work out at all, because the time-travel is too unrestricted and technically somebody could just go back in time and undo, say, the birth of Voldemort. (The only reason given in the books for not doing so is that in the particular context time-travel was actually used would involve the main characters seeing their own future selves in the past, which would freak them out too much - there are no technical restrictions on causing paradoxes at all.)

I have a similar problem in the current version of time-travel in The Quest for the Legends version ILCOE - basically, the entire plot revolves around a time-traveling Pokémon executing an elaborate plan to avoid a certain moment, when technically all he really needs to do is take everyone to the future, past that moment.

Now, I have been thinking about this problem recently, and came up with a solution that lies simply in providing limitations on time-travel, and with some careful workarounds I've made pretty sure that it should not contradict anything that's already been put in place in the story. Time-traveling really is a ***** to work with, though. As a word of advice to everyone, don't put it in unless you really, really need it.

What is your favorite pokemon to write about/Which one would you most like to write about? Why?
    Scyther. *coughs in the direction of her Quest for the Legends spin-offs*

Why? Well, it just sort of happened. I made up this whole Scytherian ideology more or less by coincidence when making up the past of my favorite character, and I started finding that intriguing enough that I then proceeded to write a spin-off happening mostly within Scyther society, and later another one that happens entirely in it since then I'd gotten completely hooked.

No, not really. I always want to write more. I'm not always able to, but the will is always there.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • First, I'd like to say I agree with you on time travel. It's a bit of a pain to work through -- or even to find a reason to work through it, given logic.

And, as a fangirl's nitpick:

(The only reason given in the books for not doing so is that in the particular context time-travel was actually used would involve the main characters seeing their own future selves in the past, which would freak them out too much - there are no technical restrictions on causing paradoxes at all.)

Well, actually, that and it has been known to create some nasty paradoxes, such as one wizard erasing his own existence by marrying his own ancestor by accident. (This is why face-to-face interactions should have been kept at a minimum, although the book also shamelessly defied that as well.) Which is a little odd when you consider the fact that if he didn't exist at all, how would present-day wizards know about that screw up? Unless that's what you mean, in which case, okay, fair point.

So, yes. Dizzying logic that should be avoided if at all possible.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    All this talk about time-travel reminds me of that world I just went through in KH2. And that reminds me of those short stories I want to write for that fandom.

I don't really have a favorite. Before, I would had said any one of the Kanto/Johto legendaries, mainly the Legendary Hamsters/Gerbils/Cats/Dogs. The mythology of that interested me, and I considered myself an expert. But as for now, I don't have a favorite. I just write whatever Pokemon I feel like writing about.

Periodically, but it's more like a feeling of "I don't know what to write about now". So I just meander away and wait for an idea to hit me again. Like with those KH2 short stories I was talking about. I couldn't think of what to write about in them a few months ago, but now I have an idea.

badgerskunk

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2008

My short story intro:

Ash looked over his shoulder to his father, he had that familiar smirk on his face. Ash began racing in his head thinking of an activity he might have to do outside the house on a thursday night but nothing came to mind. He felt a hand over his, and he closed his eyes.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years

Not particularly, but I was going to have some scenes in my fics Feral Twilight and Biohazard involving a fakemon of mine that has the power to show scenes of the past. Thing is, though, the creature only shows nightmarish scenes.

As for the favorite pokemon to write about question, mine's lapras, but I tend to write more about my fakemon, esp. my dragonite rank wolves Metalupus and Canersia.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    All this talk about time-travel reminds me of that world I just went through in KH2. And that reminds me of those short stories I want to write for that fandom.

The black and white Mickey level? xp

Any. But I like Absol a lot - and really, it's not "what my favorite pokémon is to write about. It's more like "What are my favorite ones to feature in fanfics." I also, obviously, like Persian. But my likes tend to extent to any pokémon that is furry and goes on all fours. Mammal :3

It's less "I don't want to write anymore" and more "I don't want to write anything right now ." I've never really lost my love to write, I just periodically have a sort mindblock that goes along the lines of: "I can't write right now, I suck."

Bay

Years
  • What is your favorite pokemon to write about/Which one would you most like to write about? Why?

I really have no preference, but I did really enjoy writing about the Crawdaunt from my one shot "Forever Young". The pokedex entry of it really got to me thinking as to why they like to battle...XD

Also, even though I have a Ninetales in "Nothing, Everything", one of the pokedex entries also gave me an idea of another chapter fic I want to write...someday. XD

Like Hanako, it's more of what should I write now. After I had finished "Nothing, Everything" I keep thinking of what I should write next. I have a couple other writing projects I might embrak on...though at the moment I'm busy with schoolwork. :X

Last edited:

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    ^Ohhhhhhh yeah, Forever Young was an awesome one shot. It had one of my favorite pokemon AND was named after one of my favorite songs, in addition xD

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years

Nope. The only story I can think of off the top of my head which has time travel in it is an intended one-shot which was the very, very first thing I ever wrote for Pokemon. It never got finished, let alone published, but it included the GS ball and my theory (at the time) of its possible use. I still kind of wanna go back and rewrite it, only it has several major plotholes I still have to work out which might not be work-outable...

