• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

nylanalily

insanity is the key!
    Years
    hey guys, I am new here.. and i am looking for a good story, especially if its a good Pokemorph story (i had this thing about human to pokemon transformation...XD) anyway, i am open for new trainer stories too! XD I would really appreciate it if someone would give me suggestions, recommendations and such..thanks!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    hey guys, I am new here.. and i am looking for a good story, especially if its a good Pokemorph story (i had this thing about human to pokemon transformation...XD) anyway, i am open for new trainer stories too! XD I would really appreciate it if someone would give me suggestions, recommendations and such..thanks!

Because I'm horribly mean, I rarely read any good fics. So, all I can point out to you are horrendously bad fics. And, as you suggested, they are all--shocker, guys--new trainer fics!!! :o

Seriously, they're all over the place. Settle down on one. as for PokeMorph, I don't think I know any because those don't really interest me. ;D

And welcome to PC. Read the rules. For serious.

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years
    *is buried under topics*

How often do you think about Symbols, Motifs, etc., when writing a fic?

Quite often. I enjoy reading fics with hidden meanings and symbols, so it's natural that I load my fics full of them. I don't know exactly how often I put them in, but usually at least a couple times a chapter. This one is my personal favorite:

The teenager cast a glance over to an old, dilapadated cemetary. It looked mostly untouched, save for high weeds and one jet black tombstone having been cracked in half. "Yeah...you're right. I feel like I'm being watched...let's hurry."

The "jet black tombstone having been cracked in half" is a hint that this is actually his tombstone. Convoluted much?

What usually inspires you to continue writing?

Music. Anytime I'm writing, I always crank up a good playlist to keep me in the mood. Usually it's just something good, like Led Zeppelin, Green Day or Maroon 5, but it can be just about anything to keep me going.

Beyond that, my reviewers really help me to continue. It used to be that I would mindlessly crank out a chapter a week regardless of getting reviews, but as my writing improved and my chapters got longer and I got lazier that's gotten longer. It's been about a month since my last chapter, but I have been busy writing a one-shot and other things.

Where do you come up with names for your fics?

Well...it usually takes a long time to figure out. Sometimes it'll come to me just sitting alone quietly, sometimes while listening to song lyrics (like Gummy), and sometimes I'll ask some of my friends for help.

Do/have you ever let emotions such as anger get in the way of writing fanfics, or would you rather put the emotions towards energy for writing?

Nice topic. Well...any writer uses emotion to write fics somewhat, but if I'm mad or frustrated I generally won't be writing (unless I'm mad and frustrated at the fic). I like to think that my chapters are all generally close to the same, in terms of my emotions anyway.

And how about another new topic?

What do you think of using chatspeak (i.e. :) or XD) in reviews?

I'm afraid I'm guilty of this most of the time. However long and serious a review of mine is, especially if it is negative, smilies (which is as far as I would go, chatspeak-wise) help me when it comes time to build the fic back up.

It's still a bad habit I'm trying to get rid of, but what do you guys think about it?

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Wowowo, is it some fan fic sin to post smilies in a review? ;; Well damn, shoot me now... I spam smilies like the sun spams light. D: Smilies are fine. ;D

Anyone that dislikes smilies will be shot on sight.[/deadserious] >:O I think they're absolutely fine, I never thought a writer would dislike them in a review. o_o I use them all the time, and won't stop any time soon. (So, warning to all, I will spam smilies in my review) [/thankgawdwedon'thaveanabusesmiliesrule] As for other chat-speak, no, use proper english when giving a reply to someone that took the time to use it as well. I kinda find it disrespectful in a way to the writer to use leet-talk. (ur, 1, etc) ;/ However, some people just don't know proper grammar. *shrugs* So, meh, depends. Smilies are my weapon of destruction. >8D

EDIT: oh yeah, seven smilies, post is made of win.

Last edited:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    RUN NOW, WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!

Forget that last bit, welcome to the forum! As for finding good stories, just click around on links and sig banners until you find some. But, be sure you read the rules before you post or comment on any stories.

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years
    Wowowo, is it some fan fic sin to post smilies in a review? ;; Well damn, shoot me now... I spam smilies like the sun spams light. D: Smilies are fine. ;D

Anyone that dislikes smilies will be shot on sight.[/deadserious] >:O I think they're absolutely fine, I never thought a writer would dislike them in a review. o_o I use them all the time, and won't stop any time soon. (So, warning to all, I will spam smilies in my review) [/thankgawdwedon'thaveanabusesmiliesrule] As for other chat-speak, no, use proper english when giving a reply to someone that took the time to use it as well. I kinda find it disrespectful in a way to the writer to use leet-talk. (ur, 1, etc) ;/ However, some people just don't know proper grammar. *shrugs* So, meh, depends. Smilies are my weapon of destruction. >8D

EDIT: oh yeah, seven smilies, post is made of win.

Heh. Well...it's not that I dislike smilies or anything, I'm just afraid it makes my reviews (especially the ones that I put lots of effort into) look less credible and more noobish. Something I want to avoid. XD

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    Heh. Well...it's not that I dislike smilies or anything, I'm just afraid it makes my reviews (especially the ones that I put lots of effort into) look less credible and more noobish. Something I want to avoid. XD
    I don't think smilies make reviews look less credible at all, if the review was truly not n00bish, then it will be self evident in what you critiqued and how. Having perfect grammar and no smilies won't help a review that just says: "I thought that was good. I found no mistakes." What's really important is that the review is actually useful.

