• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
  • Has anyone seen the Ash's comma theory? If so, what do you think of it?
    Never heard of the theory until now. I checked real quick and from the posts, I'm not sure if I like this theory. I'm in agreement that it's just a cartoon, nothing more.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Has anyone seen the Ash's comma theory? If so, what do you think of it?
    I find it hilarious, especially when they get 'comma' and 'coma' mixed up. I don't think it'll ever happen in the anime, but it would just be epic if it did.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Yeah, I'd guess that goes for most fandoms (at least the animated or videogame ones). The problem comes when one lives ina culture where the term "Pokémon" itself has come to be associated with an urban tribe of lazy, amoral, delinquent and parasitic mutation of emos.
    Really, that's how it goes for where you're from. Where I'm from, it's looked upon as nerdy, geeky, out-of-date, last season, childish, a passing fad, you're lame,' Lol you still play that game'.

Oh and Citrinin thanks for the link, I've been looking for something like this for months. You're sure there are no bugs right...

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I see, thanks for the info. Oh and you misspelled Emerald. Being too observant again*shot*

Methinks grasshopper should not be pointing out spelling errors in a post that lacks proper punctuation at the end.

*cough* Bloom's sequel. *cough*

Pfft. How many times have I tried to write that concept, only to decide to rewrite it a completely different way because it keeps getting angstier than it should be? Which is a shame because it talks a lot about Bill's sister, and Bill's sister is really ****ing creepy awesome. But for whatever reason, my mind is fully convinced that the McKenzie family puts the "fun" in "dysfunctional." I really don't even know why, considering there's no canon evidence whatsoever that it even touches the opposite bank of the River Crazy.

Has anyone seen the Ash's comma theory? If so, what do you think of it?

It's actually older than that thread, really. Or, well, at least a year old. Either way, it tends to make its rounds whenever someone feels like trolling a Pokémon board. In fact, it was actually in Pokémon General in its entirety not too long ago, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, to be honest, I can't take it seriously because it originated on 4chan (even though /a/ is a bit more serious than, well, /b/... not that I have anything against /b/ because I'm all for lulz too). That and it reminds me of a certain Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode that really did it better.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Methinks grasshopper should not be pointing out spelling errors in a post that lacks proper punctuation at the end.

In response to that here's a quote
    Astinus said:
    Yes, I know that one of the Internet laws is that when pointing out someone's grammar, you're bound to make a mistake yourself.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Has anyone seen the Ash's coma theory? If so, what do you think of it?
    Coma.

COMA.

COMA.

WHY DID NO ONE ELSE FIX THE BOLD PART?

To answer the question, it's interesting to think about Pokemon like that, but on the other hand, it's a silly Japanese anime. And when you think about it like that, then the show also makes sense.

In fact, it was actually in Pokémon General in its entirety not too long ago, if I recall correctly.
    It is the same thread that was in General, but someone thought it would make more sense over here in PFF&P, which doesn't make any sense at all.

NG try too hard. NG got fail. NG should not try.
    It's better for him to try and fail and learn than to never try and never learn.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    The one I was thinking of, I posted 1-3 times in, so I guess it wasn't that one, but the one I am thinking of would have never gone here.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Coma.

COMA.

COMA.

WHY DID NO ONE ELSE FIX THE BOLD PART?

Because Ash does have a comma problem. *brick'd*

It is the same thread that was in General, but someone thought it would make more sense over here in PFF&P, which doesn't make any sense at all.

Nah, I was thinking about a different thread. That is, I could've sworn that the full article was in another thread made about a month or so back. I'll look when I'm not as tired.

It's better for him to try and fail and learn than to never try and never learn.

Agreed on this, and with that in mind, first lesson is although the law of the internet is riddled with Murphy's Law, grasshopper should still be careful. That and he should try the period test I could've sworn I'd told him about earlier whenever he inserts commas into sentences. (Sorry, Groudon, but... yeah. Most of the minor edits I'm making to your beta -- which is almost done, I promise -- are comma splice errors.)

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    New question:

What is a good example of a sentence you can write up now that would make the best scholars cry?

if, i might. ad! their is a bare in teh livin' rum w/ ur uncle: idk its prety scarey to meh?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • When? I'm not good with remembering stuff...

I figured in an earlier review or beta. I give it out as a lesson to a ton of people because everyone and their mothers have trouble recognizing when they're about to create a run-on. If I haven't, then to be honest, that's something. (As in, seriously, most of my reviews mention it, which leads me to believe either that the comma is a really tricky bastard or that other schools' English programs just really sucked in comparison with mine.)

Basically, the period test goes like this:

1. When inserting a comma into your sentence, mentally (or physically, whichever works for you) replace it with a period. If what you get as a result are two complete, coherent sentences (as in, you can read them without any context, and they have a subject, predicate, and all the formalities a sentence needs to be a sentence), then you're about to write a comma splice and need either a period or a conjunction there.

2. If you're about to write a conjunction (and, but, or, for, nor, yet, so), do the same thing. Some people don't realize run-ons can be created by linking independent clauses (bits that can serve as their own sentences) with conjunctions and continue into what looks like a compound sentence. (Alternatively, they don't continue into a compound sentence but don't realize they sort of need a comma to make the linked clauses work.)

3. Same thing with semicolons, except semicolons are generally misused all the time, so my advice here is just avoid using semicolons until you can find a reliable guide to teach you the rules.
    3a. Colons as well, for that matter. Seriously, guys, as pretty marks of punctuation as they are, please go memorize the rules for using them before attempting to use them.

There's probably something else here that I'm forgetting, but I'll think of it in the morning, probably.

Edit:

What is a good example of a sentence you can write up now that would make the best scholars cry?

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

If only because it's technically playing by the rules. Technically.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Whenever you are combining, or trying to combine, separate sentences into one using a comma. Separate clauses being combined into one sentence, instead of two sentences.

It's all right here explained on the Wiki page. The basics mostly.

Dang it, I read so many of Val's reviews, I should be able to quote them by now. I know she explained this multiple times, but it's just not coming to my mind right now. But yeah, the period trick is something that she shares with a lot of people who have problems with commas, so I think (since I couldn't find it in the reviews she did of your fic's first edition) that she might have told you over her beta reports.

Psh, I should be able to explain it myself, but...I'm getting dressed tired.

And since Feign posted:

"It seems an uncommonly woundabout and hopelessly wigawolish method of getting anywheahs."

or

Plums defy! Rocks float!

or

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

or

I nosh the frotz and the frotz nosh me.

... I dunno. I'm tired.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • What/where was the strangest place/thing you've written on when you thought of an idea that you could not lose?

Look, it's the Silver kid who reappears and disappears randomly! Anyway, Just a Brother came to mind while I was gettin' cleaned up in the shower. That's right. I was naked and thought of a story that involved Silver. Doesn't surprise you, I'm sure.

And I just have to say this, but every time I type 'brother', I end up with 'brother'. I always end up doing that...one day it's just going to stay that way so I can see what people say.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    well I was thinking of brothel and bother at some other point there, so you're not alone XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back