• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
  • Where did the whole "ties of" thing come from, anyway?

Oh, and Frosty dear, I had an idea - if you have to limit SoE because of Lily, you can just have a new award called the "Lily Award" and give her the award for every story, keeping SoE as it was XD

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • I have no idea where did the whole "Ties of" thing come in anyway. The first one is from Oni's "Ties of Love and Friendship" out of the ones I've read, and then later there's the whole rush... however, Oni didn't start the trend as ToLaF didn't get that popular on FFNet enough to start a new fad (and on top of that, Oni prefers to use "love and frienship" not "ties of" as shown by his poems and so on.) Perhaps it's all just a strange coincidence? ^^;

Actually, I decided to change SoE because of you, JA =3

Yes Lily does have the most SoE awarded story compare to anyone else, but then look at yourself. I've read only 3 of your stories. 2 of them got into SoE, and the last one didn't but only because it's not Pokemon. In terms of percentages, you're doing way too good in SoE =p

So that's why there's the change to SoE... along with the increased difficulty to score high marks in the newest system! (I believe thlat this should be Frosty Rating Scale of Doom v.3 now)

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years
  • Okay, this is a minor sidepoint that may or may not sound like bragging, but I can't help myself. I'M SO HAPPY! I just got back from my writer's workshop. For those of you don't know, at a workshop writers gather together and read their works to get indepth reviews from other writers. In my workshop, some of them have been writing for 30+ years and have been published! *is so jazzed about that*

Anyway...

They loved my original (very short) fiction entitled "Sins & Scars." They liked it so much in fact, that I'll be writing a story based on it. A couple suggested that I try to publish "Sins & Scars" in a magazine as it is now. (You can find it in the "Other Writing" chamber here.) Anyway, I'm really walking on air right now, and I just wanted to share my happiness with you all. ^_^

More in line with what I'm supposed to talk about in this forum, I'd really like a few reviews for my latest chapter of "The One Drop." I'm doing some big stuff with it right now, and I'm dying for feedback!

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • o_O But Frosty, I only got 2 SoEs! XD I'll just have to write BETTER stories from now on.

Congrats Aiya! I'm gonna read your story XD. And I'll review your story when I have the time - care to review some of my oneshots?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Writers should always take the time to read... through reading others' works, you can come across inspirations, new ideas, new style, realizations of "what does this story have that I do not that makes this story superior to mine?", new friends/test readers or even connections to publishers, and etc etc...

There's all kinds of surprises in reading. Sometimes they can give you a good stress-reliefing laugh, or may even give you a plausible thought about many serious matters in life.

I wish that I can take a peek in Other Writing sometimes... but then I got enough to read already here... lol XD

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
  • Speaking of titles, on another site I am trying to talk someone out of calling their fanfic "~!Life of a Trainer!~". My words don't seem to be working but talk about an overused title.
    On another topic: I was just reading a fanfic at the Tower for the first time in quite a while and discovered something I have not had the horror of reading in years. Author's notes in the middle of a story between brackets:
    The sun was shining, tallows were
    singing, nothing could possibly go wrong. ( yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, people.
    Something 'bad' going to happen.)

Does anyone else hate this little author habit with a passion?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Jedi_Amara said:
    I've got stuff way past the 4th page that's never been reviewed Jon. XD
    But I PM'd him :'( If he doesn't review it, he'll make me cry. Not that that will affect his critique in any way... but I'll cry! XD

Casual Billy

Wargreymon: Miracle Mega
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    Well, Chapter 3 has been posted of Worlds Away. It's starting to get to the parts that I found most exciting to write. I really think you all would enjoy it if you took the time to read it. The chapters aren't super long, so you could easily catch up. Well, anyway, just letting those concerned know that I've updated my fic. cya! (hopefully)

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Orange_Flaaffy said:
    Speaking of titles, on another site I am trying to talk someone out of calling their fanfic "~!Life of a Trainer!~". My words don't seem to be working but talk about an overused title.
    On another topic: I was just reading a fanfic at the Tower for the first time in quite a while and discovered something I have not had the horror of reading in years. Author's notes in the middle of a story between brackets:

Does anyone else hate this little author habit with a passion?

Well before judging title, always check the time the work is written as well. I really don't mind such a title if the work is one of the earliest pieces of Pokemon fanfic... otherwise, nah XD;

As for the quote, well depends! Don't forget that in some story, the narrator *can be* the protagonist even if the story is written in 3rd person... but those stories are generally satires and/or humor.

