• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Hmmm, well it's not as bad a gap as PaisShipping(GiovannixMax). That one's got like...30-40 years on it? And it's a yaoi pairing at that. Max wouldn't know what's going on...guess he'll just go along with it.
o_O The shipping community will come up with anything...
But the ship with the biggest age discrepancy would probably be GhostOfMaidensPeakxAsh...

Idea: What about a PMD-like fic, except instead of rescue missions, this team of Pokemon does bank robberies and mob hits?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
But the ship with the biggest age discrepancy would probably be GhostOfMaidensPeakxAsh...

Yes...that's where I typically hang out if I'm on Serebii...seeing as how fan fics are divided by whether they're shipping or not.

Interesting ship. Personally, that one sounds better...just cause PaisShipping makes me think Giovanni is the next Michael Jackson.

Idea: What about a PMD-like fic, except instead of rescue missions, this team of Pokemon does bank robberies and mob hits?

Sounds like Silver's Pokemon.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
no comment on Paishipping, some things just shouldn't be touched.

Well, also in the sense that 'pais' means 'sex slave'...makes me think more of the Michael Jackson deal.

-goes to take a peek-

Bay

Years

Haha, I know. They do want everyone to have a dance partner. XD

And about that idea DarkPersian 479: would love to see that! If you're thinking of writing that, that would so totally read that. ^^

Now here's a heated topic that came from Serebii and I want to hear your guys' ophinion on this:

When is it plausible to use the canon setting and when it is plausible to just use your own settings? If using canon setting, is adding/taking out a few features (say buildings, cities, etc.) breaking canon, expanding canon, or something else?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
* Elizabeth Swann was my favorite character >:( *

Personally, I thought she was cool in the first movie but the sort of character who would get the fic reviewers to scream Mary Sue if the third was a fanfiction. I mean, queen of the pirates, beautiful, can get numerous men to be wrapped around her finger, et cetera...

The only reason the dog talked on Scooby-Doo is because those people were smoking pot.

Oh, definitely. Or at least Shaggy was. The others were just humoring him.

LOL WUT?! I've never seen a Harvest Moon fan-fic. HEHE! I'm going to find one.

Oh yes. XD Thousands on FFNet, and then there's communities on LJ with a bunch of them. Most of them are about the farmer kid getting in the pants of one of the city chicks, though.

How do you execute previews to your fictions? Do you go with the usual excerpt from the story, or do your try things more creative?

Uh... I don't preview my fics. Mostly because I feel cheap when I do so (because I don't like posting chapter parts before the chapter's ready to actually be posted). And am likely to change the storyline of the chapter five billion times during the course of writing it.

Ghost of Maiden's Peak x Max

How's that for a nevermetship?

When is it plausible to use the canon setting and when it is plausible to just use your own settings? If using canon setting, is adding/taking out a few features (say buildings, cities, etc.) breaking canon, expanding canon, or something else?

When the story calls for either a canon place or a fan-created place. For example, if you need a big city with a bunch of psychics in Kanto, I really don't think you should bother creating a new place when you have Saffron City. Likewise, if you want to write a fic about American kids going out on a Pokemon journey, you might as well just create a new region based on someplace in the United States. Furthermore, if you absolutely need to add places to a canon city or add cities to a canon region, because canon never shows us the entire place (even in the games), you might get away with it (because, hey, it's not like canon hasn't done the same thing -- *motions to the Battle Frontier and every town of the day ever*). It really just depends on what you want to do.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
How's that for a nevermetship?

And that obviously breaks the 'biggest age gap', too.

If you are working with a made-up region, then of course use you're using non-canon settings. When working with canon settings, if the story takes place a good bit after the last we heard of it, then of course it's had to have had some kind of change. It's just expanding canon, and if done correctly, it's nice. But, destorying things that were there that were of importance isn't a good idea(i.e GSC Ghost Tower Kanto Radio Tower)

Oh, sorry bout the italics...they won't die.

Edit:

Oh yes. XD Thousands on FFNet, and then there's communities on LJ with a bunch of them. Most of them are about the farmer kid getting in the pants of one of the city chicks, though.

