• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years

If you could write your fic in another language, what language would that be, and why?

Binary. It would be quite interesting.
Lol at that. Let me try.

[SIZE=-1]01001111[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01101110[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01100011[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01100101 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01110101[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01110000[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01101111[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01101110 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01100001 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01110100[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01101001[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01101101[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01101101, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01100101[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01100011[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]01110100...

Translation: Once upon a time, ect...

XD
[/SIZE]

Bay

Years
How do you feel about prologues in fics?
Like Haruka of Hoenn said, prologues usually are set up a while before the real start of the story and NE needed that prologue. Basically the prologue sets up four years prior to the main events of the story and is needed because that prologue give in some clues as to what happened between those four years and also what's going to happen throughout the story. Ah, the beauty of mystery. :3

As for my feelings for it, depends on the story. I actually kinda agree with Redstar that if the prologue is just infodump, it's better off being mentioned here and there throughout the story. Also, if it's to introduce a few characters, also there's character development throughout the story too. Other than that, I'm cool with them as sometimes prologues can be intriguing.

Do you think reading fiction is beneficial if well written. Why?
Of course. Reading is what made me improved my English skills and also I learned there are different writing styles you can use to express yourself.

What do you base your non-canon fic characters off? Yourselves, Sentrets with flamethrowers? People in the FFL?

All kinds, both fictional and non-fictional. I base characters off my internet friends, real friends, family members, professors, and even ones from anime, movies, TV shows, games, and books. No matter what, real or not, I always am able to find someone interesting. XD

Dang it Abnegation, you reminded me I have to study for my information systems class. D:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Today I saw a boy(about sixteen years old) giving a talk about how Fiction Novels(Harry Potter, Twilight, ect.) actually made you more stupid than you actually are. He said this because whenever he asked someone why they read these books, they would reply with, "to improve my English." It annoys me to no end that he accused the books that have helped inspire writers and get some kids interested in reading, to actually make you even more stupid. The alternative, that he stated, would be to read something beneficial such as Law or complicated Physics. In my opinion, these kind of books would most likely turn off some people from reading at all.

There was an article in the paper recently about the increase of students taking Latin at universities across Canada, one prof speculated that it was because of such movies like Gladiator, while another prof suggested it was because of Harry Potter. I had to chuckle though... Cause the latter was my reasoning to learning the language. Though, it was also Harry Potter (and the Matrix) that got me interested in Philosophy.

Hmmm here is a thought though, would it matter if the story were written in third person vs. first person?

I think it is good to have them, to get your reader interested in the story, as well as allowing for a short introduction, seeing as some people don't have all time in the world.

Might be answering the wrong question but, of course reading (even in general) is beneficial to a well written fanfic/something in general. That is of course you are not reading something done by a 5 year old, or intended for a 5 year old, assuming your English skills are more developed at that point. XD
What do you base your non-canon fic characters off? Yourselves, Sentrets with flamethrowers? People in the FFL?

My non-canon character currently in my fic, isn't based off of anyone, however, and it is unfortunate that I have to admit this as it was not intended... But it would seem like he is somewhat a cross between Darth Vader and Voldemort... However it would seem that 'Aura' is the main cause of this, that even in an article I read (online somewhere) that Pokemon's aura is akin to that of the Force in Star Wars...

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I create my non-canon characters out of necessity. If I need a character to fill a certain position, I'll find a stand-in and develop from there. None of my characters are explicitly "non-canon", though my interpretations of them can stretch the term. For example, one of my characters is Krystal's mother. She obviously doesn't have one in-canon, though I've appropriated someone for the role that does exist in one area. This work is all about alternate character interpretations, so I'm free to do anything I like with characters as long as I feel they meet my personal standards for continuity.

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
Yes! Fiction helps stimulate the imagination, and will help readers expand their thinking. Fiction stories can be more powerful than nonfiction if their themes are powerful. Harry Potter is fiction, but a lot of people can relate to its theme.

I just make them as real as possible. I imagine them as real people, and give them personalities that 'fit'. Sometimes, I can base their personality off of someone I've met or seen before. That makes it especially interesting.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
YES FEIGN AURA = FORCE. THIS PLEASES ME.

/me remembers his short-lived, untitled Pokemon/Star Wars crossover fic

Lol it's not that I am trying to cross over the two... But my fic will be dealing with dark aura as well (in Coliseum I believe). I really should try finishing this chapter today...

