• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
  • Astinus, yeah. Hence why I explained I would be a bit iffy when a person with a Japanese name is put in a story that is mostly of an American culture. Also, agree that the Pokemon world is flexible in whatever culture you want it to base it. However, that doesn't stop people from freaking out the rice balls are replaced by sandwiches in the anime. XD;

And Silver, yeah reading aloud your work works. I'm able to catch awkward sentences better that way, but there are still a couple I would miss. ^^;

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Hi peoples! Plurals goes because I'm happy! :D

Have you actually learned good writing skills in your current (or latest, if you're done with school or haven't restarted yet) English class? What's the stupidest/worst/least helpful thing you've learned in any English class?
    Surprisingly, yes. What I and everyone around me (here at home, that is) seems to lack is pronunciation. We speak English as if it was a, well, I don't know what kind of dialect of Swahili.
    Stupidest thing: phrases to go and buy bread. Not that it was too difficult ("do you have homemade?", "how much does it cost?" and that kind of stuff...) but the teachers teaching the same rases for three... erffing... years... made my faith in the educational system begin its freefall. And I was only 10 at the time.
    Seriously, people, pretty much all of the useful English I learnt as a kid was thanks to Nintendo and Tecmo (Ninja Gaiden). As a teenager I got access to TV series and the Intertubes with teachers not afraid to use those elements for or benefit, and things took a correct turn.

Also thanks to those who gave the FFL Bold Topics Index thing a thought. I'll try to rush it and have the first half of 2009 published before the month ends, because really, people, we're starting to roll-over on topics here. And I'll try to put the Musical, the Poetry Showdown, the Member Names Poetry (not sure if they're the same), the Todoroki Is Day, Astinus's Baboons, the bad!fic review discussion, and other... oddities there too! :D

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • And Silver, yeah reading aloud your work works. I'm able to catch awkward sentences better that way, but there is still a couple I would miss. ^^;

Such as that one? You said is...and it should be are... -brick'd-

Also, when did Astinus get baboons? That sounds so awkward...ugh...

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I forgot to answer the question. Whoops.

Have you actually learned good writing skills in your current (or latest, if you're done with school or haven't restarted yet) English class? What's the stupidest/worst/least helpful thing you've learned in any English class?
    Actually, everything I've learned in English class has not been the least bit helpful. Well, maybe when I was in Form 2 I did get a better teacher but that was it. I'm a Malaysian and was born in Malaysia. But, my childhood (3 years of it from when I was 1 year old) was spent in England so I learned a lot of English there. Other than that, I've learned most of my English from TV and Books, mostly books.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Do you use foreign names in your fics?

Yeah, some. "Ren" is Japanese for "lotus," although that was more of an unintentional inclusion than anything. I have another character named Aia, which was derived from Aya, which in turn means "color" or "design" in Japanese. I'm mixing English and Japanese names because the setting for my fic is pretty much feudal Japan superimposed over medieval Europe.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013

Um, no, not really. Sixth grade writing skills mostly consisted of different short essays and basically how to stretch a description of a person into a five-paragraph essay. The only thing I found helpful to my fanfiction writing was the basic outline of a plot - you know, rising action, climax, resolution, so on and so forth. I knew all of that stuff already by reading some fanfiction guides online, so... no, it didn't help much. And I don't really pay much attention in those classes anyway, but I think the worst was a theory one of my teachers taught us at about fourth grade: 'No matter how high the number, you must write it out entirely!' I'm useless in math and figuring out numbers, though, so I just go with the 100-limit enforced by later years.

Also, Death Note is awesome.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • Have you actually learned good writing skills in your current (or latest, if you're done with school or haven't restarted yet) English class?

I learned many good writing skills in my last year of school. Whenever I have a good teacher, I end up doing a little worse than normal, but I learn a ton more and improve.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • Was that tired-to-bitter part done on purpose? If not, that's an extremely awesome coincidence.
    It was a complete coincidence, and yes, it is rather awesome. ;)

Would you say that writing FanFiction has improved your literary or writing skills in general?
    Oh, definitely. I don't show any of my original work to anyone and fanfiction is the only way I can get feedback, aside from English assignments. I've improved by leaps and bounds from my first fanfic, which was a disaster, to my current story, which is something I can actually be proud of (Currently, though; I'm sure my mindset will change again in a few years).

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Would you say that writing FanFiction has improved your literary or writing skills in general?
    Yes to infinity.

In the short six or so weeks that I've written fanfiction, I believe my ability to write, particularly with developing characters and plot, has improved drastically. Also, my ability to find and articulate the problems in others' work has also improved. ^_^

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Would you say that writing FanFiction has improved your literary or writing skills in general?

YESYESYESYESYESYES.

I've learnt a heck of a lot about writing thanks to discovering the fanfic forums about the internet, and the fics/writing guide/reviews within them. Creative writing hasn't really been touched on at school as such until recently, and what I've learnt from that I already found out about on my own. >_< As such I'm certain I have improved. (Not to mention that now I know how to use, commas correctly! Oh wait,...)

Bay

Years
  • Silver, I didn't read it aloud, so...XD; *goes edit* I don't read my posts aloud. Not sure why. ._.

Have you actually learned good writing skills in your current (or latest, if you're done with school or haven't restarted yet) English class?
    In terms of fanfiction, not really. However, I learned a few tricks from my English professors and high school teachers when it comes to essay writing. My favorite is that you don't need to start with the introduction when writing an essay. In fact, one of my professors suggested to write the beginning (intro) last so that you already have material you can use as an introduction.

Would you say that writing FanFiction has improved your literary or writing skills in general?
    Yes, a lot. In fact, I think writing Fanfiction not only help me write good fiction stories but also help me when it comes to other things like college essays, believe it or not. Proofreading my stories also makes me work hard proofreading my essays.

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Would you say that writing FanFiction has improved your literary or writing skills in general?PC has taught me more about English - and life, really >_< - than the last three years of my schooling before joining combined.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Also, when did Astinus get baboons? That sounds so awkward...ugh...
    Wat?

I didn't learn anything useful when I was in school. I was always advanced when it came to writing when I was in school, so my teachers were kind of stuck with what to do with me.

I did learn that "Peer editing is the worst idea ever when you are the only serious student in the class." That was the worst semester ever.

"I was always advanced when it came to writing when I was in school, so my teachers were kind of stuck with what to do with me."

That advanced writing came from the fact that I wrote stories all the time.

Why is fanfiction randomly capitalized in that sentence?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023

Probably because it could be regarded as two words internetized(?) into one, with the intent of its purpose and title? Idk I think I am just typing stuff now duurrrrrrrrrr

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Astinus said:
    I didn't learn anything useful when I was in school. I was always advanced when it came to writing when I was in school, so my teachers were kind of stuck with what to do with me.
    Happened to me too. I think I remember writing the word 'curvature' and 'ecstatic' but the teacher had no idea what it meant.
    If you're thinking dirty thoughts expel them from your mind because i was writing about a trip to the beach...

Yes, definitely. My ability to spot mistakes in other literary works (besides my own) and annoy the writer have improved. My earlier works don't look too good in comparison to how I can write now.

Astinus said:
    FanFiction is a trademark name
    Actually, the real reason is because it reminds me of FF.net. It's nostalgic. XD

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • PC Writing Contest going up soon, guys. Make me proud~
    WAHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME

'Scuse me. Anyway, sounds like fun. Where do I sign up, and what do I get when I win?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back