WHOA.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
*sigh* I had a big reply typed up and PC ate it :(.
I have strong feelings about this topic that I talked about on Serebii :)
Basically, if I did not have a good enough plot that justifies changing tiny parts of canon to make certain things have more depth I would not be writing fanfic in the first place ;).
Why make up a whole new place when canon places will work just as well, if not better, for my story?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I want me mojo back. T_T

It's the same as fakemon. If there isn't any other location in canon that would fulfill the purpose that you need, then it's okay to make up your own location. But there's no point in, say, creating an island full of pink Pokemon that are pink because they eat a special berry just to explore the side affects of that pink berry that were never stated in canon anyhow.

Can I dance with him? :3
If I can have either Murray or Sam. =3

Hmmm, well it's not as bad a gap as PaisShipping(GiovannixMax). That one's got like...30-40 years on it? And it's a yaoi pairing at that.
XD The biggest age discrepancy for a ship I came up with is a six-year-old and a 3,036-year-old (who looks thirty-six). It popped into my mind one day, and then I quickly booted it back out. But it keeps coming back. ;~;

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If I can have either Murray or Sam. =3

Of course. ;D

XD The biggest age discrepancy for a ship I came up with is a six-year-old and a 3,036-year-old (who looks thirty-six). It popped into my mind one day, and then I quickly booted it back out. But it keeps coming back. ;~;

Uweeheehee.

I want me mojo back. T_T

I didn't know you lost it. O_o

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
But there's no point in, say, creating an island full of pink Pokemon that are pink because they eat a special berry just to explore the side affects of that pink berry that were never stated in canon anyhow.
But there is a point in using such a real island to explore side effects that aren't stated in canon if it makes a good story and makes sense in terms of the natural growth of human understanding :).
That is the point I think, nearly anything can be justified by having a good supportive plot .
And if some readers don't like the idea in the first place or think it is silly there is no reason why they have to read it :). You can't please everyone :).
Some of the canon stories are ten times as silly as anything I could ever make up about pink berries anyway ;). Ash turning into a pikachu anyone ? :D

When you are writing a chapter how do keep yourself focused?

Last edited:

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years

Hmm... Good question. Me, I typically plan the chapter out beforehand so I don't get off track, but then, I tend to find myself wandering off on all kinds of tangents anyways, which is kind of a problem I'm having on Chapter Two of Feral Twilight.

Anyways, I'm also a little bit stuck on trying to make sense with one of the character's I've decided to have appear in my fic.

Miror B. from the Pokemon colosseum and XD games is the one I'm kind of having a hard time justifying. In my rough draft, I had him as kind of that guy who's motives aren't clear until near the end (kind of like he was in XD). But now, I'm just not sure if I should have him at all. In the original version, he battled my hero at some points and he had this one shadow Pokemon with him called Destail ( http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/HuntsmanSkunk/Destail2.jpg ), but after thinking it over, it just doesn't seem like he adds much to the plot... So, anyone got any advice as to whether or not I should just edit him out?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I don't. Which is why I haven't written anything in the past two days. But when I am writing, I just keep scrawling away with my pencil.

But there is a point in using such a real island to explore side effects that aren't stated in canon if it makes a good story and makes sense in terms of the natural growth of human understanding
That's what I mean. If you have a story idea that fits in with a canon setting, based on the knowledge given in canon, why create a new place to explore something that wasn't explored in canon?

It's like others have said about that island: There was more to explore on that island that couldn't just be covered in a twenty-two minute episode. Or maybe a new discovery about the berries was made after Ash and co. left the island.

It can be justified writing about that island to explore something that wasn't covered in canon.

And if some readers don't like the idea in the first place or think it is silly there is no reason why they have to read it
Ah yes, the ol' "don't like, don't read" statement. I'm more of a "don't like, don't respond" person myself. Unless it's something that's really wrong (like a major canon fact that gets broken), then I'll respond. But if it's something small and rather insignificant, then I'll let it slide.

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear. Let me know if I'm not. ^^

I didn't know you lost it. O_o
I did, and it makes me sad. I miss it terribly.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

Considering I haven't been focused on writing at all this week...this is an interesting topic.