And I *always* review all of my review requests. The only thing is time that's questionable... IB Exams coming up now I'm so scared~~ ;o;

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
  • frostweaver said:
    Well before judging title, always check the time the work is written as well. I really don't mind such a title if the work is one of the earliest pieces of Pokemon fanfic... otherwise, nah XD;
    The fic in question is a brand new one, basicly, the author has posted nothing but a big authors note in the fanfic section and has a banner for it even before he has written any chapters what so ever. I'm all for planing ahead but I'm one of these don't count your chapters before they are written sort of people. I was just warning him that there is a pretty well known fic with the same name out there already..somewhere. A title like that is so basic I sometimes have a hard time linking it to a single story.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • @ Quest for the Legends (ch. 7- 9)

-chapter title wasn't the most exciting... talked a little about the focus but that was all. Titles shouldn't only reflect the plot but also a theme supported in that particular chapter

-commonly writing prefer "Also, ..." in comparison to "... also ..." Also is generally used at the start of each sentences

Mark was stunned by Charmander?s evolution itself, but no less the fact that even though they had decided to postpone the evolution to a better time, neither of them had been able to do anything to stop it.
    long sentence that's best if it's cut into 2. Right now it's not very clear regarding its meanings and it's also very wordy.

...but felt he was absolutely unable to concentrate while still worrying about whether Charmeleon was still the same person as before or not.
    run on sentences... you need those conjunctions in there so you only have one verb for every sentence clauses. "Still" is used 2 times which is not a very good sign for diction as you want to be more diversed unless you are purposely seeking repetition. This sentence can use some major rewording.

-seems like diction/run on sentences and super-long-sentences-that-never-seem-to-have-an-end are problems that run throughout the entire story... I'll stop quoting examples of these errors now and hopefully you can edit the work a bit, fixing these errors.

-don't ever list anything with a mention of "first... second... third..." because it is a terribly boring way to present your information, unless the mood that you want to establish is boredom (especially those classroom scenes)

-now as always, don't ever name your character the same name as an anime/manga/game character to draw unnecessary allusions... i know that this is written before the translation for Haruka's name came out, but just a reminder for something to change in a future re-write, if any

-May's entire story would have benefitted much more if it's told in a flashback within that chapter instead of being an "extra" as if it's a sidestory... Such an important element in the story really do deserve a flashback in the mainstream chapters instead of a sidestory to tell us the details.

-a story have to be precise in details... if a scene doesn't contribute to anything, then it's best to be cut out to reduce boredom and the waste of space. The short event regarding a strange boy waving his hands in front of Mark's face is really not functioning to do anything...

-charmeleon still sounded like Charmander... not sure if this is intended for now, but we'll see in later chapters?

-have i asked before... but how come the other Pokemon's speech aren't translated to English? =o

-the extra could have lasted another page easily from some extensions of the Cydnaquil/Pikachu-mutant battle =p really right now it was an OHKO Ember...?

Entei?s eyes looked back at him, painfully robotically.
    adverbs cannot describe another adverb... best to rework the syntax of the sentence to get around this problem.

The trainer gasped; Gyarados formed crimson flames deep in his throat and fired them at the lion. Entei leapt to the side, dodging the attack easily.
    A contradictory statement in its setup... the trainer gasped, being surprised, yet Entei dodged the attack *easily*... really it doesn't make much sense.

-i was a bit confused at how did Mark realize that the Mewtwo there was a super-clone... not sure if there were hints about that, but perhaps i just missed something...

Good Points
    -plot is interesting enough to keep readers reading
    -May was exceedingly a very well developed character in comparison to all other characters in the story
    -has focuses on many details that no other fanfic speaks of, such as learning TM moves

Focuses to Improve On
    -syntax error and sentence structure
    -improper tone and atmosphere
    -other character still lacked necessary emotions to push the story beyond the point of only focusing on the basic elements of the story, such as plot and setting

Title: 3/5
    Grammar Basics: 8/10
    Coherence/Readability: 10/10
    Characterization: 13/20
    Story Structure: 7/15
    Tone/Atmosphere: 9/15
    Diction: 12/20
    Effort/Originality: 15/15
    Lit. Device bonus: +0

Total: 77

Can you believe it I'm actually only 5 away from clearing *ALL* fanfic review request!!!!

Last edited:

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years
  • Hey all, I'm looking for a test reader for a new one-shot. Well, I might make it into 2 chapters, but it'll still be short. Anyway, I need someone willing to point out major and minor problems in plot and grammar. It's a major rewrite of "Into The Mud." Please tell me if you're interested!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back