• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
Hmm...

Since "Sunset Dance" just popped up on my radar, and we've had a couple of fics come in recently dealing with fairly touchy topics, I think it's time we asked THE BIG QUESTION:

What's the touchiest subject you can touch on in Pokemon fiction? How should you handle it? In other words, how controversial should you get on which issues?

I personally think that suicide is just about the biggest one that I've run across- shipping fics, y'know. Artistic ideas or not, I really don't like the use of suicide as an escape from life in any form of fiction, not just in shipping fics but in general. People genuinely will kill themselves- and the more we send the message that it's acceptable to just up and off yourself because a guy dissed you, the more we forget that people really will kill themselves over stupid things, and, to quote Light Yagami, "Human lives aren't to be taken lightly!" I really think the subject of suicide as escapism shouldn't be something to romanticize or present as a viable option- it's a very personal matter for me, since the sanctity of life is one of my core beliefs, and even if I'm wrong and there is no God, well, this life is all ya get- if you die, there's no chance that anything will ever get better, is there?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I personally think that suicide is just about the biggest one that I've run across- shipping fics, y'know.

Umm...-whistles innocently and hides JaB-

What? Nothing to see here, folks.

I'm uh...just gonna...-flees!-

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I totally stole them from you. And you know it, too!

BLOBandbill.

Lawl.

Edit: Oh yeah.

FANFICTION IS HAWT.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
Years
Since "Sunset Dance" just popped up on my radar, and we've had a couple of fics come in recently dealing with fairly touchy topics, I think it's time we asked THE BIG QUESTION:

I personally think that suicide is just about the biggest one that I've run across

The sequel to Sunset Dance involves suicide. I'm just not in the mood for romance any more, as you can probably guess from my user title and sig.

I don't really think any subjects bother me. Except lemons. I can't stand them.

~Golden

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
Years
-sneaks in quietly-

When you visualize your fic, do you picture it as anime, live action, or what?
As far as geographics, I like to picture my fic as live action. But as far as battling, I make it seem like an Anime.

it all depends for me

I want some help on my next fic, I want it to have to do with Shaymin and stuff and the Legendary Trio(Uxie, Azelf, and Mespirit) i will gladly take in any ideas, oh the characters are:

Emily
Fave Pokemon Types: Fire, water, dragon, psychic, grass

Jared
Fave Pokemon Types: dragon, ground, fighting

Ashley
Fave pokemon types: normal, ghost

Shaun
Fave pokemon types: dark, ghost, bug, water, ice

So if any of you can help me, im in desperate need and I will be sure to mention you before i start my story ;)

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
it all depends for me
I want some help on my next fic, I want it to have to do with Shaymin and stuff and the Legendary Trio(Uxie, Azelf, and Mespirit) i will gladly take in any ideas, oh the characters are:

My advice to you is stop being lazy and make up your own ideas. As harsh as it sounds, you don't want to take anybody elses ideas and place it in your fic. Did JK Rowling take anybody elses ideas and put them in her series? I doubt it. You shouldn't either. However, you can be influenced by someone.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Oh yay!!! Fan fiction! I love fan fiction! I'll dream up a story overnight. Anyway, could someone show me some good fan fiction they've made, I feel kinda bored.
*coughcoughshamelessplugformyownficwhichisconvenientlylinkedinmysignaturecoughcough*

Have you ever stepped out of your genre comfort zone and found a story you absolutely loved?
With fan-fiction as a whole, I'm reading this genre of writing called FICTION that I wouldn't be reading otherwise. I haven't read a work of fiction in book form since I last took a Lit course in '03. My reading material usually consists of stuff like math textbooks, car shop manuals and sales brochures, and all manner of hotel literature (including a Quality Inn directory from 1979 that I won on eBay XD). So basically, ANY type of fiction would be out of my comfort zone, lolz

Oh, and the book with the instructions to filing Federal Tax Form 1040 is the Best. Work. Of. Literature. Evar. Well, it's between that and the aforementioned 1979 Quality Inn hotel directory XD

What's the touchiest subject you can touch on in Pokemon fiction? How should you handle it? In other words, how controversial should you get on which issues?
Any topic is fair game for an author who's twisted creative enough. But I tend to stay away from most controversial stuff, and tend to keep it out of my own writing. Not because I can't handle it, but it just doesn't interest me. Meh.

Bay

Years
I agree one hundred percent with Thesis that suicide is one, but also rape. I really don't think rape should be taken lightly and also I had a couple friends who been through there before. Even if you're going to write rape in a serious manner, you gotta be careful with the sterotypical crazy drunk guy sexually assulting you. Even boyfriends can do that if his girlfriend doesn't want that.