Other than that, I can't think of any, although I do have some ideas on how the whole thing could work (or how I'd do it) just from watching too many sci-fi shows. ^.^;;

Dragonair. :3 I wrote them for the first time in 'Another Ordinary Day' for the battle contest on SPPf, and it's got me hooked; because they don't have limbs of any kind, but can fly, it just fascinated me to try and describe their movement in the air. Aerodactyl are pretty cool too. :3 Just dragons and flyers in general, I guess. ^.^;; *likes flying*

I also like writing about arcanine... there's an arcanine character in CaC, and he's awesome to write. Spinarak/ariados are also cool, because of their ability to use string and webs and climb on the walls. :3

Finally, the unown. Their existence and what's said about them--or not said--is interesting in a mythological context alone, but also because I think they have so much potential for a major presence which is left untapped in canon. I some vague ideas for a fic I wanna do about them, but nothing quite concrete enough to start working.

Do you ever get that feeling in writing where you just don't want to write anymore

*seconds what almost everyone else has said*

I never lose interest in a story, I really don't, at least not so much that I never write it again. I have several stories which I'd love to dust off and rework, once I get the chance. So yeah, it's kinda like Hanako said--sometimes I don't know what to write now. Only for me it's usually not so much because of a lack of ideas, but too many of them. ^.^;;

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

Currently, I love writing about Latias and Latios. I don't really know why...they just enthrall me. The emotion-sensing thing lends itself to some cool scenes that would be really hard to do if it wasn't there, and the fast-as-a-jet flight that they're capable of just screams to be written about.

On the other hand, I've also been thinking about starting a crossover fic with R-Type Final which would have Mewtwo in it. The general synopsis of R-Type Final is that humans have created a living weapon that they abandoned in space, and it has grown and now is trying to consume mankind. The humans develop a new living weapon as a counter, and integrate it into spaceships that are controlled by the pilot's thoughts. In my would-be fic, as the ships become more and more sophisticated, they need more processing power than current technology can handle. Thus, the humans begin wiring clones into the ships' computers so that their brains can pick up the slack. This is where Mewtwo would naturally come in, with predictable results. Said results would be fun to write about, obviously, but I'm also interested in the huge amount of character development this would allow me to do.

I have that right now. I've gone roughly seven weeks, and I can't seem to write a chapter. It's not that I don't want to: I have plenty of ideas, but I just can't seem to focus when I actually get Word up and running. It's really annoying, and I hope I get over it soon...

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Now that I have gotten better since starting my fic, Poke Special Manga: DP, I would deeply appreciate if someone would scan through and review my fic more in depth for current errors I am making.

A thousand thanks in advance to anyone who does and another thousand thanks to all of the people whom have commented and or reviewed my fic! :)

~TK

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2012
    Umm I made my first Fic, Pokemon Aruma Region Adventures and would deeply appreciate some critism and reviews.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    What are your views on the people that only post in this thread to say that their next chapter is up or to ask for a review and never actually take part in the conversation?

Now that I have gotten better since starting my fic, Poke Special Manga: DP, I would deeply appreciate if someone would scan through and review my fic more in depth for current errors I am making.

A thousand thanks in advance to anyone who does and another thousand thanks to all of the people whom have commented and or reviewed my fic! :)

~TK

Umm I made my first Fic, Pokemon Aruma Region Adventures and would deeply appreciate some critism and reviews.

Honestly guys, why not just take part in the conversation rather than run through the flow?

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years

Hmm... None in particular but... Torchic I guess... Or more so, Torchic as a partner to the protagonist. I'm overly fond of them I guess.

As for which ones I would LIKE to write about it would be Aggron and Rhyperior. Both of them have this Super Robot look going for them (especially Rhyperior) so the hot-bloodedness in me rises when I look at them. I already know what I have planned for Aggron or actually Aron in Distanced Hurricane which is a long way in but Rhyperior... I'll have to do something special for it one of these days...

Currently yeah, it's the same as txteclipse. I know what I want, I planned it and even wrote drafts on paper but my focus flies out the window the moment its time to put that all on word.

I'm just going with the flow at the moment... Things are becoming more and more fleshed out for me as I'm offline so the break is doing me good.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Honestly guys, why not just take part in the conversation rather than run through the flow?

Maybe, I'm not the "conversing" type. I don't really like answering all those questions anyhow -shrug-. Everyone's different.

For the record, I have answered questions on this board.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Anyway...

Although I don't have a specific one, I'm currently enjoying writing about my fic's main character's Pokemon, Prinplup. I enjoy portraying it's Super Hero like traits, posing and "saving the world". XD

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
  • Off topic but: Oni Raichu, just let live and let others do what they gotta do. No need for pointless stuff.

As for time-travel, I like it, but it's something I'm not too interested in dealing with (EDIT: for now). Rather than correct the past by going back and altering it (and I believe that when one does that they don't really change the future or in this case, THEIR present time but only create an alternate universe, a what-if future for THAT era which is now separated from the time-travelers timeline. Thus opening the door to my favorite theme of multi-universes.) I'd rather see characters overcome the past in the present thus opening the door to the future for themselves.

Going back in time to alter an event, no matter how armageddon-like it is like running away from the current problem because you're too weak to deal with the situation at hand. Which is understandable on some points but as it also isn't. Ex: obsessive individual who wants to revive his/her fallen lover/child/friend and will selfishly do trample whoever they want in said-timeline to get that not caring or realizing how this'll affect the future.

Or military freedom fighting group who time jump to wipe out said evil group but too blind on their ambitions to realize that said group is utterly different from the one in their timeline down to who's in the ranks, whose alive/active to the technology they're using and are plainly put, the good-guys of the story.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back