Now that I think of it there is a bit of 'The Mummy Returns' in this plot too X_x

Oh well. XD

Harry Potter meets Star Wars meets The Mummy Returns meets Pokemon? :S

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years

Most of my secondary characters are based off of real life people, my main characters are never based off of myself. My main character are mostly either something that I wish to be or a concept of a person that I found interesting.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
My opinion on this might have been different if not for the craptacular choice of literature in English class, but I get more benefit out of reading non-fiction. Now, going back to the Harry Potter example, I'll admit never reading a book in the series, but I can say with confidence that Harry Potter won't let you know how far down the road it is to the nearest Quality Inn, or how to calculate your earned income credit on your tax return, or how to overhaul the transmission in your 1985 Regal.

Mostly people I know. Myself, my friends, teachers, anthropomorphic Persians who strike down flamethrower-wielding Sentrets with their LeSabres...

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Holy craaaaaaaap. Why is everyone suddenly so active? I mean, I'm not complaining, but I demand an explanation!

Also, *raises hand*. You'll understand that if you're supposed to.

Yes. It got me into fiction writing, which has taught me so much that it's not even funny, as has been reiterated at length here. XD

On top of that, and I don't intend to brag or anything, but I've been actively reading fiction most of my life and I have an IQ of 135. English is also my best subject. So either I should have an even higher IQ, or it's actually helped me in the long run.

All of my characters have at least one of my personality traits in order to help me relate to them. Otherwise, I base characters off of what I think would make a good character, or off of living people or animals I know.

They can be good if used well, but like EOLS, I hate infodumps. The less information the better, imho.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
'Benefit' is a bit of a vague term, but I'd say not really. Fiction is more of a form of entertainment, like movies are. Other than teaching people random facts in a very fun way, people could probably benefit more just by studying or something. And then maybe they wouldn't fail Biology tests. <_<

Mostly people I know or other fictional characters. However, as I write and plot, they never stay that way, instead evolving into completely different people (though their appearances usually stay the same).

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013

I'm not very fond of them. If they're totally necessary to understanding the immediate plot then I'll include them, but from my own experience prologues can be a bog source of turn-offage to reading a story. Hence, I will skim most prologues or maybe even skip, to come back to them in a few chapters once I know that it is a good story.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I've noticed that most fics on here have a prologue of sorts, and I've never really liked that. While some of some of my favorite parts of novels are the prologue and appendixes, it's usually a sign of a bad writer when they write a prologue that sets up the background of the story and/or universe.

The best kind of writer doesn't tell you what state the world is in via a prologue. Rather, they show it by developing the story and characters. Tolkien did this in the Lord of the Rings. He didn't start out with a prologue explaining the history of the One Ring, or even a summary of the Silmarillion... He started with Frodo and made hints here and there, and only told exactly what was going on at the Council of Elrond, a few hundred pages in. At this point you actually cared about the world, when in the case of most prologues you're just getting a history lesson, and who cares, right?

This is especially obvious in many movies... If there's a prologue of sorts, especially a long one, then you can probably bet that the movie itself will be near-incomprehensible unless you're familiar with the source-material. If you really need a prologue to set up a movie, then you're probably not developing the characters or plot in the right way. Most books these days, particularly bad fantasy, have a habit of doing this. Usually they're trying to pull a Tolkien by establishing a mythos, but do it all wrong.

Ha. Looks like I rambled on there... Well, getting to the point, how do all of you feel about use of prologues in fics? How do you feel about your own use of them? Do you do anything to avoid the usual pitfalls associated with them, or do you just not care and set up the world so you can jump right into the action? (Ironically, I can't seem to work around writing a prologue for my epic fic. It's not really a "This is the state of the world" kind of prologue, but it sets some things up regardless)
Hmm, I may have a qualm there - although the wording of 'usually a sign of a bad writer' doesn't make it absolute, it doesn't mean that someone who uses prologues is a bad writer, nor will most probably be a bad writer. Prologues can make for bad info-dumps if all they are there for is to do just so, but not always are the such, and stories with them can still establish the same things a story can without a prologue - I suppose prologues are merely a way to inform and set up the scene, atmosphere, etc, and some stories work well with one in doing that.

Not all prologues give a history lesson - some just offer a different perspective, or show an event that'll happen later, or so forth as well. As for the example of Tolkein, I raise you a Ursula K. Le Guin who has used prologues in some of her stories, and well IMO. Or John Hoffernan. Or Michael Crichton. I don't think the best kind of writer always chooses to go without a prologue. (And I also suppose a 'bet' writer is a subjective matter, but meh).

Movies probably are harder to pull off an effective prologue, I suppose, but again it depends on the story it's trying to tell and all. Also there are times prologues can be well done, such as... Pulp Fiction, for instance. I'll agree that prologues have the opportunity to be bad if they are just info-dumps and so forth there, but they aren't usually a sign of a bad writer, IMO. Info-dumps bad, well-written good. (Or maybe I just don't read nearly as many bad prologues as you have, or ones that aim to solely set up the world/history? =P) So I wouldn't worry about trying to work around using one in your fic, is all.

