• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
What's the touchiest subject you can touch on in Pokemon fiction? How should you handle it? In other words, how controversial should you get on which issues?
I barely touch death in my own fic.

Personally, I prefer when fics don't have to rely on over-the-top stuff as a mechanism for attracting viewers. It's like a slasher flick for writing. There's gore, violent sex, busloads of babies rigged with carbombs or what have you, that will attract readers, but that doesn't mean that it's good. It has people thinking "Oh damn, that sh*ts twisted the eff up!!" and for some reason people like that.

If it has a purpose then that's okay, but if it's just there as a selling point then I don't have much respect for it.

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
Sorry about that Thesis, you avatar is very misleading.

When I read it, i was slightly confused but I think i figured it out so it would work along the guidelines. I'll check again, just to be sure.
Although I had no place to put the grass type starter without a rival, so it is quite helpful(even though it isn't necessary).

Burnt Flower

Horror Mistress
Years
What's the touchiest subject you can touch on in Pokemon fiction? How should you handle it? In other words, how controversial should you get on which issues?

I agree with people who say rape; it's a subject I would write about, but I'd be very careful on how to handle it. I think any subject can be written with the adequate mentality. And the most controversial topic I have written about would be cannibalism.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I agree with people who say rape; it's a subject I would write about, but I'd be very careful on how to handle it.

-hides Face Down-

Is it just me, or is everyone trying to gang up on me, or...?

Just kidding.

I'm not answering the topic because I can't think of anything.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
What do you think of using real places/pop culture/soft drinks/other real stuff in fics?
My opinion is that the Pokemon world is it's own world, and not a place like our own. So reading a "real" brand in a fic irks me. Besides, there is nothing wrong with store brands.

And I kind of have to use real places in my Digimon fic, since it takes place in the real world.

Personally, I don't use touchy subjects in my Pokemon fics. There's just no need for it. The closest I get to is death, which I explored a bit in a short story. With any touchy subject, I wouldn't deal with it lightly.

My other fanfics for other fandoms have touchy subjects.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
However, suicide randomly (especially when a crush or something rejects the person) isn't something should be used really at all.
Ouch, Triple S (xD It sounds like Triple D, King Dedede)

Anyway, I agree with everyone else...Rape is a touchy subject...but Face Down was pro, don't need to hide it Silver.
Another touchy thing is extreme shipping. In both ways. And things that don't fit (SkittyxWailord...xD) unless you're parodying that fact.
But, I won't write into touchy subjects (except maybe death)...

What do you think of using real places/pop culture/soft drinks/other real stuff in fics?
No. It's basically crossovering with real life. Just like...say...uh...-thinks about new brands in other things-
-fails to think of any other things.
Oh well...

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
Years
However, suicide randomly (especially when a crush or something rejects the person) isn't something should be used really at all.
Eesh... I guess it wasn't a good idea in the sequel to Sunset Dance. I honestly wanted to kill myself though, which is why I used the idea.~Golden

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
My opinion is that the Pokemon world is it's own world, and not a place like our own. So reading a "real" brand in a fic irks me. Besides, there is nothing wrong with store brands.

And I kind of have to use real places in my Digimon fic, since it takes place in the real world.

I don't like it at all. The fanfic is supposed to the Pokemon world, not ours. It's best to leave anything that they don't have, from our world, out. Like in some fanfics, it annoys me how I saw a person having their main character using a Gameboy Advance. Again, Technology they don't have shouldn't be used. Plus it seemed tacky... Well the story wasn't that great, so i guess it fit. =p

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
Years
Eesh... I guess it wasn't a good idea in the sequel to Sunset Dance. I honestly wanted to kill myself though, which is why I used the idea.~Golden

No offense, but that's exactly why I think suicide like that is the worst thing. The last thing you want to do is put the idea out there to someone in a depression that "Hey, I could do that.", you know? I'm all for doing pretty much anything you want in a fic (as it is your fic), but doing something that could possibly lead to someone's suicide? I just don't think (however slim the chance may be) that it's worth it.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years

Since my first fic deals with the real world and a real world origination, I use real place and names. But that is about as far as I go.

This fic I have death and depression, the next one I am contemplating the main charter toying with suicide (he will not kill himself). He is distracted by something just as he is about to try it (aka saved (not religiously)).

To answer the last question, it depends on how touchy you want to be, and how you do it, if you make it (the touchy subject) look bad, then it might make the story look good.

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
Years
I don't like it at all. The fanfic is supposed to the Pokemon world, not ours. It's best to leave anything that they don't have, from our world, out. Like in some fanfics, it annoys me how I saw a person having their main character using a Gameboy Advance. Again, Technology they don't have shouldn't be used. Plus it seemed tacky... Well the story wasn't that great, so i guess it fit. =p

Actually. They DO have Gameboy.
And Nes.
And Wii
And DS

Like...In all the Pokémon games, you start out with a console in your room...
So that stuff should be an exception, shouldn't it?

txteclipse

The Last
Years
And Nes.
And Wii
And DS

Yes. Now that you say that, the Pokedex describes Pokemon using real-world animals. Like Pidgey is the "small bird" pokemon, I think. So I would even go so far as to say that you can have a mixture of animals and Pokemon, if you're inclined. I don't do so, but it's an interesting thought.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
And Nes.
And Wii
And DS

Well, how else is he supposed to pass the first nine years of his life?
The main character's bedroom will always have a TV in it with Nintendo's latest system hooked up.

From the grand list of Pokemon video game clichés.

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
And Nes.
And Wii
And DS

LOL! Wow, I forgot about the Nes.
That does make sense...
Good point.

I don't remember why I didn't like the Gameboy...
My guess was that the author didn't know how to incorporate it properly.
He kept tweaking the Gameboy so it was like a "greater Pokedex" ( a cell phone and game at the same time - and he did it really badly)
I remember that a mod got mad at him for that, lol...

Normal parts of world (like the Bird example and technology) are perfectly fine.
Everything I believed and knew is now so... confusing... Lol ^ ^

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
He could engage in stirring up random forum wank over at a certain green-colored forum.
Making mailboxes go boom is another way kids his age keep themselves entertained.

One more thing I noticed...
My opinion is that the Pokemon world is its own world, and not a place like our own.
It's/its is right in the grammar advice sticky 0_O

Also, you kept reading my fic for so long despite the blatant and frequent RL product placement. Again, I think this calls for a 0_O.

Bay

Years
Crud...I accidently posted two threads of my one shot for the FFC challenge. Is there a way to delete one of the threads? I try finding the delete the thread option (Serebii has that if my memory serves right), but I can't seem to find it. >.>

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
hello?

I find this psychological disturbing and emotionally depressing;

No one has made fun of me for missing gas for 36 cents a gallon, and no one has raised any objections to the fact that my character in the next fic is going to attempt suicide.

Either two things, every one ignores me, or no one gives a crap, which kind of falls under the first category.

Just wondering: does anyone read my posts?

Last edited:

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
Years
I find this psychological disturbing and emotionally depressing;

No one has made fun of me for missing gas for 36 cents a gallon, and no one has raised any objections to the fact that my charter in the next fic is going to attempt suicide.

Either two things, every one ignores me, or no one gives a crap, which kind of falls under the first category.

Just wondering: does anyone read my posts?

Of course we do. It happens a bit to everyone, really. But guess what? What if we don't feel like messing with you over gas prices? Or don't mind if you want to have suicide in your next fic? You see what I'm getting at?

Nice...err...topic. But a pretty simple answer. Obviously, play Pokemon. =P

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years

Play Pokemon while waiting to get your own? That's redundant (I think)! He's obviously playing Digimon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back