• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    And I just have to say this, but every time I type 'brother', I end up with 'brother'. I always end up doing that...one day it's just going to stay that way so I can see what people say.

Um, am I just missing something, or did Syd mess up while talking about messing up?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Has anyone seen the Ash's comma theory? If so, what do you think of it?
    I find it hilarious, especially when they get 'comma' and 'coma' mixed up. I don't think it'll ever happen in the anime, but it would just be epic if it did.
    ^ I did notice, tyvm.

And I was joking with the whole 'NG try too hard' stuff.

What is a good example of a sentence you can write up now that would make the best scholars cry?

Examining the sign that read 'Fish and Chips', I noticed that the gaps between 'Fish' and 'and' and 'and' and 'Chips' measured exactly two centimetres each.

Or without inverted commas - Examining the sign that read Fish and Chips, I noticed that the gaps between Fish and and and and and Chips measured exactly two centimetres each.

So much more fun the second way, although it's gramatically incorrect.

I love it.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I figured in an earlier review or beta. I give it out as a lesson to a ton of people because everyone and their mothers have trouble recognizing when they're about to create a run-on. If I haven't, then to be honest, that's something. (As in, seriously, most of my reviews mention it, which leads me to believe either that the comma is a really tricky bastard or that other schools' English programs just really sucked in comparison with mine.)

Basically, the period test goes like this:

1. When inserting a comma into your sentence, mentally (or physically, whichever works for you) replace it with a period. If what you get as a result are two complete, coherent sentences (as in, you can read them without any context, and they have a subject, predicate, and all the formalities a sentence needs to be a sentence), then you're about to write a comma splice and need either a period or a conjunction there.

2. If you're about to write a conjunction (and, but, or, for, nor, yet, so), do the same thing. Some people don't realize run-ons can be created by linking independent clauses (bits that can serve as their own sentences) with conjunctions and continue into what looks like a compound sentence. (Alternatively, they don't continue into a compound sentence but don't realize they sort of need a comma to make the linked clauses work.)

3. Same thing with semicolons, except semicolons are generally misused all the time, so my advice here is just avoid using semicolons until you can find a reliable guide to teach you the rules.
    3a. Colons as well, for that matter. Seriously, guys, as pretty marks of punctuation as they are, please go memorize the rules for using them before attempting to use them.

There's probably something else here that I'm forgetting, but I'll think of it in the morning, probably.

Edit:

What is a good example of a sentence you can write up now that would make the best scholars cry?

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

If only because it's technically playing by the rules. Technically.

Nope, don't remember that but thanks anyway.I'm copying this right now sensei. Oh and the semicolon...
    http://www.essortment.com/all/semicolon_rcnr.htm

uMz, I'z canot 2 bi tinkin of nOtin ATM...Lulz

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Um, am I just missing something, or did Syd mess up while talking about messing up?

It means I'm getting better at typing 'brother', but my proofreading skills are lacking.

And since WHEN did you start calling me Syd?

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
    Years
  • Hi there. I dont come here often but I got an idea that I think would make a great fic.
    I got an idea off a video I saw just today. I'm thinking of writng a fic that takes place in the Super Smash Bros. Universe.
    Some baddie (probably a charecter or boss) is feeling unappreciated because he didn't get to go in Brawl and got sent to [insert name here] prison. With the help of a rival gaming company he breaks out and heads to the real world via a portal and causes chaos in the human world by bringing all the big baddies in.
    I was thinking that the human world and video game world are connected by portals but the excutives of the gaming companys particully the big ones like Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sega and maybe some other ones, could only control these because of an item off some sort.
    The video game world has "Universes" for each game like the Jak and Daxter Universe, the Pokemon Universe, the Halo Universe and the Sonic Universe. A charecter 'dies' when the gaming company deletes thier profile on the computer and the charecter is sent to "The Bin", a world that is connected only by one portal and that portal is an entry portal bening that you enter the world using it but can't exit using it. Fortunatly, the game companys rarely delete Video Game Charecters (or VGCs for short) but pefer to send them to a world where they can belong. A VGC is 'born' by being created.
    Now for the main part. The Super Smash Bros. Universe has 3 seprate worlds: Melee World, Brawl World and Smash (orignal Super Smash Bros) World. Charecters that appear more then once only get updated not 'reborn'.