Bay

Years

Smilies I'm cool with. Sometimes the writers can show their emotions with those if they really like the story and such. However, if the review is nothing but chatspeak, I'm going to be confused as what the reviewer is trying to say.

Me, I tend to use smilies a lot to show that I enjoyed their story a lot. My reviews tend to be half criticism, half praise, half crack. XD

We better use smilies then or else BeachBoy and Astinus will punish us. XD

Gooberdued

< Is friggin' awesome
    Years

I'm fines with smilies. The internetz wouldn't be the internetz with out them.

But if they talk like I do over msn "hey r u gon eet dat sanwich kthxbye" then it isn't really professional and it is hard to take the reviewer seriously.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years

I see nothing wrong with it. I even know of a couple of SPPf reviews that use Pokemon smilies as as a rating system, and the more smilies your fic gets the more that particular reviewer enjoyed reading it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

That's fine. I mean, if something was good then :D if it was funny xD if it was sad ;; so I see no problem in it.

However, for more serious reviews so that new authors can swallow information, I don't use them.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Wall of Teeeeeeeexxxxxttttt! Too much conversation happening while I'm not here! *insert hugetastic frowny face*

Do/have you ever let emotions such as anger get in the way of writing fanfics, or would you rather put the emotions towards energy for writing?

They usually inadvertantly sneak in, whether I want them to or not. Also, my characters almost always act how I feel when I'm writing. If I did a chapter where everyone was happy, and then I'm sad while writing the next chapter, an event will happen that makes everyone sad. It's kinda weird, and I don't always do it, but it does happen. Holy crap...you just hit 'ctrl-i' to write something in italics. I never knew this.

How often do you think about Symbols, Motifs, etc., when writing a fic?

Always. My story (E.C. in reference here) is character-driven, but it is also symbol-driven. Light and dark, good and evil, things not as they appear, things representing other things, shades of gray...yeah, it's all there or will be there.

What usually inspires you to continue writing?
    I imagine all of my characters preparing to kill me in my sleep if I don't do some writing/planning every day.

I need to try that. Every single character I've written about so far has some type of killing implement: swords for the most part, but also lots of really fun exotic weapons that I would not want to be on the receiving end of.

Where do you come up with names for your fics?

Well, the "Eon Chronicles" are named after the books of the same name that play an integral role in the plotline of that story. "R-9WM 'Mastermind'" is named after the R-Series spaceship of the same name that plays an integral role in that story. Seeing a trend here?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday

If I'm reviewing a friend's fic, then I'll use the occasional "XD" when something is funny. I have an odd sense of humor, so I have to let people know when I'm joking or not.

But when the review consists of:

OMG! this story is really good :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I give you fifty billion eevee heads to show how much I like the story! *insert Eevee army here*

*review degenerates into nothing more than poster talking to said Eevee army*

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Hmm, with the above topic in mind...

How do you feel about SPAMmy reviews? (ex: Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! filer filer filllllerrrr filler lol)

Burn. Go burn somewhere. Kidding.

Seriously though, those people could at least point out their favorite part or something rather than just saying "awesome".

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    How do you feel about SPAMmy reviews? (ex: Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! filer filer filllllerrrr filler lol)

At least they respond ;;

And my, oh my, have I just found the perfect music to listen to while writing: the soundtrack to The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning. I listened to this music with the game on "pause" so I wouldn't be distracted. It's that good.

This brings me to a topic to add to the conglomeration! Anyone ever just find that one song or album that clicks with their story?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Anyone ever just find that one song or album that clicks with their story?

Face Down by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus goes with...what else? Face Down. That's where I got the inspiration. Although, the scenery is probably very different...

Do you feel like a man when you push her around?
    Do you feel better now as she falls to the ground?
    Well, I'll tell you my friend, one days this world's going to end
    As your lies crumble down, a new life she has found

Face down in the dirt, she says, "This doesn't hurt..."
    She said, "I've finally had enough..."

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Awesome! I love it when they show up and randomly raise their post count because they think the moderator of this section isn't on the forums. Then I get to infract them.

Like ninja.

Well, for my OSC fics... XD I found that... XD Oh dear. I have to admit I'm a fan of him.

Clay Aiken's album's fit my OSC fics. XD; *is dead*

Also, Peter Schilling's "Major Tom (Coming Home)". That song's just...<3

None of my other fics have songs that fit them. XD

And my, oh my, have I just found the perfect music to listen to while writing: the soundtrack to The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning. I listened to this music with the game on "pause" so I wouldn't be distracted. It's that good.
    I love the music from that game. <3

Bay

Years
    For "Destiny's Tricks," it's the opening song of the anime "Excel Saga." I thought the lyrics fits perfectly the interactions I'm putting for the main characters in the future:

And we get the hell out! (line repeated six times XD)

Even if we slip on banana peels,
    This is all for his sake
    I must say it, this is surely
    A kind of loyalty you might call love

For "Nothing, Everything" though, it's the Hoobastank song, "Same Direction," as the three main characters are going for the same direction (finding the plates for their own reasons) while they run away together.

But I'm not ever going to know if I'm right or wrong
    'cause we're all going in the same direction
    And I'm not sure which way to go because all along
    We've been going in the same direction

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Clay Aiken's album's fit my OSC fics. XD; *is dead*

OHHHHH LOOOORRRRDDDDD!!!

...Just kidding. Everyone to their tastes. I like Imogen Heap, myself, which I guess is weird for a guy.

Actually, I pretty much have a theme song for each of my characters, each chapter, and each story overall. Not all Imogen Heap, though (that would be weird).

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023

My beta knows I've found MANY.

Eh, at least I know some one is reading it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back