I listen to music that has to do with the story and chapter. So, I pretty much have a soundtrack to my fic. I just keep listening to In Bloom(though it has no relevance to the story) and inspiration flows through the pencil onto the paper.

I did, and it makes me sad. I miss it terribly.

What kind of mojo?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Depends on how drastic the changes are. The "canon" debate on SPPf was based on a one-liner uttered to impressionable young kids in a filler episode. That's really not worth making a new island for. Hell, you can't call it "breaking canon" because what some guy tells Ash & Co. might be a half-truth or an outright lie. Or the discovery of aditional effects might have been made after the group left the island. Now, if the fic involved an island where berries cause Pokemon to transform into 1990 Buick Estate Wagons, that would warrant a new island. Minor stuff isn't worth creating something new over, especially if canon is contradicted by a single sentence uttered in an episode that 80% of readers don't remember anyway.

Likewise, if you want to write a fic about American kids going out on a Pokemon journey, you might as well just create a new region based on someplace in the United States.
That's exactly what I did. I made up my own region, because, let's face it, TGI Friday's, Quality Inn, Hess gas stations, and Target stores aren't part of any existing Pokemon canon, yet the fact that my character patronizes such businesses is a part of her character. Though my region is about 40 years behind on building an Interstate highway system:/

BTW, I really hate it when I lose my mojo:/

Bay

Years

Haha, well I tend to lose focus on writing as I would be distracted and go to the forums instead. XD Well, usually how I keep myself focus is basically listen to music to hit inspiration.

And Skunter, about your situation on Mirror B, if you felt that he won't be that important to the study, then tale him out. Pretty much he's slow the plot down if he is of no importance. However, if you felt maybe the main character's battle with Mirror B could be of imporatnce, say Mirror B give him some shocking news of some sort or the development of the main character, then put him in.

And as of the island debate, I agree that making a new island isn't worth it if that new island is going to be almost the same thing expect for a couple differences. I can understand why she wants a new island to be made so that it is to be sure canon doesn't break, but the thing is sometimes its better to just use the canon setting and expand on it.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Miror B. from the Pokemon colosseum and XD games is the one I'm kind of having a hard time justifying. In my rough draft, I had him as kind of that guy who's motives aren't clear until near the end (kind of like he was in XD). But now, I'm just not sure if I should have him at all. In the original version, he battled my hero at some points and he had this one shadow Pokemon with him called Destail ( http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...k/Destail2.jpg ), but after thinking it over, it just doesn't seem like he adds much to the plot... So, anyone got any advice as to whether or not I should just edit him out?
WHAT?!? NEVER! MIROR B IS A MUST!!!!!1!!1!!!!!

IMO, he had some importance in XD, and a lot in Colosseum - I doubt he wouldn't have something to say about Shadow Pokemon considering his history. As his actions in the previous games had a fair bit to do with it, even '5 years later' after the events of Colosseum, so I doubt he would ignore another event involving Shadow Pokemon... and seeing as he has a Shadow Pokemon, I think that he serves a bit to the plot, just having one should mean something I think. But then again, it depends on what your plans for him are, and how you want to go about him. However, given his history in the shadow plot (only colo admin to survive into the next game BTW), and him having a Shadow Pokemon, I think it's sufficent, especially if he adds to the story in a way like Bay mentioned.

Also... well... look, it's Miror B we're talking about here! The guy with the music and the afro and the Ludicolo! Given that he is my favourite Pokemon character, he needs an appearance at least... and he could even serve as a bit of comedy relief. Sike Saner, get over here and tell him how awesome he is!!! ;)

Still, I can see how he gives you a hard time in writing him, such an odd character. I personally find writing him quite fun though, albeilt my fic is far less serious than yours.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
Minor stuff isn't worth creating something new over, especially if canon is contradicted by a single sentence uttered in an episode that 80% of readers don't remember anyway.
Ah yes, the ol' "don't like, don't read" statement. I'm more of a "don't like, don't respond" person myself. Unless it's something that's really wrong (like a major canon fact that gets broken), then I'll respond. But if it's something small and rather insignificant, then I'll let it slide.