I spent a lot of time planning this but I'm unsure of weather to continue this so could someone give me feedback on this?

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Or without inverted commas - Examining the sign that read Fish and Chips, I noticed that the gaps between Fish and and and and and Chips measured exactly two centimetres each.

And actually, looking at the above sentence, I noticed that there was one space between and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and. Holy shhhhhhhhhhhh-

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    And since WHEN did you start calling me Syd?
    Just then, actually. That's the first time I ever used that in relation to you.

I figure because I would have otherwise called you "SSS", and that just makes me sound like a snake. I was told I can't sound like a snake. It scares customers.

And I was joking with the whole 'NG try too hard' stuff.
    I know. Don't worry. I was also joking with what I said.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • I was joking about thinking you weren't joking about not thinking I was joking.

That sentence makes perfect sense, btw. I hope. @_@ I love those sentences.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    They remind me of that game I used to play with someone.

You would start off saying "Make me". The next person would say "Make me make you". Then it goes back and forth with a "make me" added on, so that you would get:

Make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you make me make you...

And so on.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • What is a good example of a sentence you can write up now that would make the best scholars cry?
    That which is a sentence with the intended purpose of, shall we say, inducing tears - and, by this, I mean those wet things that dribble from your eyes as a response to sadness or emotional distress, not discontinuities in surfaces - from those who have achieved distinguished recognition for their endeavours in the academic realm, should probably do something so extraordinarily outside of the boundaries of that which is ordinary, to such an extent that the full and complete understanding of the sentence, both on explicit and implict levels, is so profoundly difficult, either due to an unjustified complexity or totyl lax ov spelin' 'nd gramers, or both simultaneously, that an emotional distress of sufficient levels is evoked, thereby inducing the physical process of tears, as was discussed earlier in this sentence; alternatively, of course, we have the sentence actually induce pain, which could be done in a number of manners - for example, the inscription of even a simplistic sentence, like "My name is Fred", onto a hammer and then simply whack them in the leg with it.

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    Maybe, writing has never been my thing, more so just picking it apart. I never get any ideas fully written out, nor do I write good.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Meneur d'enfer said:
    Maybe, writing has never been my thing, more so just picking it apart. I never get any ideas fully written out, nor do I write good.
    I SEE WHAT YOU DID THAR. ;O

But seriously, that's great, too. ^^ We fanfic authors love reviews. XD

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Lot's of reading, and schooling will help to contribute to a healthy writing style. ;)

And welcome to the FF where things are not always what they seem...

*ominous music*

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    I might post story, but for now my writing stays in free writing. Which is were I randomly write 1+ pargraphs about a random topic.

Oh god, academics are everything, and without books I would be dead. I just can't recall upon what I know until it is too late(that is in the case of school work)

But I guess my writing isn't that bad... I won honorable mention in the Save me a spot in College Campaign contest, nodnod. Uhm, my essay was sent on in an Avid writeoff, nodnod.

Bay

Years
  • I actually thought it should be coma and not comma right after I posted my answer to that Ash question, but then I had to go eat dinner and forgot about it. :x

I can attest that everyone here—or may just a few members in this utopia of a forum— are peculiar and mad, but are a delight---and that is the truth!—to have as company if you ever need such a thing!

Also, welcome Menefur d'enfer! Looking forward to reading your reviews here. :) Also, nice that you got honorable mention and such. Heh, my essay was sent to that AVID writeoff too and I got honorable mention, but that was like four years ago. XD I actually remember that the topic was on immigration. :O

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    Whilst I like to pick apart stories, I can't really review... I pick them apart and formulate a billion different things in my head, only remembering a few. The few that I do remember, I cannot explain it to to others.

I also cannot spell, and I don't use commas properly a lot.

Edit:

I meant octillion, not billion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back