As for as me writing touchy stuff, I think the farthest I've gone through is NE with each region have their own beliefs which legendaries created their world. The thing is that could be related to how there's different religions in this world and many people can be pretty serious about their own beliefs and such. I've actually referenced something of that sort in one chapter where Bunny explains the Region fights is of how Hoenn and Sinnoh fought over their beliefs, and more on that will be explained in later chapters.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
Years
Silver Riolu said:
I'm also known as Golden Riolu's friend

Okay. One: you're not my friend. I added you to my friend list because you hadn't become annoying yet. You're someone who is stalking me and won't leave me alone.

Two: I don't know what I can do to stop you stalking me, apart from block visitor messages completely or just leave the site, and even then you'll stalk me on Serebii. I've asked you twice to stop and you won't.

Bay said:
I agree one hundred percent with Thesis that suicide is one, but also rape. I really don't think rape should be taken lightly and also I had a couple friends who been through there before. Even if you're going to write rape in a serious manner, you gotta be careful with the sterotypical crazy drunk guy sexually assulting you. Even boyfriends can do that if his girlfriend doesn't want that.

I hope I've handled this subject reasonably well in Visions Of Fate. Since no one's exploded at me on any of the four sites it's posted on, I'm guessing it was done as well as I could hope for, considering the subject.

~Golden

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
Years
My advice to you is stop being lazy and make up your own ideas. As harsh as it sounds, you don't want to take anybody elses ideas and place it in your fic. Did JK Rowling take anybody elses ideas and put them in her series? I doubt it. You shouldn't either. However, you can be influenced by someone.

okay okay dude, ill ask my friend next door *walks out the door and goes next door.comes back*

she yelled at me and threw the Wii Remote at me......but fine I'll make up my own ideas, for some reason, I can write stories in real life, but not put it on here....but fine ill try

Bay

Years
Ever read the epilogue to the seventh book?

*insert rimshot here*

Rowling's own idea or she got it from someone else? XD

(rimshot also)

In all seriousness though, sometimes getting ideas from your friends can give you inspiration. I heard many stories of people telling each other ideas and helping them too. A friend of mine is actually telling me a few ideas of his fic and I gave him a couple ideas too and help him with some of his ideas he proposed to me.

On the other hand though, sometimes I don't like it when someone post a thread and then they have a poll saying something like--- "What he should do next?" That meant the writer didn't think through the story.

Telling each other ideas is fine if you want to get help, but asking for ideas when you didn't plan the story out is not, at least to me.

EDIT: Jax, oh my gosh, I read your reply to one of the reviews and you inspired me to think up a story where you don't know who's the chosen one. XD

Last edited:

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
Ever read the epilogue to the seventh book?

*insert rimshot here*

*looks puzzled*

I kinda wish there were more to the Harry Potter series...
I want more books!
Well... You gotta end sometime...

EDIT: Jax, oh my gosh, I read your reply to one of the reviews and you inspired me to think up a story where you don't know who's the chosen one. XD

I got the same kind of inspiration yesterday by reading Thesis's "What not to include" Thread. I wasn't planning on using a rival, but now I am and it fits in perfectly with my story (and her guidelines *wink*). I don't really remember who... but someone inspired me to write from the POV of the son of the President of Devon Co. It sounds bland now - but that's because I really didn't tell you anything =P

Last edited:

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
Years
Oh yeah, Silver, nice socks. XD

The touchiest subject I can touch on? Well, I agree with Bay, rape is always a touchy subject. PokemonXHuman can be too sometimes, although GG has done it well. Suicide...I've done that before, TBH. The way I did it was the my main character sacrificed himself so that his arch enemy would die.

However, suicide randomly (especially when a crush or something rejects the person) isn't something should be used really at all. Readers, whether they realize it or not, are influenced by reading (and watching TV, as well). It gives them the idea that if someone else did it, then it must be okay.

What a cheery topic.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
I got the same kind of inspiration yesterday by reading Thesis's "What not to include" Thread. I wasn't planning on using a rival, but now I am and it fits in perfectly with my story (and her guidelines *wink*). I don't really remember who... but someone inspired me to write from the POV of the son of the President of Devon Co. It sounds bland now - but that's because I really didn't tell you anything =P

You do know that I'm a guy, right?

Also, I really don't know about whether or not including a rival is a great asset to just any story, since- like I said- the rivalry is really an integral part of the lives of both rivals. And as I think I should outline better for part five of the guide, only certain OT stories can really benefit from having a rival, so you need to make doubly sure that you don't mess up. XD

Yeah, complete agreement with Bay- rape and suicide are really hard issues to deal with. The only rape story I think I've ever read and actually liked was "Face Down", and that pretty much dealt with more of an abusive-husband type thing than just playing up the rape for drama. It's also, I think, the best shipping fic I've read. Ever. So kudos to you, Silver. :3 (Come to think of it, now that the lounge has two Silvers, we need to give one of you a new nickname... Alright, Silver Smeargle, you are now officially SSS, prounounced "Triple S"). XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back