Today I saw a boy(about sixteen years old) giving a talk about how Fiction Novels(Harry Potter, Twilight, ect.) actually made you more stupid than you actually are. He said this because whenever he asked someone why they read these books, they would reply with, "to improve my English." It annoys me to no end that he accused the books that have helped inspire writers and get some kids interested in reading, to actually make you even more stupid. The alternative, that he stated, would be to read something beneficial such as Law or complicated Physics. In my opinion, these kind of books would most likely turn off some people from reading at all.

Which brings us to our next topic:
It depends on the story but I feel it can be beneficial to read well-written fiction. Maybe not necessarily in the same way reading applied physics would, but then again there are stories which may include information about history or objects or so forth which are woven into the tale itself.

Then there's the entertainment and relaxation aspect stories can/may give, the author may allow you to consider concepts, or consider them in a different manner, and for writers like us it's always good to read well-written stuff to see ways good stories can be pulled off to improve our english/writing skills, etc. (Reading fanfics actually has helped me a lot with this in a-ways). I'd also argue poorly-written fiction (or just ok/decent/whatever fiction) can also be beneficial as then you can see how to not write, and learn from that as well. I'd say reading fiction books basically can offer different, less obvious and factual/understanding-of-things-based benefits to non-fiction books.
Also,

Who did not tl;dr this raise their hand... XDDDD
It varies - some may (loosely) have aspects of myself or other people, although none are ever close to me, I have to say... usually I just brainstorm a bit and the character comes about by themselves one way or another with little basing of anything off anyone.

Oh, and... *raises hand* But what's this about long posts being bad? They can be more fun to read and offer to discussion and all... begone, you silly rule! =P

Last edited:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Also, *raises hand*. You'll understand that if you're supposed to.
Oh, and... *raises hand* But what's this about long posts being bad? They can be more fun to read and offer to discussion and all... begone, you silly rule! =P
Thanks.
I was referring to the fact that some(but not all) people sometimes tl;dr posts in eagerness to answer the current bold topic. In which case the conversation loses its essence and the topic becomes one-sided.

Do-not-tl;dr Posts Policy
This means don't tl;dr other members posts, not don't post tl;dr worthy posts by the way. XD

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Hmm, I may have a qualm there - although the wording of 'usually a sign of a bad writer' doesn't make it absolute, it doesn't mean that someone who uses prologues is a bad writer, nor will most probably be a bad writer. Prologues can make for bad info-dumps if all they are there for is to do just so, but not always are the such, and stories with them can still establish the same things a story can without a prologue - I suppose prologues are merely a way to inform and set up the scene, atmosphere, etc, and some stories work well with one in doing that.
I think a better word I could have used was "inexperienced" writer. Certainly many people that use prologues can be good at writing and telling a story, but most that use a prologue are inexperienced in the sense they feel it's something they have to do or just don't realize can be worked into the story.

Not all prologues give a history lesson - some just offer a different perspective, or show an event that'll happen later, or so forth as well. As for the example of Tolkein, I raise you a Ursula K. Le Guin who has used prologues in some of her stories, and well IMO. Or John Hoffernan. Or Michael Crichton. I don't think the best kind of writer always chooses to go without a prologue. (And I also suppose a 'bet' writer is a subjective matter, but meh).
By prologue I meant "10,000 years ago Gog Magog rose from the depths of Hel'des and began conquering the lands of Niph'leihem... [10 pages later] A valiant effort was raised by the Soldiers of Run der Quilham, and... [30 pages later] Gog Magog was cast down into the waves of the Eastern Sea, his blood melting into the foam that would later form the Sil-qee mermaids, vile creatures of sorcery and seduction... [Still 3 pages later] And his brow formed the chasm of the Serpent, a beast that willows and churns the sea into hot steam, its anger demanding sacrifice lest it rise to the surface and devour the ships or our people."

And yeah. You get the point. The other kind of prologue, a simple "Three years ago" and a minor event that seems important, but you don't why, are the kind that work. Or the ones that are almost a mini-story in themselves, only to be fleshed out into a much broader story in the coming chapters. The above example is much too much, and a common trait of some fantasy novels, while the minor kind is perfectly acceptable and largely what is done in our own fics.

Movies probably are harder to pull off an effective prologue, I suppose, but again it depends on the story it's trying to tell and all. Also there are times prologues can be well done, such as... Pulp Fiction, for instance. I'll agree that prologues have the opportunity to be bad if they are just info-dumps and so forth there, but they aren't usually a sign of a bad writer, IMO. Info-dumps bad, well-written good. (Or maybe I just don't read nearly as many bad prologues as you have, or ones that aim to solely set up the world/history? =P) So I wouldn't worry about trying to work around using one in your fic, is all.
Yes, I've seen good and bad film prologues. The Lord of the Rings prologue, simply a narrative detailing the poem of the Rings, was simple and brilliant. The following scene of the armies massing against Sauron verged on infodump, but they kept it clean and it wasn't a big issue.