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear. Let me know if I'm not. ^^

Exactly :). Besides, a lot of fanfic is at heart a breaking of canon ;). Not always a big break but some...
The only reason I don't read a fic at all is if I see what it is about and have a knee jerk reaction to flame it based on my pov without hardly seeing the first sentence. I don't think any writer should have to deal with that :)
I'm sure we all have one issue or pairing etc that we hate with a passion that others love to death :P

Sorry if I sounded mad, that silly debate is still on my mind :P. I'm just happy I'm not crazy and at least a few more people understand me here :).

Luphinid Silnaek

MAGNEMITE.
Years
Generally the pokémon world is large and flexible enough to accomodate any sort of circumstances. The game, additionally, is almost a sort of representation of a larger implied universe; the animé itself "modifies the canon" when it shows a million buildings in Celadon city rather than the thirty-odd that the game tells us about. Some modification will always be needed: expansion in the best cases, but breaking if nothing quite fits. As long as it can still be principally called a canon base, breaking canon is a forgivable offense.

It follows from there that if the break does indeed turn out to be too great, we can easily create a setting distant enough from what we know. If the modifications are minimal, the very interesting canon world is always there.

Miror B. from the Pokemon colosseum and XD games is the one I'm kind of having a hard time justifying. In my rough draft, I had him as kind of that guy who's motives aren't clear until near the end (kind of like he was in XD). But now, I'm just not sure if I should have him at all. In the original version, he battled my hero at some points and he had this one shadow Pokemon with him called Destail, but after thinking it over, it just doesn't seem like he adds much to the plot... So, anyone got any advice as to whether or not I should just edit him out?

You may also want to consider the threshold of relevance to the plot you've set up in the story. If it's very tightly knit, with a fast-paced plot and every detail meaning or contributing something, Miror B can be scrapped. But it you feel a nice side-detail can be tossed in there, it's perfectly all right to keep him.

I sound like I just replied to the question: "Can I keep'im, mommy? 'E's a good dog."

"I'll be really nice to him..."

Ahem. How far do you let others have a say in the workings of your fiction? Do you hire armed mercenaries to guard over your manuscripts or welcome co-writing projects?
The last time I asked anyone for advice, I think, was two months ater my introduction to fanfiction. About two years ago.

So, yes, I don't trust another's influence on my work, aside from (of course) the menial grammar or flow nitpicks. And the issue doesn't often come up, since I guard spoilers with state-of-the-art burglar systems and for some reason make muddled plots heinously difficult to sort through. It doesn't really feel right. It feels like using someone else's clothes.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Miror B. from the Pokemon colosseum and XD games is the one I'm kind of having a hard time justifying. In my rough draft, I had him as kind of that guy who's motives aren't clear until near the end (kind of like he was in XD). But now, I'm just not sure if I should have him at all. In the original version, he battled my hero at some points and he had this one shadow Pokemon with him called Destail ( http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...k/Destail2.jpg ), but after thinking it over, it just doesn't seem like he adds much to the plot...
Given that he is my favourite Pokemon character, he needs an appearance at least... and he could even serve as a bit of comedy relief. Sike Saner, get over here and tell him how awesome he is!!!
I'm not Sike, but I can still vouch for how awesome he is. Heck, he appears in my fic in capacities that add nothing to the overall plot 9but he does contribute to a very minor subplot). He pretty much serves as comic relief in my fic.

How far do you let others have a say in the workings of your fiction? Do you hire armed mercenaries to guard over your manuscripts or welcome co-writing projects?
I've embarked on a few co-writing/guest appearance chapters in my fic, and I've only regretted one of them (since that author later stabbed me in the back). My current co-writing project has been going on for six chapters (and will continue for two more) and has been going smoothly up until this past week, where I haven't been able to get in contact with my co-writer. But overall, I like the idea of sharing ideas with others and getting inspiration that way.

While I am open to collaboration, if I find that someone has plagiarized my fic (as that one backstabbing author did), I will descend on them and attack like a swarm of Beedrill. With that said:
Have you had any unfortunate dealings with plagiarism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back