Now, I want to warn you, but this is quite possibly one of the worst prologues in the history of film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FUAQ-dAh0g

Luckily, there's an alternative prologue. Basically, a prologue can make or break a film. The same is true for novels: you have to be able to make people care about the world in ways other than history lessons.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Gaiz gaiz gaiz!

Sup.

I hadn't been planning on posting in here again for a while at least due to reasons not that different from Jax's, but what the hey, I'll bite.

I'd like to turn this question on the head and ask why everyone who is against prologues are assuming that they're always just some big massive info dump with no relevance to the story at hand. Prologues are not created equal, people. You can have prologues that take place in the distant past, to set up the backstory, and which perhaps are the most likely to be info dumps if written poorly. However, you can also have prologues that take place in the future, to build anticipation and make the reader wonder what's going to happen, but because you'll be leading up to that point in the story it's rare to see an info dump here. You can have prologues set in the present, but not focused on who the story initially focuses on, a rarer technique which has limited use in general but can be really great when used well. You can have prologues that simply set the tone and setting of the story without conveying much actual information, as I used in TFCv2. You can have prologues that, at the time, take place in the future before leaping into the past for the opening chapters to explain what happened to reach that point, as I used in TRINITY (although to be fair, it wasn't originally a prologue and really isn't that great of a prologue since it reads like a chapter. I may change the name to... Chapter 0 or something. Yeah...).

Yes, some prologues are info dumps, but not all. You can't just condemn a whole aspect of writing because not every single author on the planet uses it as you think they should. Hell, I'd say that the numbers of prologues that serve purely as info dumps really aren't that many and those that actually serve useful purposes far outweigh them.

Giratina of Never-Turn-Back said:
Hence, I will skim most prologues or maybe even skip, to come back to them in a few chapters once I know that it is a good story.
That's basically a criminal act in my book. Would you skip over a chapter just because you don't like it? That prologue very well may contain information you need to know in order to understand the plot (my own TRINITY comes to mind, and Jax's AEM borders on it while also setting the scene and tone), and skipping it would just leave you confused and ruin the whole story. Any good, competent writer will make every single bit of writing in the story have some larger importance. Whether that importance is to advance the plot, further the characterization, set the tone and setting, foreshadow and hint at future events, and so on that prologue will have contained writing that was meant to be read. While it may not always ruin the story, it could, and most often will, take away from the experience if you just skip it outright.

Various fragments of my personality, twisted and mutilated to the point where in some cases they may not resemble me at all, while in others there are clear parallels between the character and me.

EkaSwede

Bouncy Bitter Bagel
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2015
Not Sentret with Flamethrowers, though I rather had Rattat with Flame Wheel ;)

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I'd like to turn this question on the head and ask why everyone who is against prologues are assuming that they're always just some big massive info dump with no relevance to the story at hand.
Note my post above yours... I don't mean to suggest all prologues are like this, just that it's usually a sign of a bad writer if they're published, and an inexperienced writer if amateur.

That's basically a criminal act in my book. Would you skip over a chapter just because you don't like it? That prologue very well may contain information you need to know in order to understand the plot, and skipping it would just leave you confused and ruin the whole story.
That's exactly the "bad" kind of prologue I mean. You shouldn't have to read the first prologue, chapter, or whatever to fully understand what's happening. It should be a basic understanding that slowly eases into more complicated issues while making you care.

Anthony Burgess didn't put a dictionary in front of A Clockwork Orange to help you understand Nadsat, he pushed you right into the world and you "go native" with it. A brilliant writer knows how to incorporate prologue-information throughout the story. Therefore, most info-prologues are bad writing. But, please, keep in mind that I have no qualms with the other kind of prologue.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Redstar, that blows my mind in so many ways I can't even put them into words. Just know that in my mind I am, as I always have been, screaming and swearing and writhing in metaphorical pain.

I don't even know what to say here. It's so absurd. I can understand the qualms about that specific info dump type of prologue but that's not what ANYONE but you is talking about. You just came in and said prologues, without clarification as to what you mean. And BTW, I was writing my post before BnB posted his. My points still stand though.

But then, you go and completely miss the point of what I said? What I meant is that every piece of writing in a story has a meaning, and by skipping one piece (the prologue) you lose that meaning and the impact it has on the story. That meaning doesn't have to be an info-dump, I didn't even allude to that. Stop assuming I mean things in a certain way. And if nothing else, skipping over a piece of writing is the height of disrespect to the author who spent their time writing that for people to read, not skip over as if it's some worthless piece of trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back